DRC: It's time for the annual "Get Your Rear on the Record" contest

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh my.

Looks like a dude you (well, maybe not you, whippersnapper) might have seen back in the day going door-to-door selling Kirby vacuum cleaners.

LOL, Looks more like My Physical Education Teacher back at Sam Houston.

Side Note: I went back to look at their offensive production and it really didnt jump off the page at me. Ranked 85th in the nation last year. Its Crazy how successful they were last year. I do fear them in the back of my mind though MGT

We've had three chances over the last decade and a half or so to get to double-digit wins with a season ending bowl win and we haven't been able to seal the deal.  This year we finally break through and finish the season at 10-4.  We're in the goldilocks period of North Texas sports.  Drink it up.

Amazing how different fanbases' analyze the coming season. 

A lot of NT fans fear a significant decline in the number of wins despite returning the best offense in the league, an almost for sure better defense, one of the best QB's in the nation, and a team that is definitely trending up.  

A lot of USM and La Tech fans would be predicting a top 25 finish with NT's plus factors.  

I don't understand the high finish predictions for UAB.  I predict a split with FAU,  an unexpected away conference loss and a bowl game win over a less than stellar opponent.   

Knowing the likelihood of any prediction being right is small, I predict 12-2 and finishing number 22 in the nation,  Take that USM and La Tech fans.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We don't return Wilson, ergo we're missing the 2nd-biggest piece of last year's offense.  Wilson's (a sure-fire NT HOF'er) contributions cannot be diminished.

You didn't ask how they stack against us.  You asked, "What does everyone see in UAB?".   I assumed you did not know any of that information, so I was enlightening you what others may see in them.

I agree with all of your hopes/expectations... but NT won't be the only team in C-USA that improves.

And Erdely doesn't scare you?  Were you at the game last year?  He threw for 321yds & 4 TDs!  That was his first year to start as well, I assume he'll only get better.   He's not scary like Mason Fine who's the Conference Offensive POY & on all kinds of watch lists, but he's obviously effective enough.

I was aware, but their performance over the season did not jump out at me, thus supported by their mid 80's finish in total offense.  No disrespect towards Erdely, but he is more of a game manager and not an explosive type that can take over a game.

Edited by UNTLifer

I see us at 8-4 in the regular season, finishing 2nd in the West. We lose at Arky, UAB, UTSA, and at home to FAU.

UAB wins the west, loses badly to FAU in CUSA Championship Game

We go to the NM Bowl, FAU goes to the NO Bowl, La Tech goes to Independence Bowl, and UAB goes to Boca Raton Bowl.

Still not getting the love for UAB.  So in light of the many replies on here regarding my thinking they aren't that good, I went back and watched last year's game.

First off: We had a 95 yard drive in 1:32 to end the first half that I had forgotten about.

Second:  Kelvin Smith is a beast and should be utilized much more in the passing game.

Now to the game:

* They should not have been on the field with us.  Their first two scores were double moves against Brooks.  Just bad, bad plays on his part.

* We block a punt in their end of the field and the Wilson fumbles on the first play of the following drive.  It was a terrible call.

*  They could not run the ball against us.

*  If our DB's, Preston and Hall would turn and look for the ball, we would have intercepted Erdely a couple of times.

*  We gave them a short field by going for it on 4th and 1 at midfield instead of punting and pinning them deep.

*  Their defense never stopped us.  Wilson, Smith and Johnson ran all over them, Fine had no trouble finding Guyton, Bussey, Lawrence, Smith, Smiley, etc.... when given time and they really didn't pressure Fine too much.

*  Their best defensive players, LB's, all graduated and they were not that great.

We will beat them going away.

• Upvote 2

On 8/21/2018 at 12:31 PM, meanJewGreen said:

So here's my fear: the team is thinking too highly of themselves. Also, I want to protect myself against any potential letdown. (Still havent recovered from my 06-10 student years)

Losses:

Arky

SMU

UAB

FAU

UTSA- upset

LA Tech 

RPI Rank as of early August:

30 - FAU

42 - UNT

55 - SMU

69 - LA Tech

83 - UAB

86 - Arkansas

89 - UTSA

Admittedly, not much spread in points between 40's and 80's, but you are picking 5 RPI upsets.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I see us at 8-4 in the regular season, finishing 2nd in the West. We lose at Arky, UAB, UTSA, and at home to FAU.

UAB wins the west, loses badly to FAU in CUSA Championship Game

We go to the NM Bowl, FAU goes to the NO Bowl, La Tech goes to Independence Bowl, and UAB goes to Boca Raton Bowl.

How does 3 conference losses end in 2nd? I question your math.

• Ray 1

On 8/22/2018 at 6:39 PM, 97and03 said:

How does 3 conference losses end in 2nd? I question your math.

I think that there will be a lot of losses between the top 3 CUSA West teams, so we will finish second or lose a tiebreaker for the first place slot for CUSA West’s spot in the championship game.

On 8/22/2018 at 1:18 PM, UNTLifer said:

Still not getting the love for UAB.  So in light of the many replies on here regarding my thinking they aren't that good, I went back and watched last year's game.

First off: We had a 95 yard drive in 1:32 to end the first half that I had forgotten about.

Second:  Kelvin Smith is a beast and should be utilized much more in the passing game.

Now to the game:

* They should not have been on the field with us.  Their first two scores were double moves against Brooks.  Just bad, bad plays on his part.

* We block a punt in their end of the field and the Wilson fumbles on the first play of the following drive.  It was a terrible call.

*  They could not run the ball against us.

*  If our DB's, Preston and Hall would turn and look for the ball, we would have intercepted Erdely a couple of times.

