Announcement from Wren Baker

TheColonyEagle

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

I agree that Abner deserves recognition but not King.

Abner took about ten times the abuse that Leon King took because he was the star and thus had far more playing time and there was far more incentive to do him bodily harm.  Abner was elected to the old AFL Hall of Fame and is in the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.  He is also in the North Texas Sports Hall of Fame.

It also seems to me that Abner Haynes has maintained a much closer contact with our university.  I do appreciate what Leon King went through as well but I think that we're comparing apples and oranges as far as the level of involvement.

Disagree, the commemoration is of the importance of early integration not the prowess of the athletes. 

It has always irked me that SMU is given much more credit for the integration of the SWC with Jerry Levisa in 1965,   King and Haynes were at NT in 1956 almost a decade before.  

I have never understood why NT has mostly ignored this great achievement. 

• Upvote 4

• Harry featured this topic
53 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Disagree, the commemoration is of the importance of early integration not the prowess of the athletes. 

It has always irked me that SMU is given much more credit for the integration of the SWC with Jerry Levisa in 1965,   King and Haynes were at NT in 1956 almost a decade before.  

I have never understood why NT has mostly ignored this great achievement. 

Abner Haynes is definitely on the Mean Green Football Mount Rushmore & probably deserves a statue of his own.  But I agree with you on this one GrandGreen.   Both men were instrumental in breaking down barriers.   Both can/should be commemorated.   Their contributions were much more monumental than wins/losses & stats.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Lovely Take 1

9 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

ESPN has a nice article on this announcement, but I can't find anything from the Dallas Morning News. Not even a link to Vito's DRC story, which is part of their news organization. The DMN is just sad.

I’m pretty sure The DRC is no longer associated with the DMN. 

Werent they sold to the former owner?

12 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

You could literally hear a noticeable pause and a hard swallow right before WB made that announcement.  Funny how the body works. 

I think it is great.  He is not taking the easy way out.  He is pushing the envelope and not accepting, "we can't do that at North Texas".  Hope nothing but success for him.  So thankful that the Prez and the BOR are finally on board with athletics as well.  Just have to keep the momentum going.

Absolutely, but this place needs incremental donors. The same few guys grow fatigued after doing it over and over again. Not the few who give a lot; need to leverage the alumni base for this, and those who want “a voice”, could earn it with their cash.

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

ESPN has a nice article on this announcement, but I can't find anything from the Dallas Morning News. Not even a link to Vito's DRC story, which is part of their news organization. The DMN is just sad.

Speaking of that ESPN article:  Nice gesture: Mean Green to honor alum 'Mean' Joe Greene with statue

Here's a quote from the article:  

Despite his deep ties to the program, the "Mean Green" nickname is not related to Greene.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1