DMN thinks SL is Tech’s #1 choice to replace KK

untjim1995

We haven't snapped the ball once. These last couple of months, with all of the pre-season accolades and coach-poaching speculation, have been tough on my sleep pattern.  I have nightmares that we come running out on September 1 all pumped up, then proceed to stumble over our collective schlongs over and over and over...

Focus. Deep breath. Don't step on it!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Anyone else think that SL will stick around for Mason Fine's SR year and then leave for a big school? Kind of like a finish what I started thing.......This has been in the back of my mind and I feel like this could fit SL personality.

Just a thought

I've had the same thoughts. Trying to ignore them, maybe take a trip to de Nile.

• Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Anyone else think that SL will stick around for Mason Fine's SR year and then leave for a big school? Kind of like a finish what I started thing.......This has been in the back of my mind and I feel like this could fit SL personality.

Just a thought

My thoughts as well. *whispers* Plus look how much we lose after Mason’s senior year.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Just a thought

I’d agree with this if he hadn’t applied for the Tennessee job after last season...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

21 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

I'm pretty shocked that the DMN paid any attention to our program regardless of who is coaching.

This is the problem with the DFW/SWC media—any hint of success at North Texas means that the coach will jump up the ladder ASAP. 

I guess it’s up to us to prove this all wrong...

10 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

My thoughts as well. *whispers* Plus look how much we lose after Mason’s senior year.

There will be some significant losses the year Mason graduates but we also have some highly regarded replacements, particularly at quarterback.  Heck, maybe Seth might want to stick around a little longer.

• Ray 1

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Neal Brown...former offensive coordinator at Texas Tech and is 1-0 against Seth Littrell. You can also add a signature win against LSU in there as well. How is he not the front runner in this case? Sounds like DMN is trolling the North Texas fan base again. 

This. When people say Seth is frontrunner I'm like have you heard of Neal Brown. Listen, I love what SL has done. But we've been awful on D during his tenure. Neal Brown has been a HC longer, won more games, has been good on O and D. Beat LSU in Death Valley and beat the shit out of us last year. Why would SL be ahead of him? I get he has Filani and Graham on his staff but there's not guarantee they go (we could hire them here as HC and OC for instance) and if they did go, they may leave after a year or two. Plus Seth makes $1.4 now and Neal makes $800k so I assume Neal comes cheaper. Makes no sense to me. But then again, no ones asking me either.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

No chance in hell Coach Littrell would go to Tx Tech!

Coach Littrell is a much smarter guy than to choose something like Kansas or Tx Tech to hire on at. Geez! I will be seeing  the Littrell speculation all year!

If Coach Littrell wants to leave North Texas he will pick his own  choice of a program

instead of what the talking sports guys dream up.

Coach Littrell's last 3 stops are:

1. North Texas
  2. North Carolina
  3. Indiana

Notice a trend?  He ain't necessarily looking for an easy place to coach/win.  He appears to be looking for a place where he can leave a mark.  Kansas absolutely fits that profile.  ...AND it's still close to his hometown.

Put me down for Kansas at $2.7 mil per, Bob.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I think TX Tech would be better served to go after Sonny Dykes.  Son of the great Spike, grew up out there, been successful away from the cotton fields, etc...  The DMN article is just to throw shade at UNT and get you all up in arms since the DMN loves all things smuT.  Sonny Dykes makes more sense.

When we beat the Ponies the SMU alums will probably offer to pay Seth's buyout to get him out of town

5 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

Coach Littrell's last 3 stops are:

1. North Texas
  2. North Carolina
  3. Indiana

Notice a trend?  He ain't necessarily looking for an easy place to coach/win.  He appears to be looking for a place where he can leave a mark.  Kansas absolutely fits that profile.  ...AND it's still close to his hometown.

Put me down for Kansas at $2.7 mil per, Bob.

I tend to agree with you. He knows he’d get at least 4 years to rebuild things there and knows that they have money. Plus, when Old Man Snyder dies off at K-State, I suspect they will fall back and KU will leap them, just like they did after he retired the last time. He could bide his time there until that OU job opened up again...

10 hours ago, Harry said:

He would have to take that Tech job if offered.  That's just the bottom line in my mind.  They would double his money and the buy-out is chickenfeed still for a program with their resources.  I think our better hope is that Tech decides they want to focus more on defense after Coach Bro and hires a more defensive minded coach...

What would be a bigger job for Littrell?  Is Kansas a better gig?  I don't think so.  His dream job would probably be OU but Riley could stay there for decades.

I hate that we will have to deal with interest in him all season but you know what, it is much better than McCarney and Dodge who had zero interest from other schools.  Such is the life of a G5!

But does he really have to take it? He is making over $1M per year, has a roster he built, bosses he loves, a town he can raise his young family in, and a fan base that’ll do backflips if he just makes a bowl game. His job security is much better here. He is a family man and a family man doesn’t want to drag his school and children from town to town and school to school. Kids want to feel normal and his kids can live that in Denton. He still has some degree of anonymity in DFW.  In Lubbock? Not so much.

• Upvote 2