WSJ: College Football’s Growing Problem - Empty Seats

Cerebus

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Check this out, and especially pay attention to the scanned tickets lines.    P6 my ass.  

(From http://footballscoop.com/news/college-footballs-attendance-crisis-worse-think/)

attendance.jpg

And you KNOW that number would be even lower because SMU is the "teams" in the Notes section below & their butts-in-seats VS announced attendance is on LATech/ODU level, or worse.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I never realized how entrenched all those "Old Nesters- Dr. Matthews-era-minons" were, and still in positions of power after Hayden Fry left.  Shortly after that they ganged up on Jitter Nolan and ran him out of town. And then the dark ages returned.

MAN, I never realized how much Hayden Fry was hated by so many administrators and professors until he left. 

They didn't gang up on Jitter Nolan. He was transferring money from the music department building fund to the athletic department and was lucky he didn't go to jail.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, wardly said:

They didn't gang up on Jitter Nolan. He was transferring money from the music department building fund to the athletic department and was lucky he didn't go to jail.

This is what I always heard as well but it was not made public. 

• Upvote 1

I was on Foundation Board in the early 90's, and our main goal was to get small donors to give to an unrestricted fund, which was to be used by Al Hurley for guest speakers, etc. However we made Hurley jump thru hoops to get any money. When I asked why the Jitter Nolan scenario was explained to me by several board members.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, letsgiveacheer said:

This is what I always heard as well but it was not made public. 

It was made very public.  Unless you don't count newspaper coverage as public. 

Charts above are interesting and I am surprised that even the SEC is guilty of overstating their actual attendance.  The more important question is how is the announced attendance even computed.   I can see basing announced attendance on tickets sold, but my guess is that the stated attendance is mostly just a feel better number derived by looking at the crowd and adding some random percent.

I am not surprised that on a relative basis NT is closer to a "butts in the seat" number than most at Apogee.   At Fouts it was a different story were in many games it was possible to almost count the crowd.  

Note, based on my observation basketball numbers are just as random.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And you KNOW that number would be even lower because SMU is the "teams" in the Notes section below & their butts-in-seats VS announced attendance is on LATech/ODU level, or worse.

The only thing that the AAC has going for itself right now is that their top end is usually ranked and solid--see UCF and USF from last season. Memphis and UH have been there recently, as well. Their mid and bottom teams are Justas bad as the mid and bottom teams in the Lower G5s.

Also, the fact that their basketball revenues are much higher helps them all out a lot. That's' how they still good a decent TV contract.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wardly said:

You don't go to jail for getting creative with funds within a system. You go to jail for transferring money from X-department to your personal accounts....or fake account......or off shore account.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

You don't go to jail for getting creative with funds within a system. You go to jail for transferring money from X-department to your personal accounts....or fake account......or off shore account.

No.

Educational funding is a maze. Lots of federal and state laws, codes, and guidance are very strict on which monies can be used for what purposes.

Misuse, no matter how minor, can get people fired.  KNOWINGLY doing so, and covering it up, is much worse.

5 hours ago, Cerebus said:

No.

Educational funding is a maze. Lots of federal and state laws, codes, and guidance are very strict on which monies can be used for what purposes.

Misuse, no matter how minor, can get people fired.  KNOWINGLY doing so, and covering it up, is much worse.

"misuse" , like "mistreated" (a term I had to deal with almost daily in my profession) is a very overused and often self-serving word/term. Very often used by people with an agenda.

For example, people who were offended by someone who was hired to be President of a University who only had a Bachelors degree. Or people who think organized and/or funded athletics has no place in a institution of higher learning.

17 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

It was made very public.  Unless you don't count newspaper coverage as public

I was speaking to the specific incident about music building funds being diverted to athletics. I was not living in Denton in those days so it was entirely possible I missed something. 

I recall the primary charge made public against Nolen was the diversion of donations and government appropriations to the NTSU Foundation. Those funds were then diverted to athletics and salaries for Foundation staff members.

Didn't the Lt Governor convene a committee to investigate criminal charges again Nolen? 

Returning to the matter at hand, congratulations to all involved for making the SMU game an apparent sell-out. We can then say our scanned attendance and actual attendance were exactly the same!

Edited by letsgiveacheer