SMU Practice Report

Cerebus

Interesting tidbits from JasonB's practice report on ponyfans.com

Today was easily the most physical practice I have seen since Bennett was here. Linemen engaging at the line of scrimmage, runners taking defenders on, making tackles, actual hitting.

Very physical in the running game. This is no longer about misdirection and pass-first. We are going to try and run the ball, and we want to be able to run the ball when the entire stadium knows we are going to run it

OL looked really, really good. As I mentioned before, some key players were held out of the scrimmage at DE. But when they went back into pass protection, it was smooth and well organized. Good pocket formation. 

It is going to be very interesting to watch us against TCU and Michigan because we lack those guys. Could be a case where we don't play them as close without the home run, even though we are a better team as a whole. But I think we will be very competitive in every game in conference. And we will beat UNT.

13 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Interesting tidbits from JasonB's practice report on ponyfans.com

From being a fan through the Dickey years, you don't become a power running team overnight. I would say it's easier to become a pass-oriented offense than a running offense. A good QB can make a pass offense go meanwhile it takes at least five good OL to get the running game going. 

If you think Dickey is a bad example, Saban lost to ULM while converting his team to a downhill running game. It doesn't happen overnight. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I would take that info for what it is...a post on Ponyfans. As for me, I'll place my bet on Coach Littrell and his familiarity with Coach Dykes and his tendencies.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

SMU has a lot of talent and a proven coach but we have the same and more continuity. Neither team should be penciling in this one as a win already.

I think we will have a slight edge being at home, would love to stomp them though.

I totally agree with this.  They may be more talented than they were last year (but no Sutton....thank you universe).    I just think we will be better prepared for this one and take it by a hair.

Of course, stomping them would be so much more fun.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, drex said:

Why does SMU even need to practice if they think they can win easily?

You can tell we're getting to them...they have actually stooped to having some physical contact in practice, according to the reports.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, meangreenthirteen said:

This should definitely be easily implemented right away in year one.

Everything I'm hearing (where's the salt) is that it's very similar play book to last year with some nomenclature difference. We'll see how that goes soon enough.

6 hours ago, southsideguy said:

At the scrimmage Saturday or Defense looked good against the run.  But hard to tell when you are playing your team.  how are the SMUT running backs this year?

We return Xavier Jones(5.9 ypc and primary rusher) who rushed for >1000 last year and Braeden West (7.8 ypc) who broke 1000 in 2016. The Big Man (patent pending) Ke'mon Freeman (4.1 ypc, 543 total) looks to have a good year since the new staff will likely use West as more of a slot back than a go-to rusher. An experienced QB starter but no tested players in the depth chart means I say the RB position is probably the best position on the offense.

• Thanks 2