The Band

UNTLifer

I complained to the person with me about the band looking very high school-ish as normal... I got a quick tongue lashing from the ticket holders on the other side of me about it being the first week and uniforms aren't in, and it's hot, and they're all new etc etc.

Who would have known the Club Level would have band apologists.  Happy I made a lifetime friendship with my new friends for 6 games this season! 🙄

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • Downvote 4

15 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

What's with the ridiculous starting and stopping of the Go Mean Green chant?

They’ve been doing that at every game for the past several years.  Annoys me to no end.  Just comes across as Nicholas Enrico Williams has lost interest in the game so they want to play a little game of their own.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
FIFM
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 3

I know given my position some will cry insider-foul, but I've always thought the start-stop chant is fun. Then again my whole degree was rooted in writing music that subverts expectations, so...

6 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

They looked better with the back shorts tonight. SMU looked like Mr. Pepperment but they wore full uniforms. The football players aren’t complaining about the heat with 50lbs of gear on...

The Mustang Band wears light colors in even lighter cotton. No heavy fabrics in dark greens and blacks like the Green Brigade's. 

The football teams have been conditioning all year round. Marching band kids have all of maybe two weeks to get to the same place. Safety will always come first.

I too, still want a better entrance routine, but I certainly enjoyed the GB yesterday.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Serious question. With all the improvements and heat technology that has happened with clothing and such in the recent years, has band uniforms not followed the same path?

Some have and some haven't. 

DCI, the most hardcore of the marching sport, even canceled or limited a few exhibitions this year due to heat and humidity.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

The football players aren’t complaining about the heat with 50lbs of gear on...

50lbs is an exaggeration, but no they aren't. I say wear the uniforms while you're on the field, but take the hats and jacket off when your in the stands. Pretty simple solution. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

2 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

I know given my position some will cry insider-foul, but I've always thought the start-stop chant is fun. Then again my whole degree was rooted in writing music that subverts expectations, so...

The Mustang Band wears light colors in even lighter cotton. No heavy fabrics in dark greens and blacks like the Green Brigade's. 

The football teams have been conditioning all year round. Marching band kids have all of maybe two weeks to get to the same place. Safety will always come first.

I too, still want a better entrance routine, but I certainly enjoyed the GB yesterday.

I've always wanted our band to wear fedoras, sports coats and tie and sunglasses ala, the Blues Brothers to reflect our jazz heritage. To me, that would be awesome!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Rudy said:

50lbs is an exaggeration, but no they aren't. I say wear the uniforms while you're on the field, but take the hats and jacket off when your in the stands. Pretty simple solution. 

It was meant to be an exaggeration. I absolutely agree that the band looks better in uniform. They can’t make them “lighter” uniforms? Maybe they just want the kids to have fun and feel “loose” on game days? 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

They looked better with the back shorts tonight. SMU looked like Mr. Pepperment but they wore full uniforms. The football players aren’t complaining about the heat with 50lbs of gear on...

Not to state the obvious but one of those groups are well trained and conditioned athletes. The others, not so much. I don't have a huge issue with the shorts. Don't want anyone passing out and interrupting the game, LOL.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I asked my daughter this weekend why she didn't go out for the Green Brigade.  Hailing from the Lewisville HS marching band, one of the most BORING, but technically sound marching bands in the land, she responded that the Green Brigade doesn't take their technique seriously enough.  

Ouch, baby.  Ouch. 

If any football player, or group of football players, were assessed as not taking their technique seriously, who would get the majority of the blame?

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

I've always wanted our band to wear fedoras, sports coats and tie and sunglasses ala, the Blues Brothers to reflect our jazz heritage. To me, that would be awesome!

As the administrative staff of Jazz Studies, I give an emphatic "meh." to that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Former Green Brigade member here. I just want to point out a couple of things for the sake of pointing them out. In regards to the uniform, they are insanely hot and way worse then the ones I wore in high school. There is an added layer on the uniform then a traditional uniform, so the band can have different looks. With that, the uniform doesn't breathe at all and traps in all the heat. Comparing a long sleeve uniform that is being worn by (mostly) non athletes to athletic wear that has been specially designed for athletes to wear isn't fair. So hate on whoever designed to go with the "new" uniforms. I know many of the Texas college bands don't wear the same material as GB. Also, keep in mind the band does rehearse hours before game time in the stadium.

In regards to the start/stopping of Go Mean Green, I don't know why it's a thing. To my understanding, it done to distract the visiting team since by then they know how the chant goes. I do know some of the student section gets a kick out of it, but also many don't understand it. 

That is all. Carry on.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2