Announcement from Wren Baker

TheColonyEagle

3 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The only problem I see with this is that it is guaranteed to perpetuate the myth that the North Texas Mean Green took their name from Mean Joe Greene.

Hopefully a plaque will be included that gives his story, his nickname of "Big Joe" while at North Texas and the correct origin of the nickname coming from the entire defense he played on.  Great news!  

Image result for Is this heaven gif

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Great news on all points. 

As debated before I think a statue or some type of acknowledgment of Haynes and King should be also at the stadium.   

Greene stands alone as NT's greatest athlete, but the social consequences of NT being one of the first universities in the South to integrate college athletes is a very important story.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Great news on all points. 

As debated before I think a statue or some type of acknowledgment of Haynes and King should be also at the stadium.   

Greene stands alone as NT's greatest athlete, but the social consequences of NT being one of the first universities in the South to integrate college athletes is a very important story.  

I agree that Abner deserves recognition but not King.

Abner took about ten times the abuse that Leon King took because he was the star and thus had far more playing time and there was far more incentive to do him bodily harm.  Abner was elected to the old AFL Hall of Fame and is in the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.  He is also in the North Texas Sports Hall of Fame.

It also seems to me that Abner Haynes has maintained a much closer contact with our university.  I do appreciate what Leon King went through as well but I think that we're comparing apples and oranges as far as the level of involvement.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1