Decent political discourse - John McCain

I have always liked McCain ...  He is very respectful of others that may disagree with him on some issue.  He also has tried to do what is right for AMERICA and not just what benefits his party or some support group....  too many now just don't do that. .

Now we have a guy that calls people childish "bully" names if they disagree with him. 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

4 hours ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

I have always liked McCain ...  He is very respectful of others that may disagree with him on some issue.  He also has tried to do what is right for AMERICA and not just what benefits his party or some support group....  too many now just don't do that. .

Now we have a guy that calls people childish "bully" names if they disagree with him. 

Agree.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

May he rest in peace. I admit to voting for him enthusiastically, but have read things about his conduct, written in later years, that disturb me. Additionally, his actions in the last couple of years have not pleased me. My final thoughts on him are definitely mixed.

Let's pay our respect to him and his family...it is deserved.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Good guy. Respect him for his service and for his call for civility during the 2008 campaign (look it up). He's an honorable individual and deserves to be celebrated.

Some stories that came out in the past 10 years really exemplify his privilege though, and you can't call yourself a maverick if you vote with Agent Orange 85% of the time. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

McCaiin was a good man but he is like all the others in congress.  No one is willing to face the natioinal debt.  They are all afraid of losing their seats in congress.  I think we need term limits in congress so maybe the leaders can start making decesion without worrying about being reelected.  It is funny the same people that got us here are the people we think can get us out of this mess.  I am not taking side of any party on this but things have to change we can not keep borrowing money. We have had a know social security problem since the 1970's and yet noting was done.  A little change then would have made a big difference now.  I remember Professor Skiles telling the class they we would need to get a full time and part time job to pay for social security. 

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

---- Debt concerns me also ... It was less than $6 trillion in 2001 [after 200+ years and multiple wars ] ... now over $20 trillion... Everyone loves tax cuts but somehow things need to be paid for ... plus the SUPER WEALTHY (those worth 100 million plus)  got most of the tax cuts ... not the average Joe. (we got just enough peanuts to keep some of us happy)..   This last cut gave corporations a 40% cut ... FORTY PERCENT..!!!!   and the debt is climbing .. now faster. -- This will eventually hit the fan... The problem when a politician tries to do WHAT IS NEEDED ... they don't get re-elected [ ask Bush Sr. ] 

It seems some people think when you are in debt... you should just earn less. crazy.  --- No one loves taxes but it takes money to support a military, justice/law enforcement system,  roads,  schools,   and various safety issues ..and inspections such as foods and drug ones. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

On 8/30/2018 at 12:13 PM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

---- Debt concerns me also ... It was less than $6 trillion in 2001 [after 200+ years and multiple wars ] ... now over $20 trillion... Everyone loves tax cuts but somehow things need to be paid for ... plus the SUPER WEALTHY (those worth 100 million plus)  got most of the tax cuts ... not the average Joe. (we got just enough peanuts to keep some of us happy)..   This last cut gave corporations a 40% cut ... FORTY PERCENT..!!!!   and the debt is climbing .. now faster. -- This will eventually hit the fan... The problem when a politician tries to do WHAT IS NEEDED ... they don't get re-elected [ ask Bush Sr. ] 

It seems some people think when you are in debt... you should just earn less. crazy.  --- No one loves taxes but it takes money to support a military, justice/law enforcement system,  roads,  schools,   and various safety issues ..and inspections such as foods and drug ones. 

Very true.

Unfortunately, everyone knows that Government spending is out of control.   Contracts are bloated.   
My sister works as a US probations officer.  She & everyone else in her office got brand spanking new iPad Airs because her office had extra money laying around & if they didn't use it, they would lose it.  Wow! maybe when they "lose it", it might go into a bonus pool for employees, or go back to the DOJ to use somewhere else?  Then, everyone looks at the big ticket items, like military or medicare/medicaid and say... "Why are we spending so much!?!?!?!"

It's like going shopping for a few pairs of shorts/t-shirts & not looking at prices.  Your big ticket items are a decent mortgage payment (military) & maybe you drive a 2015 Honda Accord with a low car payment (medicare/medicaid). 
You have $100 cash & could get 2 pairs of shorts & 2 t-shirts at Target with money left over (infrastructure projects).   Instead, you go to the Gucci store & buy 1 t-shirt with your cash, then buy 2 pairs of shorts & 1 more shirt with credit.   Then, you wonder why you're out of money and start blaming your mortgage & car payments.    Just stupid spending.

This goes for every singe person, regardless of party affiliation, in Washington DC.   Every politician knows the current state of operations, and look to get as much money back to their constituents as they can, rather than saying, "Hey everyone!  Let's try and curtail this frivolous spending & only use what we need so we can actually have lower taxes without going into greater debt!

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Very true.

Unfortunately, everyone knows that Government spending is out of control.   Contracts are bloated.   
My sister works as a US probations officer.  She & everyone else in her office got brand spanking new iPad Airs because her office had extra money laying around & if they didn't use it, they would lose it.  Wow! maybe when they "lose it", it might go into a bonus pool for employees, or go back to the DOJ to use somewhere else?  Then, everyone looks at the big ticket items, like military or medicare/medicaid and say... "Why are we spending so much!?!?!?!"

You know - that is how my business unit works at my company. They will spend every bit of the budget and have the same type of conversations. I wanted a Surface Pro 3 to play around with how touch screen applications work on it.. and since it was the end of the fiscal year and there was extra budget they didn't want to "give back" -- I got one. 

This is not a problem of "government" - it is a problem with bosses. 

Schools tend to spend the entire budget too ... but the ones I was at usually spent it on paper and supplies which would eventually be used. ...  not known as real waste.    If you don't spend it ... then you risk losing it (cutting your budget) for the next year and that can be bad. 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66