DMN thinks SL is Tech’s #1 choice to replace KK

untjim1995

I feel a little bit better about this, given SL's new salary and buyout clause.

KK makes 3.5 mil.  Littrell is making about 1.4, with a large buyout.    It could happen.  But, I am not sure Tech will be willing to make that move if they have other options.

Hopefully Tech will have a good year and KK will stay anyway.

• Upvote 3

What happens when a failed regime is booted?     
You go after someone EXTREMELY similar (former Leach guy, former same-system QB/WR) correct?

No, in most cases, people knee-jerk & go a different direction.  A defensive guy.  A balanced attack instead of spread. etc...

Kingsbury is way too close to Littrell in terms of who they are as coaches.   And Kingsbury/Harrell... virtually the same dude.   Something tells me the boosters would not go for it.

I would honestly be MUCH MORE concerned about Kansas than I am about Tech.
That is, unless Littrell just blows the lid off of this season & if that's the case, he'll have more than just Tech wanting him.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

He would have to take that Tech job if offered.  That's just the bottom line in my mind.  They would double his money and the buy-out is chickenfeed still for a program with their resources.  I think our better hope is that Tech decides they want to focus more on defense after Coach Bro and hires a more defensive minded coach...

What would be a bigger job for Littrell?  Is Kansas a better gig?  I don't think so.  His dream job would probably be OU but Riley could stay there for decades.

I hate that we will have to deal with interest in him all season but you know what, it is much better than McCarney and Dodge who had zero interest from other schools.  Such is the life of a G5!

While I would hate to see him leave I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that with this athletic director and the administrations support behind him he will make something good happen if this was to come about. Is GH ready for the HC job? If Wren offered it to him you would think he would take it over the OC at TT. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

"Look out for these names if Texas Tech decides to fire Kliff Kingsbury after the season" via @SportsDayDFW http://p.d-news.co/t4dh

The worry here is that Tech gets SL, GH, and Joel Filani all at once since the last two are Tech alums...

Would GH be our next head coach or would we want to do better?  TT needs to break out if the typical coach search and go for Kiffin!

No chance in hell Coach Littrell would go to Tx Tech!

Coach Littrell is a much smarter guy than to choose something like Kansas or Tx Tech to hire on at. Geez! I will be seeing  the Littrell speculation all year!

If Coach Littrell wants to leave North Texas he will pick his own  choice of a program

instead of what the talking sports guys dream up.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 2

I think TX Tech would be better served to go after Sonny Dykes.  Son of the great Spike, grew up out there, been successful away from the cotton fields, etc...  The DMN article is just to throw shade at UNT and get you all up in arms since the DMN loves all things smuT.  Sonny Dykes makes more sense, and he is an alumni of TT.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 6

I see three automatic wins for them (Baylor, Kansas, Lamar). Coach Bro is going to have to win 8 to keep his job I would think. I dont see where he is going to find the other 5 wins at. 

Toss up Games: Ole Miss (Neutral Field, Houston), Houston(Lubbock), Texas (Lubbock), Iowa State (Ames). If Texas still hasnt figured it out, Tech could very well steal this one and the Iowa State game in Iowa is always a tough away game.

Coach Bro is gone unless he can pull a Rabbit out of a hat and win some games. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

With the amount of money we're giving Littrell, if he were to leave, I'm fairly certain if we kept that same kind of salary up for a new guy, we could have the pick of just about any P5 coordinator.

Agreed. This is why I can’t understand the dissenters faction related to Seth’s new salary. It’s as much for Littrell as it is announcing to the football community at large that UNT is serious as a program. We comp $1.2 - $1.6 for a head coach at our level and you’re going to consistently have an amazing candidate pool. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Green Lantern said:

Agreed. This is why I can’t understand the dissenters faction related to Seth’s new salary. It’s as much for Littrell as it is announcing to the football community at large that UNT is serious as a program. We comp $1.2 - $1.6 for a head coach at our level and you’re going to consistently have an amazing candidate pool. 

Another reason to not worry about losing him if he bolts.   
Even though our hearts don't want him to & come up with every possible excuse as to why he would NEVER take a job at KU or some other lowly P5 that would fire their coach.   
Newsflash folks, if the program is in good shape/"desirable", they're likely not firing their coach!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Man, there's a lot of football to be played before this kind of scenario can be taken seriously  

Agree! After seeing this subject come up from several directions and posted in a few threads, my involuntary reaction just kicked in...

100.gif

• Thanks 3

Neal Brown...former offensive coordinator at Texas Tech and is 1-0 against Seth Littrell. You can also add a signature win against LSU in there as well. How is he not the front runner in this case? Sounds like DMN is trolling the North Texas fan base again. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1