Does your spouse or significant other support your UNT habit?

Harry

This topic is actually one of the more interesting topics that's come up in the last few months. I've enjoyed reading some of the responses.

My GF went to USC (Southern Cal) went to maybe 4 home games/tailgatings and stayed through 2-3. Football is not her thing (though the Friday Night Lights series is). She didnt want to go to HOD Bowl in 2014 and thinks football games are way too long (Luckily, I'm a bigger basketball fan). She does support my UNT habit though and says if we ever got a baseball team, she'd be down to go. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Green59 said:

I'm extremely fortunate. My wife of 35 years and I graduated from the Univ. of Iowa in the early 80's. Over the years we have  watched from afar most all Hawkeye football and basketball games on TV.  I lost interest in watching the Hawkeye BB team when they had their Tony Benford type era.  It was her that pushed me back into watching the games again.  In 2007 our son was an invited walk-on to play for the Mean Green football team so we had another school to follow.  Over the last eleven years she has only missed maybe five home games.  While he was playing we went to most all road games and since he graduated we usually go to at least one road game a year. We have renewed for our second season ticket year of Mean Green BB.  She often listens to non televised Mean Green road games on her phone while doing yard work.  She enjoys regularly going to the Rudy's Coaches Football Show. We liked coming up to Denton from Carrollton so much that we bought our future retirement home in Denton last year.  When we moved in our TV room was already painted green so she obviously called it "The Green Room" and that name has stuck.  In five days we will be in "The Green Room" to watch the Hawkeyes at 230 PM then change from black & gold to green clothing and head over to Apogee.   Like I said, I am extremely fortunate!

Good people.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

18 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

This topic is actually one of the more interesting topics that's come up in the last few months. I've enjoyed reading some of the responses.

My GF went to USC (Southern Cal) went to maybe 4 home games/tailgatings and stayed through 2-3. Football is not her thing (though the Friday Night Lights series is). She didnt want to go to HOD Bowl in 2014 and thinks football games are way too long (Luckily, I'm a bigger basketball fan). She does support my UNT habit though and says if we ever got a baseball team, she'd be down to go. 

She thinks Football is too long vs Baseball? I could take a nap during most Baseball games...

• Haha 2

My wife realized it right away, but didn't know how bad it was until we moved to Houston.  We had a 10 month old and 3 year old at the time, but I had to see us play smuT at home in 2006.  She agreed that I could go if I drove up and back the day of the game.  I made it from Spring/Houston to Denton in about 3 hours, one of those being from Dallas to Denton.  A van passed me doing about 100, so I let them get a little ways ahead of me and I set my cruise on 95 from Houston to Dallas.  It was great travelling without kids!

I bought season tickets a couple of years ago after a move to west Texas, but my boys are now older and their schedule is messing with my addiction.  I still make 3 or 4 home games a year and will renew my season tickets when the rugrats get out of the house.  My wife enjoys the bowl games and maybe Homecoming each year if she can get away.  He job requires her to work on Sundays, so she can't always come.  My youngest loves the games and usually makes the drive with me.  Hate missing the games, but am happy I can know catch televised games.  She tolerates my yelling at the t.v. or computer.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

10 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

She thinks Football is too long vs Baseball? I could take a nap during most Baseball games...

baseball is an easier sport to watch for her. She's not really a sports fan at all haha. 

• Haha 1

My wife went to ETSU (now A&M - Commerce, but she rejects that). We've had season tickets for just over ten years now. She went to all games early on, but less often now. So my NTSU-grad sister goes to one game, and a close friend goes to one or two. Even though my wife will not go to basketball games, I am going from two to three tickets this year so that my grandson (5 years old) can join friend and me on weekend games. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

My wife of 31 years understands that six fall Saturdays are completely spoken for, as are possibly a few others for road trips.  She is a UTA grad, but got her teacher certification from UNT.  She goes to most fb games and to bb games as well.  She often purchases her own Mean Green gear.  Lucky me.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

My wife went to TCU.  But we have season tickets to UNT.  She helps support my fandom and comes to the games with me.  Although, if there's a TCU game on at the same time, she's trying to keep up with it at Apogee.  And for the same cost of a season at Apogee, we usually go to 1 game a year at Amon G. Carter.  On a UNT bye week, of course.  HAHA!

• Upvote 2

My husband indulges my obsession with all things Mean Green. He surprised me with club seats when Apogee was built!  He is a huge basketball fan and after I coaxed him to a game a few years ago we got season tickets. Our daughter is also an alumna and we are indoctrinating the grandkids, too. I’m extremely lucky and I can’t wait for Saturday!

GMG!

• Upvote 4

My wife is Moldovan so doesn’t understand or care about football, but let’s me watch when I want. I am taking her to to first game at Liberty so we will see if she likes it live better. 

My step daughter loves it and watches all the games with me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1

My girlfriend definitely supports my mean green habit. She went to Oklahoma State, so there are some Saturdays I have to give up and watch her team play (I still check the UNT score like crazy). But that is a small price to pay, to get her to go watch UNT games with me in Denton or on TV. I'm usually hoping OSU and UNT do not play at the same times though!

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I must be the only gal here! 🤣 One of the top reasons my husband married me is because I love football season... specifically college football season. Who has time for the drama and politics surrounding the NFL, am I right?! 😂 Husband went to Baylor...(boo hiss) and we met at a bar during football season!  Since his team took the pathetic nose dive he's happily jumped on the Mean Green bandwagon and cheers for us... He calls it his "other green team!"

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

No, there are a few of us here of the fairer sex!  I grew up in Abilene during the little SW conference era when football was a religious experience.   My daughter and I are alumna and love our Mean Green. 

GMG!

Edited by NTEdgex2
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

I am a die hard Football fan and never miss a home game since the Dodge years. I go to as many away games as I can as well. My wife is a UNT alum and we met on campus. She knows I will be watching any game that’s on tv for football or basketball and knows to get me Mean Green gear for any occasion and I wear it almost all the time while I am at home and when I can at work.

However she could careless about UNT athletics and hardly ever attends games with me. She is happy if we win but has no emotional attachment. She is like the vast majority of our alums and it drives me nuts. #GMG

My wife knows when it’s football season.... it’s FOOTBALL season.  I also spoil her any chance I get during that season bc she puts up with not seeing me a lot and raising a kid by herself most days.  She’s a SAINT. She also hits my pocket books each season for some new Mean Green gear.. she wins she always does! 

• Upvote 1