Official SMU Game Score Prediction Thread

MeanGreenTexan

The time has come for the Mean Green to stop hitting each other, and hit another team.

The loathsome SMU ponies come up to Denton with uncertainty swirling all around their team:
New Coach.
No Sutton, No Quinn, No Lawler.
Their last game was a complete a**whipping in their own backyard to LATech.

The Mean Green are going to come into this game intensely focused on setting an early tone for the season.  No nerves, no jitters.    The Offense is going to jump out early and pour points on... to the point of 17 or 21 points in the 1st quarter.
SMU will be on their heels early & unable to recover.
Reserves will start seeing time in the 4th quarter.  NT will be coasting.   SMU will gain a little traction against the 2nd-teamers & get some garbage points near the end.

NT: 45
SMU: 24

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The time has come for the Mean Green to stop hitting each other, and hit another team.

This made me laugh this morning, ha

I think the Mean Green will show up in the first quarter a little flat and go down early but came back in full force to Win

Mean Green- 35

SMu- 24

So I read the predictions on the Pony Board....it seems their thought is their defense will be better because they have talent. I will say, they probably do have a little more talent on their roster than we do. However, they have transfers coming in with a new coaching staff and this is their first game with all of this in place. And although they may have a little bit better talent, it's not like we're playing a P5 talent level team that can wear us out with depth despite scheme issues. Plus they don't have the two WRs that killed us the past two years. As for defensive scheme, I think they'll have issues....because that's what happens when you come out in game 1 with a new staff (like we basically have on D every year Littrell's been here) Until this year

Compare their situation to ours. We have our full coaching staff intact with 17 returning starters. We should be locked in on offense and much more comfortable on defense. That's going to be the difference. 

Given they have a new staff and they need to buy in, it's going to be important that they start fast. They're not going to be able to. I predict we come out and really hit them hard offensively...while they're trying to figure out how to adjust....boom, we've scored again. I'm going to predict when they're on offense...they're going to try to run the ball a little more than they did the past few years....if our front is improved from last year (which we have 1 key piece that can clog the middle) they're going to get frustrated early....

I think the difference is our offensive continuity vs their defense figuring things out. If we played them in the middle of the year, it would be different.

They get some late scores after it's over

UNT 51

SMU 41

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

Real talk time instead of my gimmick scores.

The box score looks like a shootout last year but the game got to 38-10 before backups went in to allow the 21 green points. The O backups still scored. Considering offensive changes with new coach still being close to the old playbook with a little less talent at WR and a very good RB corps with the 3rd best QB in AAC I think it is nearly as good as last year. That and air raid passes are less "force it deep to Courtland" and more "find open grass." The defense can literally only get better as we were 121st in yards allowed. Ouch. The impact transfers at LB (weakest D area) with more man to man coverage in the secondary will be a different look than last year and my bet would be that it's a better D overall. I see a similar score from last year but not in an early blowout way.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, malonish said:

Real talk time instead of my gimmick scores.

The box score looks like a shootout last year but the game got to 38-10 before backups went in to allow the 21 green points. The O backups still scored. Considering offensive changes with new coach still being close to the old playbook with a little less talent at WR and a very good RB corps with the 3rd best QB in AAC I think it is nearly as good as last year. That and air raid passes are less "force it deep to Courtland" and more "find open grass." The defense can literally only get better as we were 121st in yards allowed. Ouch. The impact transfers at LB (weakest D area) with more man to man coverage in the secondary will be a different look than last year and my bet would be that it's a better D overall. I see a similar score from last year but not in an early blowout way.

A "little less" talent at WR? You mean way less talent at WR, I'm sure. If the plan is go to man, Mason Fine will rip off runs on ya and throw for 300+ in the process. If they go man, UNT will bust them out of that early. 

11 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

A "little less" talent at WR? You mean way less talent at WR, I'm sure. If the plan is go to man, Mason Fine will rip off runs on ya and throw for 300+ in the process. If they go man, UNT will bust them out of that early. 

you can't go man against Fine and this WR corp

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

An objective view: last year a worse defense for SMU kept UNT to ten points until garbage time. I expect more skill and speed on the back 7 this year with GT help at LB (sorely needed) and better people opposite Jordan Wyatt at CB.  SMU WR corps will fall off a lot but also won't be forcing it to one or two guys on risky throws. Assume Fine and Hicks both improved over time so the throwers are going to be accurate. SMU keeps all running backs, UNT loses their big one but has an experienced one ready to carry the load. Last year the YPC from UNT running was pretty low so gonna be a lot of passing (32 passes to 27 runs last year). Both teams will spread the ball in the air without relying on one target too heavily.

Homer view:

With drop off at wide receiver but a multiple school record holder at QB delivering the ball and one of the top RB groups in our conference I have confidence that it will be a fun shoot out and I'm a homer so we win in my Kool-aid head. We also got one of the, if not the, best S&C coach in college football getting our guys stronger and faster. We might not have Mr. Jump Ball Sutton but we have proven speed at WR a little bit below the level of Quinn with some of those transfers. Heck, Quinn was a 1 year transfer so it's not instantly a negative. Our former 1000 yard RB West will be playing around at WR and RB so look for his speed to mix with the power of Jones(>1000 last year) and Freeman.

Now shut up and take my money!