How About That Defense!

UNTLifer

First team defense allowed 1 rushing yard tonight, only 4 first downs (it was 0 for A VERY long time) held Ben Hicks to 9/21 passing for 110 yards, and won the turnover battle. 

Literally all of SMU's offensive success came against backup players in garbage time. 

People will look at this game and say "Oh, 46-23. Good win." Nope. It was dominance. If the run game had been even average we could've and would've hung 50-60 on them. 

Damn proud of this defense. You can clearly see how much work they've put in over the spring/summer. Hell of a game.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1

i looked over to my neighbor and told him SMU had 1 first down and 46 yards of total offense going into the 4th. He almost didn't believe me and i had to double check what i read because it sounded so crazy, yet it was true! proud of the D tonight

Edited by bstnsportsfan3

Defense was the biggest question (in my opinion) going into the season.  We got an answer tonight.  Much improved.  Such smashmouth football.  My only hope is that SMU was much better than they seemed, because they did not look too impressive.  Hard to tell if that's because a new coaching staff and game one or if it was because we have a dominate defense.  Yes, our defense dominated tonight, but it remains to be seen if they can continue that throughout the season.  Based on what I saw tonight from the first team D, I think we can.

Garner, who I have been critical of in the past, had a hell of a game.  The play where it read the bootleg, peeled back to cover the TE (I believe), forced Hicks to run, the made the tackle short kf the first down was beautiful.  Brooks was a blanket, Hall with a pick 6, DL getting pressure, E.J. trucking everyone in sight while still having time to get us revved up on 3rd downs, etc...were fantastic as well.

• Lovely Take 2

Time of possession helped, too.  Last time I checked, our offense had the ball for 42 minutes to SMU’s 13.  Even though we didn’t run for many yards, we still kept attempting to run. The worst thing we could have done was throw every down. We need the offensive balance to keep the ball longer and help keep our D off of the field. Great win!  GMG!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Garner, who I have been critical of in the past, had a hell of a game.  The play where it read the bootleg, peeled back to cover the TE (I believe), forced Hicks to run, the made the tackle short kf the first down was beautiful. 

We all talked about that play where we were sitting. Played to absolutely perfection. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Garner, who I have been critical of in the past, had a hell of a game.  The play where it read the bootleg, peeled back to cover the TE (I believe), forced Hicks to run, the made the tackle short kf the first down was beautiful.  Brooks was a blanket, Hall with a pick 6, DL getting pressure, E.J. trucking everyone in sight while still having time to get us revved up on 3rd downs, etc...were fantastic as well.

Told you (& everyone else critical of him) when Young moved over to DE, Garner would get more opportunities to shine.  Tough to make any plays as a MLB when you have a C or G blocking you every play.

Young was pushing double-teams back into the pocket all night.

Very encouraging start to the year!!

• Ray 1

I would have liked the score to be more reflective of our domination, but the upside is that we got the chance to get some guys, that otherwise might not have played many downs, a relatively significant amount of game experience. This can only help the team for the rest of the schedule. If they can come out with the same intensity against Incarnate Word, just think how valuable another big block of playing time would be for the backups, particularly after being critiqued by the coaches for their SMU performance.

• Upvote 2

I was very critical of Ref based on the defensive performance last season. I must say that the defense won this game last night and I am impressed. Honestly our offense only scored 1 TD in the first half and that was kind of a gimme on a targeting call that could have gone either way. Not taking anything away from the offense, they played well, but in my mind, defense won this game. This defense is much improved.

7 minutes ago, Venson said:

I was very critical of Ref based on the defensive performance last season. I must say that the defense won this game last night and I am impressed. Honestly our offense only scored 1 TD in the first half and that was kind of a gimme on a targeting call that could have gone either way. Not taking anything away from the offense, they played well, but in my mind, defense won this game. This defense is much improved.

Agreed. The Defense really came out firing on all cylinders last night and carried the team for much of the first half. 

At first I was bothered that the 2nd team gave up the points, but they gained valuable experience and so it is worth it, especially since it was against SMUt's starters.