DRC: UNT's depth chart out

Brett Vito

Interesting items:

RB Loren Easly is running #2

Caleb Colvin the big juco transfer is running #2 behind Rod Young at end. 

Juco Tim Faison is running #2 behind JoJo at the Jack

Kensworthy won the punter job over Cole.

LeMasters and Linehan are going to play a lot of football this season

Juco Torrey got kick returner job.

Defense looks very similar to what we had last year in terms of personnel. 

English at #2 nose

KD Davis is #2 at LB as a frosh -- impressive

32 minutes ago, Harry said:

Interesting items:

English at #2 nose

Unless I'm interpreting something incorrectly, I think it still lists it as Nic Smith OR Loren Easley along with Kensworthy OR Cole.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Unless I'm interpreting something incorrectly, I think it still lists it as Nic Smith OR Loren Easley along with Kensworthy OR Cole.  

Yes you are correct.  I was just pointing out that Easly must have really made his mark and we had heard Cole may had won the punting job but it seems they listed Kensworthy ahead of him on the 2-deep.

Young and Shorter were two of the guys who seemed to have really good camps and they are tied for the backup at the X and Z.  I had no idea Young was a SR.

Bryce English is a RS JR??? Hope we have two healthy seasons with him.

Manase Mose starting at RG as a RS FR.  

Six seniors starting on defense. One senior starting on offense. 

• Lovely Take 1

38 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I have yet to see this new oline in action, but on paper this looks like an improvement.

The key is Mayfield.  If he stays healthy we could be ok, but if you lose him, Parrish is the backup and he's undersized and unproven.

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Why?  I would hope the QB most ready to jump in wins the backup spot, regardless of who that is.  I think we all expected that to be Quinn.

Don’t get me wrong if Quinn is the next man in there I will support him 100%. But I was hoping Cade would step up this year and show that he’s potentially the next man up after Mason graduates

• Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Interesting items:

English at #2 nose

I've been saying since I saw him in spring that Easly was going to be replacing Wilson's power running. And Smith (or any of several others) is replacing the speed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I've been saying since I saw him in spring that Easly was going to be replacing Wilson's power running. And Smith (or any of several others) is replacing the speed. 

Might this be the proverbial "running back by committee"-type of year, rather than a feature back?

17 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Might this be the proverbial "running back by committee"-type of year, rather than a feature back?

Could be, but from what I observed, that "committee" is a talented group. Don't get me wrong, Easly does have speed and he could end up being the starter before it's all over with. He ripped off some long runs in the spring, and when he was still playing at SFA, he ripped off a 75 yrd TD run against TCU. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

With this RB group, outside of Easly, I'm finding it hard to see where we're going to establish a run game similar to last year. I've been saying it for a while, but with Smith, Johnson, and Torrey, I won't be surprised to see a LOT more screens and swing passes as the "de facto" run game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

With this RB group, outside of Easly, I'm finding it hard to see where we're going to establish a run game similar to last year. I've been saying it for a while, but with Smith, Johnson, and Torrey, I won't be surprised to see a LOT more screens and swing passes as the "de facto" run game. 

I would include Wyche (#4) amongst the "committee". He's been hanging around for a couple of years and I assumed that with the addition of the young and fast RB's,  Wyche might fade away.

He has not!  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Disappointing to not see Josh Sa'afi or McMillan listed.

It still doesn't make sense to me that we spent two scholarships on depth guys who probably won't contribute in their two years here.

I understand the DL group needed bodies, if injuries strike this year you would rather have 21 year old guys who have filled out rather than young guys who aren't ready. I still think those schollys would be better served going to a talented non qualifier who could either make it to campus or not or a project player.