MUST.WIN.GAME.

1 minute ago, Talon90 said:

It's a big game but not a must win:

/məst/

modal

• 1.be obliged to; should (expressing necessity): "you must show your ID card"
  • expressing insistence: "you must try some of this fish"
  • used in ironic questions expressing irritation: "must you look so utterly suburban?"
  • 2.expressing an opinion about something that is logically very likely:"there must be something wrong"

noun

• 1.something that should not be overlooked or missed:informal"this video is a must for parents"

Word Origin

Old English

mōste, past tense of mōt ‘may’, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch moeten and German müssen.

I mean going by your definition, it's exactly 'must' win. 

-We should win

-I insist that we win

-There must be a way we win this game 

-We shouldn't overlook them

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

It depends on where you are setting your sights. If you are looking just at this season, then this game does not hold all that much importance. If you are looking further into the future, then there may be more importance to it, because of the hype in combination with UNTs recent history:

Its a must-win game in the sense, that a lot of people will be there who haven't come out to see UNT football in a long time, and a loss, particularly if it were a full-on bed-crapping, would get them to not come back for a long time. That is because it would reinforce a narrative many of them have developed in their head, that UNT rarely wins and definitely never wins the ones where there is hype. These people need to have a good time to come back, and that is much easier with a W.

Also, after having lost 3 in a row to SMU, it is important to get this one, so UNT can start overtaking them on the recruiting trail. The only reason SL isn't already on pace for that this season, is that Dykes has been recruiting lights out himself this season.

For the season it is otherwise not a particularly important game as it isn't conference and at least 8-4 would still be very much possible afterward and by any reasonable standard that should count as a successful season.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This is the fifth game of (I believe) a ten-game series.  I want to beat them so f'ing lopsidedly that it demoralizes them into firing their coach after a single game and writing us a giant novelty check because they're too skeer'ed to ever play us again. 

If I were the UNT coach, and I had the ability to do so, I'd look at the Georgia Tech/ Cumberland game of 1916 and think to myself, "222-0?"  P'shaw!  Let's make it 444-0! 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

You must seize golden opportunities.  This is one of those moments we must take advantage of the opportunity.  Like FAU did In the conference championship and Troy did in New Orleans.

make it happen Mean green!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Just did some reading the SMUT board and they seem to think they will walk over us. Superior talent, coach, our super bowl blah, blah, blah.  They act like it is no big game to them but their butt will really hurt if they lose to us.  They have more fear of losing the game then getting excited with win.  Yeah this game does not matter to them. Why do they think that calling us North Texas State University is a bad thing.  We were called that since i was in school during those years I like the name. Here is to a win tonight.  It will be hard fought game and SMU will be distracted by seeing people that will actually be in the stands.  I hope the SMU fans are ready for the mean streets of Denton😎.

• 2 weeks later...