How LA Tech Fans See C-USA

AustinFromUNT

That's fantastic.   

Not enough dumb trash talk to fire up anyone here though.

No real evidence there that LATech is going to "burn down" Apogee other than a wish for "J'Mar Smith's coming out party", and a hope against a "renaissance" for our defense, which happened to do just fine against J'Mar (16/28/168, 0/0) & the Bulldogs last year at Aillet.

La Tech is talented (so are we, so is UAB) and it should be a good game for us. It wouldn't be a shocker for us to potentially lose this game.  That said, it IS strange to me that while Seth's teams have undoubtedly improved by leaps and bounds in both seasons he's been at the helm, there are so many people that think we're gonna regress this year.  Based on what exactly?  We return 17 starters including one of the best players in the league at the most important position on the field in Mason Fine.  Teams like that (barring major injury - which can be said for any team in any sport) - don't regress.  That's not how college football works.  Experienced teams tend to grow and progress with experience and coaching/system continuity.

If people want to make the argument that our team "arrived" a little early last year winning the West outright, I might even agree to a certain extent. Going into the year, no one made us an odds on favorite to compete for the CUSA title...but we did.  All EARNED on the field, including closing out some very close games (La Tech and UTSA).  That's what good teams do. It's what separates Championship contenders from the other good teams in the league.

Lots of the La Tech fans seem to be making a big deal about their ass beating of SMU in the Frisco Bowl last year.  While it was funny to watch La Tech curb stomp SMU, no reasonable college football fan really expected anything different.  Transitional coaching staff, playing in a bowl game they didn't really care about, with players for SMU outright pissed at the coaching hire that was just made was a great scenario for La Tech.  They like to talk about how we "lost to a Sunbelt team" in our bowl and how FAU beat us badly both times. Newsflash:  FAU kicked La Tech's ass too when they played and the same Troy team that beat us in New Orleans would have taken La Tech to the woodshed as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

it IS strange to me that while Seth's teams have undoubtedly improved by leaps and bounds in both seasons he's been at the helm, there are so many people that think we're gonna regress this year.  Based on what exactly?  We return 17 starters including one of the best players in the league at the most important position on the field in Mason Fine.  Teams like that (barring major injury - which can be said for any team in any sport) - don't regress.  That's not how college football works.  Experienced teams tend to grow and progress with experience and coaching/system continuity.

I 100% agree with you. For the UNT fans that think this....I think it's the past that they can't let go of. We have to have one of the most defeated fan bases around.

This 2018 football team, with 17 returning starters, best QB in the conference, defense another year in this system, offense another year in this system, assistant coaches all intact, coming off one of the best offseasons strength/conditioning wise, favorable home record has nothing to do with:

Dropping down to 1AA 

Using generators to light up Fouts Field

DD's OOC game strategy

Black jerseys

Rick Villarreal

Todd Dodge's high school assistant coaches

Dan McCarney's difficulty recruiting here

Losing to Portland State

Tony Benford

Lack of baseball

None of that has one thing to do with Seth Littrell and the culture he has instilled here. 

Everything going on with this team is new. 

• Ray 2

5 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I 100% agree with you. For the UNT fans that think this....I think it's the past that they can't let go of. We have to have one of the most defeated fan bases around.

This 2018 football team, with 17 returning starters, best QB in the conference, defense another year in this system, offense another year in this system, assistant coaches all intact, coming off one of the best offseasons strength/conditioning wise, favorable home record has nothing to do with:

Dropping down to 1AA 

Using generators to light up Fouts Field

DD's OOC game strategy

Black jerseys

Rick Villarreal

Todd Dodge's high school assistant coaches

Dan McCarney's difficulty recruiting here

Losing to Portland State

Tony Benford

Lack of baseball

None of that has one thing to do with Seth Littrell and the culture he has instilled here. 

Everything going on with this team is new. 

That's great and all but for fans that have been around this sounds like a wife beater.

North Texas has changed, North Texas wants you to forgive and forget what happened. North Texas promises to never hurt you again. North Texas doesn't know why you are flinching. North Texas hurt you because North Texas loves you. And so on.

A couple good seasons won't erase the past. Maybe some day, years from now, after years of winning, we can look back and laugh over beers about the rough times. Until then, I think it's better to hope for the best and expect the worst. It's less painful that way.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

That's great and all but for fans that have been around this sounds like a wife beater.

North Texas has changed, North Texas wants you to forgive and forget what happened. North Texas promises to never hurt you again. North Texas doesn't know why you are flinching. North Texas hurt you because North Texas loves you. And so on.

