Does your spouse or significant other support your UNT habit?

Harry

Nope.  Not really at all.   UNT is like “the other woman” to my wife.  She has referred to herself as a college football widow.  She attended UNT and was even an Eagle Ambassador, but maybe that burnt her out on UNT.  I dunno.

I wish she was into it.  I used to drag her to one game a year, but she never got the fever.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I would say she supports it to the point she just rolls her eyes. She’ll go to maybe one game a year. She’ll go to big games, bowl games. She went to Baylor and we went to some of their games as well but they’re kind of grounded in our house after all the Art Briles stuff. (She’s from Waco and has loved Baylor her whole life....she’s severely disappointed in them)

• Ray 2

She went to a college in New Jersey that doesn't have football (is that even college?), so thankfully there's not much competition. She has gotten into it quite a bit and attends most games with me.  I'm already in trouble for having a friend claim the second season ticket for two later games. She doesn't understand why it has to be a whole day affair in Denton though. 

It's always a crisis for her to find the correct green to wear to games and events... and of course she'll ask why we're not wearing matching greens.  She once tried to wear blue to a game, that was a rough day for our relationship.

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
  • Haha 6

My girlfriend is not from the states, doesn't understand football, doesn't even watch other sports.. This is our first season together... I tried to explain that I don't leave even if we are playing a terrible team that's beating us by 30 and it's sleeting and it's the last game of the season and it's virtually meaningless. Not sure if she is sure i'm serious or not. Will report back.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

My wife is from Wichita, Kansas and received her degree from University of Maryland online. So, she tolerates my obsession. She will come to a game or two for football depending on who they are playing. She is a K-State football fan, a KU basketball fan, and Wichita State for everything else. Whenever Mean Green plays either one of those schools no matter the sport, she will go, but really to root on those Kansas teams. So it is a divided house when we play Kansas schools. However, we both agree not to talk about those games because that would not end well. Might end in divorce court. Haha. Just kidding but we sure don't talk about those games to keep the peace.

• Thanks 2

Yep...she went to games with me in the late 70's....bought me my first season tickets as a BD gift and still comes with me now...Her alma mater won the 2017 Division II National Title last year....Maybe we'll go to one her schools games this year if it doesn't interfere with UNT football. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah I kind of roll my eyes inside when people tell me they don’t know what to get me for Christmas or my birthday.  I translate that into I don’t want to drive to the Bookstore.  

A little effort peeps.  A few clicks gets me off your list. 

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I've been a fan since the early 80's, try to make just about every home game, and travel to most games that are within a 8 hour drive. She was well aware of what she was getting into.

I don't want to brag, but when it comes to my Mean Green addiction, my Bride is the greatest (*except when she scheduled our wedding the same date as the 1998 OU game. By the way, whatever became of that OU fullback? Groomsmen dragged me away from the radio right when Hut Allred had bolted 50 yards to put UNT up 7-0)

Anyway, back to the Bride, she is a UTA grad but she never paid much attention to their sports. She was indoctrinated into UNT sports by going to the Green Room parties after basketball games when Coach Trilli would bring the players in to meet the fans. We traveled for a lot of the football and basketball games and made friends with other fans that traveled.

The internet and its Mean Green Message Board were still new back then, and there was Harry's Mean Green Recruiting page. Those were the really wild days before passwords, subscriptions, cookies, or any sort of regulation. Message board guys Harry, MeanRob, and Evan started the Mean Green Club for North Texas fans and suddenly there were August Preseason Parties, and by the 1999 season the university no longer opposed us fans from hosting tailgate parties. Suddenly Gameday was more than just the games.

I always receive at least one Mean Green item each birthday, Christmas and Father's Day, and not just clothing items, but also some very hard to find collectibles. She still permits me to spend way too much time mindlessly checking these fan boards, and she adamantly refuses to allow any holiday plans that might conflict with attending a potential bowl game.

She is and always will be wonderful and perfect in all ways Mean and Green, well, as long as you can overlook that OU game scheduling conflict.

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1

9 minutes ago, Green59 said:

I'm extremely fortunate. My wife of 35 years and I graduated from the Univ. of Iowa in the early 80's. Over the years we have  watched from afar most all Hawkeye football and basketball games on TV.  I lost interest in watching the Hawkeye BB team when they had their Tony Benford type era.  It was her that pushed me back into watching the games again.  In 2007 our son was an invited walk-on to play for the Mean Green football team so we had another school to follow.  Over the last eleven years she has only missed maybe five home games.  While he was playing we went to most all road games and since he graduated we usually go to at least one road game a year. We have renewed for our second season ticket year of Mean Green BB.  She often listens to non televised Mean Green road games on her phone while doing yard work.  She enjoys regularly going to the Rudy's Coaches Football Show. We liked coming up to Denton from Carrollton so much that we bought our future retirement home in Denton last year.  When we moved in our TV room was already painted green so she obviously called it "The Green Room" and that name has stuck.  In five days we will be in "The Green Room" to watch the Hawkeyes at 230 PM then change from black & gold to green clothing and head over to Apogee.   Like I said, I am extremely fortunate!

Pretty cool stuff 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

Who are the Kokjohn’s, for $100, Alex?

(and to top it off, they moved to Denton...after Troy’s eligibility ended)

GMG

Ding ding ding...we have a winner!!! 

• Upvote 1

My wife doesn't really get why I like Denton, but since she went to Villanova she does get the idea of supporting one's alma mater.  And on those rare occasions when we can get a game on TV here, she sometimes watches and roots for UNT (I return the favor when Villanova is playing during March Madness).   And she's on board with me flying down in October to catch a game.   So, yeah, she's tolerant.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1