*  We gave them a short field by going for it on 4th and 1 at midfield instead of punting and pinning them deep.

*  Their defense never stopped us.  Wilson, Smith and Johnson ran all over them, Fine had no trouble finding Guyton, Bussey, Lawrence, Smith, Smiley, etc.... when given time and they really didn't pressure Fine too much.

*  Their best defensive players, LB's, all graduated and they were not that great.

We will beat them going away.

I'm with you, La Tech & USM scare me more than UAB.   Some of NT's fan posts emphasize NT's players lost and not the number coming back.   No other West CUSA team can match the combination of last years record and the number of players returning.   

It apparently will take more winning years for a lot of NT fans to believe in the Mean Green.  We search for a rationale why the team will not continue to progress. a lot more than why this team should be better.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I'm with you, La Tech & USM scare me more than UAB.   Some of NT's fan posts emphasize NT's players lost and not the number coming back.   No other West CUSA team can match the combination of last years record and the number of players returning.   

It apparently will take more winning years for a lot of NT fans to believe in the Mean Green.  We search for a rationale why the team will not continue to progress. a lot more than why this team should be better.  

@GrandGreen, this reply is not just aimed at you sir.   With that said...

I swear, it seems like some of y'all are incapable of understanding, or just refuse to recall how good UAB was.  
I'm betting since y'all have a degree from UNT, it's likely the latter.

UAB was 1 win... just 1... behind us.    They were VERY LITERALLY 4 points away from being 1 win ahead of us.

They return more starters and more depth than we do.  Period. 

We have 3 offensive starters gone: (Wilson, Smiley, Henson),  and one of last years starters was BENCHED.   So, yeah, great!  He's back... but he ain't starting, so should he really count towards that number?  So, honestly, we're replacing 4 offensive starters (one of which was a future NT HOF'er, ho-hum). 
UAB is replacing only 1 OL.  They have their top 6 WR returning and their top 3 RBs returning!

And Defensively, we lost 4 starters (McClain, Jenkins, Wheeler, Flusche).   UAB only lost 3.

I'm not guaranteeing UAB is going to win the game or anything.   But playing them, IN BIRMINGHAM, is going to be the toughest West Divisional game.   Tougher than LATech at home.   Tougher than UTSA's Super Bowl on the road.

I know there's a lot of love for LATech, and they deserve a lot of it, but I would not be surprised to see them finish 3rd in the division once again behind NT & UAB (whom they lost to last year by 1... just like they did to us).

And USM shouldn't scare a team like NT.   They're "also-rans".

19 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I swear, it seems like some of y'all are incapable of understanding, or just refuse to recall how good UAB was.  

UAB was 1 win... just 1... behind us.    They were VERY LITERALLY 4 points away from being 1 win ahead of us.

We have 3 offensive starters gone: (Wilson, Smiley, Henson),  and one of last years starters was BENCHED.   So, yeah, great!  He's back... but he ain't starting, so should he really count towards that number?  So, honestly, we're replacing 4 offensive starters (one of which was a future NT HOF'er, ho-hum). 
UAB is replacing only 1 OL.  They have their top 6 WR returning and their top 3 RBs returning!

And Defensively, we lost 4 starters (McClain, Jenkins, Wheeler, Flusche).   UAB only lost 3.

I'm not guaranteeing UAB is going to win the game or anything.   But playing them, IN BIRMINGHAM, is going to be the toughest West Divisional game.   Tougher than LATech at home.   Tougher than UTSA's Super Bowl on the road.

I know there's a lot of love for LATech, and they deserve a lot of it, but I would not be surprised to see them finish 3rd in the division once again behind NT & UAB (whom they lost to last year by 1... just like they did to us).

Toughest conference games in order:

1.FAU 2. UAB 3. La Tech

The other reason besides what they return making me wary of UAB on the road is Bill Clark.  He's in the conversation for best head coach in CUSA.  

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

Toughest conference games in order:

1.FAU 2. UAB 3. La Tech

The other reason besides what they return making me wary of UAB on the road is Bill Clark.  He's in the conversation for best head coach in CUSA.  

Agree FAU is better.  I was just talking about the West division.  

Clark is an awesome coach.  Littrell is too & Holtz is obviously great as well.  Lots of up-&-coming coaches, as well as accomplished guys coaching in this league.

Erdely is the only reason I'm even remotely worried about UAB.  Their line was Swiss cheese if you don't recall.  We hit that guy on nearly every down.  Our dline, which was thoroughly out manned many times last year, made their oline look high school.  Erdely is one tough SOB.  He took shot after shot and kept firing.

I think we blow the doors off of them this year.  Brooks single handedly kept them in that game.  He'll have something to prove.

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Watch last year's game.  We should have beat them by 21+.

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Actually, UAB does not have more returning starters per any article I have read.   They return 10 on offense and 7 on defense.  NT returns 9 on offense and 8 on defense.  NT returns one very important first team all conference player in Fine.  UAB has no first team selections on the last year list or this year pre-season.  NT has two first teamers on the CUSA coaches pre-season picks. 

By the way just because a last year starter is not currently on the first team is no reason to discount the fact.  The stat is not starters who are still starting.  You have no way of knowing for certain who is actually going to start this year for ether team. 

UAB strength last year's was supposed to be defense, yet NT scored 46 and it should have been more on them.  Of course NT's defense was very poor.  

I have read lots of pre-season media predictions and don't recall any that pick UAB over NT.  I am sure there are soon, but most go with the Green. 

Again, the question is not how good UAB is going to be, but rather they should be favored over NT.  I just don't see any reason based on the available data other that NT plays there to pick them over NT.  

• Thanks 1