A couple good seasons won't erase the past. Maybe some day, years from now, after years of winning, we can look back and laugh over beers about the rough times. Until then, I think it's better to hope for the best and expect the worst. It's less painful that way.

Thanks for making my point for me 

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

17 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

North Texas has changed, North Texas wants you to forgive and forget what happened. North Texas promises to never hurt you again. North Texas doesn't know why you are flinching. North Texas hurt you because North Texas loves you. 

Ok. I’ll go with your analogy

Except.....

we have a new husband, new house, new life  

were not asking the same husband to change because that guy isn’t around anymore

the “abuser” is gone 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

Great Post @Green Lantern!! I agree with you 100%

My only fear is that we are being over hyped and that we are going to come out with our chests out and get knocked down a peg or two. I dont think this will happen because SL has done a great job grounding our players and getting them well prepared for the majority of the games they have played in. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Great Post @Green Lantern!! I agree with you 100%

My only fear is that we are being over hyped and that we are going to come out with our chests out and get knocked down a peg or two. I dont think this will happen because SL has done a great job grounding our players and getting them well prepared for the majority of the games they have played in. 

The majority of our wins we have played in. Our losses, we looked like a dog chasing tail. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, UNTexas said:

It's one fan. And that fan is outlandish. 

It’s not though. I don’t post on there, but I read the CUSABB forum. The La Tech fans generally feel that way. Go look at almost any thread about season/schedule predictions or anything to do with North Texas.

Just wanted to point out that there’s not a logical reason to think we’ll significantly regress this year besides citing history that doesn’t have anything to do with what is currently happening with the program.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Thanks for making my point for me 

I think it more illustrates there are many rose colored glasses around these days. This team has won exactly what under SL? No conference championships. A losing season that made a bowl that we lost. A good season that saw us squeak by several mediocre teams and utterly annihilated against decent teams followed by an embarrassing bowl loss. If you think the coaches don't remind the team they've won nothing yet then you might want to remove those glasses. The team has improved but has a long way to go. As does the culture at UNT as a whole.

UNT already has me as a fan, alumni, and 4 year Letterman. Same with my wife. (Soccer) However, until this team consistently wins, improves, and wins when it counts I'll continue to be skeptical. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

The other teams in the West just don't take us very seriously.  Part of it is we won a lot of close games last year.  The other part is they just think we are a flash in the pan, every 5-6 years has a decent team type of program.  We have DMac to thank for that.

La. Tech saw we got drilled in the bowl game and they spanked a team that beat us SMU in their bowl.  I get that.  They have the right to think  they will beat us.

Now if we go out and win the West again, they will have to step up and take notice.

59 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

This, This and this....   I love UNT and following these teams, hell we have been sitting on the front row for going on 4-5 years now and I have no intention of going anywhere win or lose!  That being said...  Rooting for UNT is not easy as we all know.   I love these emerald colored glasses and I am drinking as much green Kool-Aid as I can find, but for some reason I remain a bit nervous and apprehensive about the season and the team, I don't see that changing any time soon though I welcome the change when it does come.

I can't wait for them to have an amazing season!

• Thanks 1

I was fortunate enough to attend NTSU when Hayden Fry was our football coach and Bill Blakely was our basketball coach.  It was so much fun.  We won a lot of games and beat named opponents.  I have been a season ticket holder for 10 or more years and I love my MEAN GREEN and I finally see some light around the corner.  It has been hard to be a fan at times but I never gave up hope.  These guys are the real deal.  This year will be good and next year even better.  GO EAGLES BEAT smuT!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Athletic Department should have that statement blown up in size and pasted on the locker room walls.  I know it's not the team that's doing the talking, but LT fans' attitudes towards the game against UNT should be used as added incentive to steam roll them.

I agree with this idea. We can't let them out of Denton this season with a win or else its the same ol' UNT.

La Tech is the big dog on our street in CUSA West. Southern Miss ain't too far behind them, either. We caught both of them last year at their place and managed to get by them, but both of those schools look at first place as their right--and I got no issue with their fans expecting that, since their recent past suggest that is right. 

If things are truly different in Denton, we will beat these guys here this season. Last time we beat them both on the road, the next season in 2014, we went right back to where we had been, an easy win again for them. La Tech, in particular, just murdered us at Apogee. We have got to beat them to show we belong and that last year was no fluke--because the folks in Ruston, Hattiesburg, Birmingham, and San Antonio all believe it was a fluke. 20 points (15 of which were against USM) separated us being winners instead of losers last season against these 4. And their fanbases know that the law of averages on close wins tends to work itself out the other way in the next season IF things aren't measurably better than they were. And our defense will be what determines this. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1