DRC: UNT to unveil statue of Greene this fall

Brett Vito

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

The statue belongs at the entrance by the hill. The courtyard area is perfect for it and probably has the majority of foot traffic

I get your point but I disagree. I think the base of the hill would be the best location on gameday. But the other 359 days of the year, that area gets zero traffic and it's not convenient for people to "stop by." The gate #2 location has plenty of parking and is visible from the interstate. I would think the statue will attract visitors throughout the year at gate #2. Anyone visiting the MGSF office, spirit store, etc. 

Edited by meangreenJW
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

So why did they decide to unveil the statue at the La Tech game, as opposed to, say, the So Miss game?  Could it be that a certain NFL teammate of Joe's, who played at LT, will be attending?

Question, no answer.

Edited by Stix
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

Great photo @Pavlovs Eagle

Let's us know exactly where it will be! 

You can sort of see the cut in the concrete just behind the dirt pile. It's dead center of the gates that face Bonnie Brae.  As it was mentioned before, not the most trafficed entrance currently, but probably the true "front" of the stadium.

Did anyone else notice they repaved Bonnie Brae too??? Didn't even have stripes on it yet today.

5 minutes ago, Stix said:

So why did they decide to unveil the statue at the La Tech game, as opposed to, say, the So Miss game?  Could it be that a certain NFL teammate of Joe's, who played at LT, will be attending?

Question, no answer.

I’ve heard many more than just 1 former teammate or advisory are planning to attend. 

44 minutes ago, Stix said:

Question, no answer.

As far as former NFL Players, I was told by someone in the know that the following players would be there:

Franco Harris

Mel Blount

Tony Dorsett

Earl Campbell

Charles Haley

Rayfield Wright

There may have been one or two more, but I cannot remember the names the person said. Terry Bradshaw was definitely not one of the names mentioned. I would have remembered that being that I am a Steeler fan.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Venson said:

As far as former NFL Players, I was told by someone in the know that the following players would be there:

Franco Harris

Mel Blount

Tony Dorsett

Earl Campbell

Charles Haley

Rayfield Wright

There may have been one or two more, but I cannot remember the names the person said. Terry Bradshaw was definitely not one of the names mentioned. I would have remembered that being that I am a Steeler fan.

Wow!

7 minutes ago, Venson said:

Franco Harris

Mel Blount

Tony Dorsett

Earl Campbell

Charles Haley

Rayfield Wright

Whoa!!  I just read these names to my wife.  Yeah...she'll be impressed by the time we see them!  GMG!  Thank you, Venson!

21 minutes ago, Venson said:

Franco Harris

Mel Blount

Tony Dorsett

Earl Campbell

Charles Haley

Rayfield Wright

Terry still does Fox NFL Sunday I think. My guess is he would already be in LA prepping to film the show.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Stix said:

Question, no answer.

Tying it all in with the biggest regular season conference game of the season. Indoor Practice Facility groundbreaking ceremony, Joe Greene Statue unveiling, and the throwback game versus our biggest competition in the CUSA West. Huge day in Denton and we need a packed house to support our (hopefully) 4-0 team!

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

9 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

I get your point but I disagree. I think the base of the hill would be the best location on gameday. But the other 359 days of the year, that area gets zero traffic and it's not convenient for people to "stop by." The gate #2 location has plenty of parking and is visible from the interstate. I would think the statue will attract visitors throughout the year at gate #2. Anyone visiting the MGSF office, spirit store, etc. 

Don't forget that in a few years the main tailgating area is going to move to where the softball and soccer fields are now.  A lot of the Game Day foot traffic will change to the "Joe Greene" side of the stadium. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/13/2018 at 10:34 PM, Stix said:

Question, no answer.

Absolutely... I bet TB will be there