Details of new contracts for Littrell, Baker, McCasland, Mitchell

Brett Vito

Also:

“That deal includes a buyout that starts at $2.1 million and decreases annually. Even with that annual decrease, Littrell would have to pay $1.68 million to leave UNT for another job following the upcoming season. That total would rank eighth among on the list of the highest buyouts paid by a coach in college football history.”

That’s excellent. 

• Lovely Take 1

I am happy about the raise to WB, it is about the right size, and some Universities may come after him. The increase in donations by themselves also kind of make him worth it.

The new BBall contracts are also really good and reasonable extensions.

However raising 400k for SL? He is good, but we are not getting enough back in terms of buyout from his side. Lets assume SL goes 10-2 this season. 1.7 Mill will not keep too many power 5s from calling, should they think he is their man. Also it is WBs job to also have a plan b, in case -against all expectation- last season turns out to be aberration and SL goes 5-7 and 3-9 the next two seasons. This contract will have UNT completely in a corner and with no shot at a plan b. Unless UNT somehow has much more funds than I think it does.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, outoftown said:

I am happy about the raise to WB, it is about the right size, and some Universities may come after him. The increase in donations by themselves also kind of make him worth it.

However raising 400k for SL? He is good, but we are not getting enough back in terms of buyout from his side. Lets assume SL goes 10-2 this season. 1.7 Mill will not keep too many power 5s from calling, should they think he is their man. Also it is WBs job to also have a plan b, in case -against all expectation- last season turns out to be aberration and SL goes 5-7 and 3-9 the next two seasons. This contract will have UNT completely in a corner and with no shot at a plan b. Unless UNT somehow has much more funds than I think it does.

I am of the firm belief that with the state of D1 football right now, this is our last shot of being relevant and maybe a hail mary chance to play with the big boys.  That being the case, i don't have a problem putting all our eggs in Littrell's basket.  If he fails and pulls the ole Danny Mac on us, then i don't think it's going to matter much that it sets us back, because i think that would be the nail in the coffin at this point.

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I don’t care if it’s beating a dead horse, it can’t be overstated how much RV was holding this athletic program back in every regard.

And if you stated such his last 12 to 18 months you were blacklisted while people tiringly tried to run you away. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 5

5 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Brint Ryan and Neal Smatresk hired Seth. Don’t mean to start the whole RV involvement debate but those in the know say Brint and Neal called the final shot. So I’d bet they drive the strategy here. It’s risk/reward. Are we assuming a risk, yes. But so far, it’s paid off (people made this same point last year when SL got a raise). My guess is the raise was part reward to Seth, part warning shot to TT and KU that hey we’ll play ball. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I am most excited about Jalie... i think the modest bump is in anticipation of a serious raise if the next two seasons are steady improvements... I'd love to see her next contract up around $250k. that would likely mean we are a much better basketball team at that point, and make us competitive for hiring Jalie's replacement should she get called up to the big leagues. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, MeanGreen13 said:

I am most excited about Jalie... i think the modest bump is in anticipation of a serious raise if the next two seasons are steady improvements... I'd love to see her next contract up around $250k. that would likely mean we are a much better basketball team at that point, and make us competitive for hiring Jalie's replacement should she get called up to the big leagues

Palm to forehead. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

Palm to forehead. 

yeah... wish it weren't so but reality is what it is. Jalie is young and if she maintains the improvement, someone will give her a professional opportunity that surpasses what NT can currently offer... that, regardless of money, will be hard for a competitor to pass up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

I am most excited about Jalie... i think the modest bump is in anticipation of a serious raise if the next two seasons are steady improvements... I'd love to see her next contract up around $250k. that would likely mean we are a much better basketball team at that point, and make us competitive for hiring Jalie's replacement should she get called up to the big leagues. 

Compensate her fairly and I think we have a good chance of keeping her. This is her program. 

• Lovely Take 1

51 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

It’s risk/reward. Are we assuming a risk, yes. But so far, it’s paid off (people made this same point last year when SL got a raise). My guess is the raise was part reward to Seth, part warning shot to TT and KU that hey we’ll play ball. 

The problem is, that compared to the last contract we are not really getting more upside, while the downside has increased. If SL goes 10-2 he is likely gone, and the new buyout doesn't change that or make it really financially attractive where it wasn't before. For that, the buyout would have had to be increased more. If he goes 9-3 and UNT keeps him, then I will assume having been wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

The institution has much more to work with these days than ever before and the gifts just keep coming. People like being on winning teams, whether that’s politics, athletics, academics, donations, etc.

We’re out of the Dark Ages.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

3 hours ago, outoftown said:

In theory I agree with you. But I doubt there is a coach out there who has had even minimum success that isn't compensated in this way. It's just the norm for college athletics. It's to the point where if you have a winning season, you are getting a raise/extension. Matt Campbell at Iowa State went 8-5 and got a huge new contract. Overall he's 11-14 in two years. It's a crazy business. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

7 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

The institution has much more to work with these days than ever before and the gifts just keep coming. People like being on winning teams, whether that’s politics, athletics, academics, donations, etc.

We’re out of the Dark Ages.

It’s crazy how many people don’t get this. There’s nothing to be scared of anymore. “Little Ol UNT” has finally grown up.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, if someone buys out Seth's contract (no matter how big it is), that means UNT has had a hell of a run. I'll take it! Also, with the hires Wren has shown he's committed to making, I trust that the next head coach will be a good fit and continue the momentum. Worrying about the size of the buyout is a relatively minor concern to me. Let's win some games, raise some money, and sell some tickets! Everything else will take care of itself in due time.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, outoftown said:

The problem is, that compared to the last contract we are not really getting more upside, while the downside has increased. If SL goes 10-2 he is likely gone, and the new buyout doesn't change that or make it really financially attractive where it wasn't before. For that, the buyout would have had to be increased more. If he goes 9-3 and UNT keeps him, then I will assume having been wrong.

Not the way I understand Vito's article. At the end of the 18 season the previous contract had the buyout at $700,000. The new one at over $1.6 million. I'd love it to be higher but I'm sure Seth's agents weren't going to let it be too high. If Vito is correct and it would be top 10 all time to be paid, that seems fair(ish) relative to the salary.

• Ray 1