Harry

2018 UNT vs. SMU FB Opener Attendance Predictions  

163 members have voted

1. 1. 2018 UNT vs. SMU FB Opener Attendance Predictions

• 17-20k
    • 21-24k
    • 25-28k
    • 29-30.5K

I'd bet money that attendance will be over 25k. It's the home opener, local rival in DFW.. I don't buy the labor day excuse.. It's the opening weekend of football..  I think a few more SMU fans will come out to see their new coach in action. Still annoying we can make their crowd 75% green when we play in Dallas, and they can't fill out their visitor section in Denton..

Hoping the weather is cooler. The 2014 game was a little lower in previous years, because it was baking people alive in Denton that day. I think it was a 11am game which didn't help..

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1

9I expect a big crowd...perhaps even the largest ever to attend a UNT game at Apogee. Why? Well, several reasons:

1) Coming off a 9 win season with a western conference crown and a NO Bowl appearance,

2) First game of the season so we should draw a decent student crowd,

3) SMU has a new coach and a few SMUt fans might actually drive "all the way" to Denton to see the first one against UNT'

4) It is Labor Day Weekend...yes, I realize some think that is a downer, but I don't ...it gives families an extra day to enjoy "doing" things together and since Denton/Dallas area schools are back in session, more folks should be staying home over Labor Day weekend'

5) The Athletic Department staff has been working super hard to "recruit" new fans...including UNT Faculty and Staff and local businesses,

6) Several folks have indicated they knew "new" season ticket buyers,

7) The Junior "Mean Green Club" (or whatever its new name is) has signed up a decent number of kiddos who would not want to miss game 1, and

😎 It's SMUt!!!!

I know that I am usually one to predict on the "high side" for Mean Green attendance numbers, but I do think there are any number of legit reasons why we might just see record attendance for this game.  And folks...PLEASE PLEASE...don't forget to wear green!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, KRAM1 said:

I expect a big crowd...perhaps even the largest ever to attend a UNT game at Apogee. Why? Well, several reasons:

1) Coming off an 11 win season with a western conference crown and a NO Bowl appearance,

2) First game of the season so we should draw a decent student crowd,

3) SMU has a new coach and a few SMUt fans might actually drive "all the way" to Denton to see the first one against UNT'

4) It is Labor Day Weekend...yes, I realize some think that is a downer, but I don't ...it gives families an extra day to enjoy "doing" things together and since Denton/Dallas area schools are back in session, more folks should be staying home over Labor Day weekend'

5) The Athletic Department staff has been working super hard to "recruit" new fans...including UNT Faculty and Staff and local businesses,

6) Several folks have indicated they knew "new" season ticket buyers,

7) The Junior "Mean Green Club" (or whatever its new name is) has signed up a decent number of kiddos who would not want to miss game 1, and

😎 It's SMUt!!!!

I know that I am usually one to predict on the "high side" for Mean Green attendance numbers, but I do think there are any number of legit reasons why we might just see record attendance for this game.  And folks...PLEASE PLEASE...don't forget to wear green!

If we were coming off an 11-win season... maybe I'd agree.  

• Thanks 2
  • Ray 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

If we were coming off an 11-win season... maybe I'd agree.  

OOPS! Sorry...fixed it...brain freeze I guess...always hoping! Ha! Thanks.  I stand by the reasoning even with the correct record.

3 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I'd bet money that attendance will be over 25k. It's the home opener, local rival in DFW.. I don't buy the labor day excuse.. It's the opening weekend of football..  I think a few more SMU fans will come out to see their new coach in action. Still annoying we can make their crowd 75% green when we play in Dallas, and they can't fill out their visitor section in Denton..

Hoping the weather is cooler. The 2014 game was a little lower in previous years, because it was baking people alive in Denton that day. I think it was a 11am game which didn't help..

TV causes most of this...

Look, any game in Texas in August/September will be hot--but to play a day game here in Denton before mid-October is asking for lower attendance. I think about the day games we played against Ball State in 2013, SMU in 2014, and Rice in 2015. Attendance was lower because of that heat. 

People bitch about the heat for games at the Texas Power League schools that are in the daytime, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that we have to deal with it, too.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

TV causes most of this...

