MUST.WIN.GAME.

I think it’s a really want to win game, I wouldn’t call it must win.  If we go get 9 wins again but lose this game,  we will be in really nice shape.

The reality is we have some pieces returning that are fun to talk about in the media,  but we have gigantic question marks and weaknesses where it counts for winning championships - defense and offensive line.  No matter how you want to spin it,  my observation is that when teams get overhyped and don’t meet expectations, those are frequently the reasons.

With the recruiting success we are having, we just need to have a winning season again and we will be teed up for a great run of winning seasons and then hopefully ready to get to next level and have some must win games.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

I think it’s a really want to win game, I wouldn’t call it must win.  If we go get 9 wins again but lose this game,  we will be in really nice shape.

The reality is we have some pieces returning that are fun to talk about in the media,  but we have gigantic question marks and weaknesses where it counts for winning championships - defense and offensive line.  No matter how you want to spin it,  my observation is that when teams get overhyped and don’t meet expectations, those are frequently the reasons.

With the recruiting success we are having, we just need to have a winning season again and we will be teed up for a great run of winning seasons and then hopefully ready to get to next level and have some must win games.

If we are wanting a 10 win season, I absolutely think this is a must win game. This is a momentum game and if we can win, this will loom large going into Fayetteville on Sept 15th. Im not saying we are going in there looking for an upset but we will have some swagger behind us, looking for a fight and maybe get a little sweet revenge from our ol friend Chad Morris. If we dont win this weekend, we will more than likely be going into the LA Tech game at 2-2 with our confidence a little hurt. With the right momentum we will be at 3-1 and ready to rough up those Bulldogs and show the West that we mean business and we are here to stay!

Either Way, Beat those Ponies to DEATH and GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

• Upvote 4

This game always worries me.  There are certain teams on every college teams' schedule that always bite them.  Even in the Joe Greene days we were 'snake bit' by Memphis State...just hope SMU does not become our 'snake bit' series.

• Upvote 1

I agree with the OP. This is a must win and a dangerous let-down game. So much hype and high expectations make it a must-win game also. A loss to SMUt creates a “same old UNT” narrative that we have to avoid. It would just kill so much momentum, especially regarding media attention and home attendance. A win keeps that rolling and can’t hurt recruiting. 

#GMG

• Upvote 2

My thoughts align with those earlier in this thread. If we win, we will set the stage for record attendance and growth in the fan base.

200w.gif

If we blow this chance to get our season off to a good start, there are people we will never see again this season.

RocketFail.gif.7eb03d3b6d9412b79bffc9af2598acff.gif

Let's launch this season successfully and keep building our base!

• Haha 1

It's a big game but not a must win:

/məst/

modal

• 1.be obliged to; should (expressing necessity): "you must show your ID card"
  • expressing insistence: "you must try some of this fish"
  • used in ironic questions expressing irritation: "must you look so utterly suburban?"
  • 2.expressing an opinion about something that is logically very likely:"there must be something wrong"

noun

• 1.something that should not be overlooked or missed:informal"this video is a must for parents"

Word Origin

Old English

mōste, past tense of mōt ‘may’, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch moeten and German müssen.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 1