The North Texas quarterback ranks among the most exciting in college football in 2018

Harry

Ninety-eight yards, 57 seconds.

In one, game-winning drive last October vs. Conference USA rival UT-San Antonio, North Texas quarterback Mason Fine gained a national reputation. The sequence included Fine rolling out and then delivering a bomb through three defenders into the hands of receiver Michael Lawrence. Fine completed the drive when he found wide receiver Rico Bussey up the middle a fraction-of-a-second before a Roadrunners defender made contact. Bussey took Fine's fifth completion of the possession to pay dirt for the win.

The drive made highlight shows and was aired on telecasts coming out of timeouts around the nation.

"I never felt we couldn’t do it," Fine said. "Looking back on it, the probability of actually pulling that off is really low. But everyone had confidence: the [offensive] line, the coaches, the receivers, and nobody blinked."

Fine's assessment of the actual likelihood North Texas could pull off that rally isn't wrong. ESPN.com's Win Probability chart gave the Mean Green a 1.2 percent chance to win when they took the field for that drive. That march down the field there may not be a better quarterback at defying odds than Fine.

Despite being recognized as 2014 USA Today Oklahoma Player of the Year at Locust Grove High School, Fine garnered interest mostly from Div. II programs, and just one scholarship offer from a Div. I university: Austin Peay -- which, with a 3-43 record in the previous four seasons, was arguably the worst program in the Football Championship Subdivision.

"I’d be lying if I said it didn’t frustrate me, because that was a dream of mine, to play Div. I football," Fine said. "I’ve been working toward that for the past 10 years, then not seeing the letters come in, not seeing the offers come in."

Read more:  https://athlonsports.com/college-football/mason-fine-ty-gangi-andrew-ford-lead-group-5-qbs-watch-2018

58 minutes ago, meanrob said:

I'm not saying the people who advocated for Morris were wrong but we are in a WAY better position due to Fine playing his freshman year. 

How about those on here that thought Damascus Smith might be the answer here when SL got hired? Dude could barely beat out McNulty and Greer, the two worst QBs that we’ve ever started a game with in my almost 30 years of following the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

How about those on here that thought Damascus Smith might be the answer here when SL got hired? Dude could barely beat out McNulty and Greer, the two worst QBs that we’ve ever started a game with in my almost 30 years of following the team.

I was one of those.
Damarcus Smith was a baller.    Unfortunately his heart/brains could not keep up with his ability.   He was kept from starting by McCarney, likely due to his lack of heart/brains.  Once Chico took over, he loosed the canon.  Then Littrell showed up and likely requested buy-in immediately and didn't get it, so, he gone.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

36 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

To be fair to McNulty, Greer, and Smith, they all had receivers that couldn't catch a ball if it was handed to them.  The amount of drops on catchable passes I saw in 2014 and 2015 were absurd.  More important to teach them to block instead of catch I guess. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

He clearly had the arm talent. Maybe nothing else but he had that.