DMN thinks SL is Tech’s #1 choice to replace KK

untjim1995

8 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Neal Brown...former offensive coordinator at Texas Tech and is 1-0 against Seth Littrell. You can also add a signature win against LSU in there as well. How is he not the front runner in this case? Sounds like DMN is trolling the North Texas fan base again. 

Exactly.  Can we focus on SMU!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

"Look out for these names if Texas Tech decides to fire Kliff Kingsbury after the season" via @SportsDayDFW http://p.d-news.co/t4dh

The worry here is that Tech gets SL, GH, and Joel Filani all at once since the last two are Tech alums...

Littrell has an excellent gig in Denton, and is really just starting to see the fruits of his labor since being hired in December 2015. Those who know he and his family, it’s not all about the money with them. He has a certain quality of life, his family is closer than at any point in his career, and he’s a rockstar at UNT. He’s stated all along that this place can be a monster, and has yet to win a bowl game or championship.

There’s plenty of work left to do, and this guy is not leaving for a lower-middle of the pack Big XII job. He will stay here until the right job opens, and Texas Tech is not the right job. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Neal Brown...former offensive coordinator at Texas Tech and is 1-0 against Seth Littrell. You can also add a signature win against LSU in there as well. How is he not the front runner in this case? Sounds like DMN is trolling the North Texas fan base again. 

From a Tech alum at my office...apparently Brown did not leave Lubbock on good terms and would be a stretch to heal/make work.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, RBP79 said:

IMHO......SL needs to win ethier the conference championship or win a bowl to get that checked off his to do list. TT and Kansas want the full package not just a up a coming high profile name.

Didn't stop Arkansas from giving Morris $3.3M a year.  I'd argue SL has been more successful than Morris

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

that's actually a good point...

Don't know if I've ever seen a G5 coach turn less accomplishment into more...

I'd guess it was as much based on his OC history at Clemson.

Littrell has had more success as Head Coach, but Morris made more headlines as OC

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

that's actually a good point...

Don't know if I've ever seen a G5 coach turn less accomplishment into more...

His job as the Clemson OC and his rebuilding of SMU into a bowl team from being the worst team in the country in three years is very similar to SL being the UNC OC and rebuilding things here from the ashes in what amounts to be three years, as well.

I think SL is gone after this year if we win 8+ games. He doesn't have to win a bowl game or even a divisional championship to accomplish this. But if he does beat Arkansas, FAU, win CUSA West and/or a bowl opponent in 2018, the line forms to the left on who will want him at a power school. And I believe that Tech, Kansas, and UNC are all going to be calling him if we have the type of season that we all think we can have.

I will say this, though,--we have 4 wins on our schedule that are as close to automatic as you can get--Incarnate Word, Liberty, Rice, and UTEP. Wins over SMU, ODU, LT, USM, UAB, and UTSA aren't going to make the rest of the college football world go crazy for him if we get blasted by Arkansas and FAU and mix in a few bad losses to the group above and only get to 8 wins, the choices might only be a Kansas type opportunity. And this isn't out of the question at all if Mason gets hurt, if our defense remains a sieve against good passing teams, or we just don't close out wins late in games like we did last season.

• Downvote 1

I don’t get the call for Harrell to take over. He has two years experience as an OC and only 4-5 years coaching experience period. I think we can bring someone in with more experience.

How about we bring in Brown from Troy?

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I don’t get the call for Harrell to take over. He has two years experience as an OC and only 4-5 years coaching experience period. I think we can bring someone in with more experience.

I agree on GH. I love him but if we are willing to pay $1 million plus we can probably get a proven head coach. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Agree on the GH opinion

No knock on GH, but I sure hope our list of replacements is much more qualified than he is at this point....

• Upvote 1

Lets say Litrell does what he wants to this year...wins a Conference Championship, Bowl Game, 10 Wins, you name it...Where do we think the salary ceiling is for us right now?  Could we go to 2mil? 2.5?   or do we even try at that point and let him go with a big damn thank you and start again at the 1mil range?

On 8/16/2018 at 12:18 PM, Harry said:

I hate that we will have to deal with interest in him all season but you know what, it is much better than McCarney and Dodge who had zero interest from other schools.  Such is the life of a G5!

And Dickey, and Simon, and Parker, and every other NT coach since Fry and Rust.

On 8/16/2018 at 2:31 PM, GrayEagle said:

There will be some significant losses the year Mason graduates but we also have some highly regarded replacements, particularly at quarterback.  Heck, maybe Seth might want to stick around a little longer.

Word... Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mason stick around an extra year if the talent keeps building. He could just glue on a fake mustache

Edited by golfingomez

On 8/16/2018 at 12:06 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

What happens when a failed regime is booted?     
You go after someone EXTREMELY similar (former Leach guy, former same-system QB/WR) correct?

No, in most cases, people knee-jerk & go a different direction.  A defensive guy.  A balanced attack instead of spread. etc...

Kingsbury is way too close to Littrell in terms of who they are as coaches.   And Kingsbury/Harrell... virtually the same dude.   Something tells me the boosters would not go for it.

I would honestly be MUCH MORE concerned about Kansas than I am about Tech.
That is, unless Littrell just blows the lid off of this season & if that's the case, he'll have more than just Tech wanting him.

Spot on. Arkansas went from an air raid guy to a power running guy and now to a spread option guy.
In a conference loaded with fling-a-ding offenses where you aren't going to be a recruit's favorite you really want to be like the rest of the league or do you want something that calls for a different type of player and different preparation?