Scrimmage tomorrow?

emmitt01

7 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I know that tomorrow is Mean Green Mania, but is there going to be a scrimmage associated with the event? Also, does anybody know what is going on other than picking up season tickets at this event?

9:55 

• Upvote 1

Quinn looked pretty crisp today. Not sure how the matchups were as far as 1s vs 1s or 2s vs 1s, but he was the cleanest QB today. 

As Emmitt said, Fine seemed a bit off. Groundballing WR screens, missing fairly open WR. Just off. 

OL looked good for the most part in pass pro. Run blocking, not so much. And to me, that's concerning given we don't have Wilson returning. A lot of the successful runs were outside designs/zone blocking runs. 

DL looked great. They dictated the interior running game to the outside. LB's are not east and west players hence the success of the outside runs vs them. 

WR group is easily the best in CUSA. They would make several 'P5' programs feel inferior as well. Very, very solid group. They have it all. Long and rangy in White and Rico. Quick twitch slot guys in Darden, Brewer, Lawrence, etc. Do it all guy in Guyton. And 3 or 4 others like Cujo, Pirtle, Jackson, etc. of whom are all very serviceable. 

New kicker seemed fine. Hit a 44 yarder with 6 to 8 yards to spare in a game situation. He was also consistent in warm ups. 

New wrinkle with the 1s on O. They were in 12 personnel under center for 6 or 7 plays and not near the goalline. Got in a more conventional jumbo package under center also at the goalline. 

DB's played with confidence. 

The defense looks better, which is at least promising. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1

Garner must be hurt, Lemasters was playing with the first unit. I thought defense overall looked good. I was impressed with the 2nd team D-line : English, Novil & Saafi. #43 Nixon also caught my eye at LB.

Cujo had 2 long receptions, he may be the sleeper of the WR bunch. 

I’m sure Nick Smith will be the starter but Loren Easley got a lot of reps with the first team offense.

Edited by Marty
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

So did anyone go?  Any observations to share?

Mason looked significantly better than the other QBs, though I did see Kam Duhon make a pretty spectacular catch, laying out for a deep ball from Cade Pearson.  Mason throws a much quicker and accurate ball.  He can really sling it.

I saw Mason take at least one snap from under center.  I don't remember seeing that before.

Quinn continues to do a better job of selling the zone read option than Mason in my opinion.  Quinn really sells that he has the ball when he doesn't.  I've noticed this on draw plays as well.

I think Hedlund made all of his field goals.  At least I never saw him miss.

$75 is too steep for the only green golf-style shirt they had for sale, IMO.

They didn't stock enough of the Cherokee t-shirts in popular sizes for today.  I also heard some complaining that they ran out of hot dogs and cups.

Seth took questions from the audience in the Hub Club after the scrimmage.  They had someone roaming with a wireless mike.  The Q&A session was highlighted, IMO, when Mean Joe Green took the mic, stood up and asked if the defense was going to look better this year, from the perspective of a former defensive lineman.  In a drawn out answer including naming several of the D-Linemen, Seth answered yes.

I thought attendance was good.  Overall the event was much better than last year.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

5 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

The Q&A session was highlighted, IMO, when Mean Joe Green took the mic, stood up and asked if the defense was going to look better this year, from the perspective of a former defensive lineman.  In a drawn out answer including naming several of the D-Linemen, Seth answered yes.

Seth also inquired whether Mr. Greene was available/had any eligibility left. 🙂

Loved it!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Mason looked significantly better than the other QBs, though I did see Kam Duhon make a pretty spectacular catch, laying out for a deep ball from Cade Pearson.  Mason throws a much quicker and accurate ball.  He can really sling it.

I saw Mason take at least one snap from under center.  I don't remember seeing that before.

Quinn continues to do a better job of selling the zone read option than Mason in my opinion.  Quinn really sells that he has the ball when he doesn't.  I've noticed this on draw plays as well.

I think Hedlund made all of his field goals.  At least I never saw him miss.

$75 is too steep for the only green golf-style shirt they had for sale, IMO.

They didn't stock enough of the Cherokee t-shirts in popular sizes for today.  I also heard some complaining that they ran out of hot dogs and cups.

Seth took questions from the audience in the Hub Club after the scrimmage.  They had someone roaming with a wireless mike.  The Q&A session was highlighted, IMO, when Mean Joe Green took the mic, stood up and asked if the defense was going to look better this year, from the perspective of a former defensive lineman.  In a drawn out answer including naming several of the D-Linemen, Seth answered yes.

I thought attendance was good.  Overall the event was much better than last year.

Did Quinn and Mason switch numbers today? If so, I agree. 

Mason is the cut and dry starter,  and there is 0 debate in that. But today, Fine had a tougher than usual go at it. Quinn  looked cleaner and more comfortable. Fine started hanging his head immediately after the ball left his hand on some of his throws in almost disbelief. Granted, Fine did have some money throws as well. It wasn't an all for nothing day for him. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Did Quinn and Mason switch numbers today? If so, I agree. 

Mason is the cut and dry starter,  and there is 0 debate in that. But today, Fine had a tougher than usual go at it. Quinn  looked cleaner and more comfortable. Fine started hanging his head immediately after the ball left his hand on some of his throws in almost disbelief. Granted, Fine did have some money throws as well. It wasn't an all for nothing day for him. 

Ha.  I dunno.  Admittedly I didn’t watch every play, but I did see Quinn one-hop a couple to receivers and threw at least one incompletion that really should have been a pick.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

(I left around 11:15, so there may be more that others can add)  

I didn't think Mason had his best day.  Some passes where he overthrew an open receiver, but he was still clearly a rare talent.

None of the backs made me say “that’s clearly the best of the bunch” today.  I take that as a plus though because they all looked like they could tote the rock.

If Bryce English remains healthy he will change this defense.  The “potential” was on display in my opinion.  I’m excited.  

Defense overall looked to be playing faster and more loose.  I am just hoping for a middle of the pack defense this year...somewhere in the 60’s overall and giving up 25 a game.  If that happens we hit last year’s winss mark and will be pretty special.

We have an embarrassment of capable receivers.  If we don’t redshirt a few I’d be shocked.  Between Guyton, Lawrence, Bussey, Darden, White, Brewer and the other returning players I think there will be a chance to grow the young guys.  

Unless I just missed him, I didn’t see Brandon Garner with the first team defense.  

I got my UNT written in Cherokee shirt.

Great day to be a Mean Green fan. And, as was discussed in passing, this is BY FAR the best I have ever felt about the major sports.  Every chance you get to shake Wren Baker’s hand, take it.  

I agree with most, I’ll post after dinner with the wife and kid.  

• Upvote 1