Some North Texas Love

HoustonEagle

29 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

Here are my VERY scientific rankings. I tried to combine how good I think the teams will actually be with traditional program expectations. Like, Texas might be a better team then UNT, but I think UNT will win a couple more games and be playing for a conference title so I give UNT the nod.  

12. UTEP

11. Rice

10. Texas State

9. UTSA

8. Baylor

7. SMU

6. Texas Tech

5. Texas A&M

4. Houston

3. Texas

2. UNT

1. TCU

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, hickoryhouse said:

I am so nervous about how we will do as frontrunners.....    Can we stand the pressure?

Well, considering our performance in the championship and bowl games I think you have a good reason to be nervous.  In all honesty I don't see this being a special season.  We have a good coach and good quarterback so a floor of  6 wins is easy to see but there is nothing to indicate this is a break out year.  That will come with better recruiting. Thankfully that is finally happening at UNT.  Better years are on the horizon.  As for this year, give me a win against SMU and a bowl game and I will be content.  Don't get me wrong 14-0 would be just fine too!

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

Well, considering our performance in the championship and bowl games I think you have a good reason to be nervous.  In all honesty I don't see this being a special season.  We have a good coach and good quarterback so a floor of  6 wins is easy to see but there is nothing to indicate this is a break out year.  That will come with better recruiting. Thankfully that is finally happening at UNT.  Better years are on the horizon.  As for this year, give me a win against SMU and a bowl game and I will be content.  Don't get me wrong 14-0 would be just fine too!

Scott Frost took UCF to 13-0 in 2 years.  Didn't have time to recruit "his guys".

13-1 Baby!!

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I haven’t heard or seen this much hype since that year Cobbs & Thomas were in the backfield and Tulsa came down and stomped a mud hole in NT. Everyone picked NT to beat the Golden Hurricane. Talk about letting the air out of our balloon and ultimately the season. Let’s hope the SMU game goes as planned....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Honestly, I haven’t heard or seen this much hype since that year Cobbs & Thomas were in the backfield and Tulsa came down and stomped a mud hole in NT. Everyone picked NT to beat the Golden Hurricane. Talk about letting the air out of our balloon and ultimately the season. Let’s hope the SMU game goes as planned....

that was one of the weirdest games I've ever seen....if memory serves, we started that game with a safety and then Tulsa scored 50 something unanswered....

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

that was one of the weirdest games I've ever seen....if memory serves, we started that game with a safety and then Tulsa scored 50 something unanswered....

Yep. It was 40-2 at half or something ugly. Crazy weather just before the game, if I remember correctly?

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

3 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Yep. It was 40-2 at half or something ugly. Crazy weather just before the game, if I remember correctly?

I remember sitting there thinking, OK, Pat is holding up his end of the bargain for this "vaunted" returning national rushing champ duo... but Jamario was... not.   Little did we know at the time that Jamario would only show flashes of that amazing ability anymore.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Here are my VERY scientific rankings. I tried to combine how good I think the teams will actually be with traditional program expectations. Like, Texas might be a better team then UNT, but I think UNT will win a couple more games and be playing for a conference title so I give UNT the nod.  

12. UTEP

11. Rice

10. Texas State

9. UTSA

8. Baylor

7. SMU

6. Texas Tech

5. Texas A&M

4. Houston

3. Texas

2. UNT

1. TCU

This concedes to the division of 'leauges' and I don't like it. The DMN I believe started doing just this last year. 

1. TCU

2. UT

3. A&M

4. Tech (4 and all three 5's are very close) 

5. SMU/UNT/UH (opportunity on Sat to separate ourselves and solidify ourselves in this echelon)

6. UTSA

7. Baylor

8-the rest. Who cares 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

17 starters from  a 9-4 team with the assumed best QB in the league is returning.  i don't know how you define breakout year, but it seems to me that that odds are the team should be better than last year.  

1 minute ago, peanuts104 said:

As far as I'm concerned, this is all talk. We have to go out and perform on Saturday.  This first game will be very telling on how this season goes, good or bad.  Our guys better be prepared.

As far as I'm concerned, this website is all talk.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

17 starters from  a 9-4 team with the assumed best QB in the league is returning.  i don't know how you define breakout year, but it seems to me that that odds are the team should be better than last year.  

Define “breakout” year. 10 wins? 14 wins?

I always look at returning experience in the trenches before anywhere else in the field.

every now and then returning experience doesn’t equate to much other than a sequel of the previous season’s success...or failures

i think Troy and FAU were so much better than us that 17 returning starters isn’t enough to close the game. We need our defense to show us something that we haven’t seen before.

i think the ‘19 class has the potential to get us over the talent hump into that 12-win range

$0.02

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

"I've seen many football games and trust me North Texas is the best in Conference USA. You know it, I know it, they know it. The FAKE NEWS Media is looking hard for the SMU fans. There are no SMU fans, fake fans. Rigged Numbers! Sad!"

I've seen many football games and trust me North Texas is the best in Conference USA. You know it, I know it, they know it. The FAKE NEWS Media is lobbying hard for the SMU ponies. There are no SMU fans, fake fans. Rigged Numbers! Sad! #DMNisfake #GoMeanGreen

From your keyboard to Trump's Tweet!  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Hey I hear ya and I am excited to watch this team.  Still my post was ultimately about expectations.  This team can be better this year and still not manage to win the conference or a bowl.  The truth is we were not competitive in those games and the biggest reason for that was our lack of size.  I don't see how that could have changed from then until now. 

Literally everything surrounding this program is pointed in the right direction.  I am no UNT90.  My green colored glasses are strapped on tight and the future looks bright.