Look, any game in Texas in August/September will be hot--but to play a day game here in Denton before mid-October is asking for lower attendance. I think about the day games we played against Ball State in 2013, SMU in 2014, and Rice in 2015. Attendance was lower because of that heat. 

People bitch about the heat for games at the Texas Power League schools that are in the daytime, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that we have to deal with it, too.

Yup.. Figured much. Exactly why the FAU weekday game 08:30pm on a Thursday. I'm not the type to be discouraged by weather or time in most cases. However, a casual fan wants to go to a 6:30 or 7pm kickoff on a Saturday, anything different they skip the game. We have a lot going for us this year for attendance against SMU. 6:30 kickoff, temperature should cool off with the sun going down, etc..

Edited by GreenTexan13

On 8/20/2018 at 5:05 PM, EagleMBA said:

It IS SMUt, plus the lagniappe, wrestling. The two combined will bring in the die-hards and the casual, "something different" crowd. I'm thinking approximately 27,000, putting attendance in your 25K - 28K range.  Mark it down!

I say about 25,000. Now if we had  Smatrest the Slammer vs SMU's president on the wrestling card, there would be no question about a sell-out.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

I say about 25,000. Now if we had  Smatrest the Slammer vs SMU's president on the wrestling card, there would be no question about a sell-out.

You asked for it...you GOT it!

Smatresk.gif.aca25f6a2d3deac2a64dc7897b315294.gifQueen.gif.267cc6d079291a57ca5c48f39064b77b.gif

Smatresk the Slammer                 vs.   Turner the Magnificent

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Heard a rumor that the new turf is much cooler, but that we reinstalled the old turf on our opponent's sideline.  To make it even better, we replaced the base with cast iron to give them the feel of a frying pan.  Now, if we could just cut the power to their locker room and paint it pink., we would have our bases covered for home field advantage.

• Haha 1

Over capacity.

The juniors have seen back to back bowl seasons.                        Sophomores saw an amazing season. Freshmen have been force fed school pride and how good we are.               First wrestling match after D-1 game. DFW rivals.                                      Rangers suck.                                         Got the best QB in the nation. 

Long hot boring summer.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

On 8/21/2018 at 11:27 AM, Withers940 said:

2017: At SMU 24,638

2016: Apogee 24,718

2015: At SMU 25,401

2014: Apogee 22,398

2007:  At SMU 20,517

If the students show up in full force, we will easily hit 25K and beyond

2016 was rockin, too.

I'm going with 26,371

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Hearing that we are seriously approaching a tickets sold number that will allow this to be classified a sellout.  Not sure how many will be in actual attendance, but sounds like the full court press is on to be able to announce the first sellout.  

Hope the staff can keep the team from getting too amped up.  Going to be a fun week.  Man, we need a win.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

If we want students to attend games during August/September/early October AND to actually be present during the first quarter, then we should never start a game earlier than 7:00 PM, and really 7:30 or later would be ideal.  That side of Apogee is a frying pan, and students are facing a miserable gameday experience for the initial hour of each of our first three or so home games.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Hearing that we are seriously approaching a tickets sold number that will allow this to be classified a sellout.  Not sure how many will be in actual attendance, but sounds like the full court press is on to be able to announce the first sellout. 

Lets hope your sources are good. Can anybody corroborate? Are there any sections that are already out of tickets (harder to tell with the move away from ticketmaster)?

I really wanna hear stories of people UNT having to turn away people who made up their mind to late. It would teach folks to buy in early in the future.

Edited by outoftown

13 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Hope the staff can keep the team from getting too amped up.  Going to be a fun week.  Man, we need a win.

I never want to be a pessimist, but how many student tickets are automatically built into that “sellout”?  If the students aren’t compelled to show, we could sell a bunch of tickets and still see a small crowd.

• Lovely Take 2

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

I never want to be a pessimist, but how many student tickets are automatically built into that “sellout”?  If the students aren’t compelled to show, we could sell a bunch of tickets and still see a small crowd.

I don't have first hand knowledge, but my guess is that we only count tickets for students that have taken the step to request/download a ticket (either physically or electronically).  I think this is referred to as tickets distributed.  Otherwise, every game would be a sellout based on number of students alone.  I am fairly confident the non student tickets are based on tickets sold, just like most every other school/sports team.  

Either way, it sounds like they are expected a pretty large crowd.  Something north of 25k would look and sound great.

• Ray 1