North Texas has Arkansas Worried

Salsa_Verde

It has been the most important for the last 3 years, and we rollover and play dead. I wish for some enthusiasm from coaches, team, students, & Denton but based on the past I would not expect it. Band will appear in their Jr. High tees and shorts (embarrassing), team and coaches see it as another ho hum OOC game. Visitors might bring 500 at best. This is the one home game I will be out of town. I could not stand to see a fouth straight loss to those arrogant bastards. If we lose agai we should cancel the series as we are not competitive. The coverage In Dallas of this game kills us there for the rest of the year every year.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 13

3 hours ago, DallasGreen said:

It has been the most important for the last 3 years, and we rollover and play dead. I wish for some enthusiasm from coaches, team, students, & Denton but based on the past I would not expect it. Band will appear in their Jr. High tees and shorts (embarrassing), team and coaches see it as another ho hum OOC game. Visitors might bring 500 at best. This is the one home game I will be out of town. I could not stand to see a fouth straight loss to those arrogant bastards. If we lose agai we should cancel the series as we are not competitive. The coverage In Dallas of this game kills us there for the rest of the year every year.

I assume you’re talking about SMU?...put the beer down and go to bed. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, DallasGreen said:

Like FAU, SMU has just been better than us these last three years. They had a solid offense, we had a below average pass defense. Courtland Sutton made us his bitch for two years in a row. 

I think this is the year we gain a lot of revenge on SMU. We are better than them.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Going to Arkansas right now for a masters degree. Will be at the game sitting with some people I know from school. However I will be sporting my unt hat. Most their fans have no clue who we are. Coach Morris knows and has beat us with a lesser talented smoo team. Unt has a chance and I hope they win. 

Edited by North Texas Shep
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Arkansas will be a tough team to beat.  They are an SEC program and they do recruit SEC talent.

Meh. Sort of, sometimes. 

They will have virtually no one from the 2014* class on the team any longer. So we'll start at the 2015 class...

2015 - 11th

2016 - 9th

2017 - 10th

2018 - 14th

2019 - 10th*

*I didn't start on the 2015 class for the sake of hiding a quality class from the narrative. They were 11th that year. 

*Current recruiting class. They have a couple programs behind them that will almost certainly leap frog them before NSD. So this class could be anywhere from 11th-13th. 

So, they are recruiting SEC talent because their little logo on their uniform says they are in the SEC. But they aren't an uber talented team by any stretch. 

Nevertheless, this will be a difficult game because they have better and more athletic OL and DL than we do. And there truly lies the problem. I think we can give them a run and if we can jump early, we could run away from a vulnerable team. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Meh. Sort of, sometimes. 

They will have virtually no one from the 2014* class on the team any longer. So we'll start at the 2015 class...

2015 - 11th

2016 - 9th

2017 - 10th

2018 - 14th

2019 - 10th*

*I didn't start on the 2015 class for the sake of hiding a quality class from the narrative. They were 11th that year. 

*Current recruiting class. They have a couple programs behind them that will almost certainly leap frog them before NSD. So this class could be anywhere from 11th-13th. 

So, they are recruiting SEC talent because their little logo on their uniform says they are in the SEC. But they aren't an uber talented team by any stretch. 

Nevertheless, this will be a difficult game because they have better and more athletic OL and DL than we do. And there truly lies the problem. I think we can give them a run and if we can jump early, we could run away from a vulnerable team. 

The problem is a top 10 class in the SEC is usually still a top 25 class nationally lol. There are by my count 4 current starters this year from the 2014 class but most have moved on (Cole Hedlund was also in that class). The 2018 class was ranked last because we could only sign 16 players, but it was more like 11th in average recruit ranking. Should have our best class in 10 years with the 2019 class.

Anyway, I agree with what the original video is saying. It seems like everyone nationally is talking more about the game @ Colorado State, but they are going to be one of the most inexperienced teams in college football this year. I could see our game being a shootout. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hogfan14 said:

The problem is a top 10 class in the SEC is usually still a top 25 class nationally lol. There are by my count 4 current starters this year from the 2014 class but most have moved on (Cole Hedlund was also in that class). The 2018 class was ranked last because we could only sign 16 players, but it was more like 11th in average recruit ranking. Should have our best class in 10 years with the 2019 class.

Anyway, I agree with what the original video is saying. It seems like everyone nationally is talking more about the game @ Colorado State, but they are going to be one of the most inexperienced teams in college football this year. I could see our game being a shootout. 

If NT is going to beat y'all, we have to be ahead by at least 10 going into the 4th quarter, otherwise your lines will start wearing our lines out & take full control like what happened last year @ Iowa.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hogfan14 said:

True. But the vast majority of your team are 3 stars. I typically put stock in the rating system, and argue with people around here that degrade it as irrelevant. But let's be real in this kind of scenario, these rating services bump up SEC, ACC, etc. 3 stars in comparison to our 3 stars often times because of where they landed. 

3 minutes ago, EazyE13 said:

I think its very possible that UNT beats Arkansas. I just dont think its likely. Something will happen to go in Arkansas favor and it will hurt us. But regardless atleast A&M will still blow em out along with the rest of the SEC lol

I don't really see A&M being a blowout, 3 of the last 4 games have gone into OT and that was with Bielema lol. Ole Miss and Vanderbilt at home are chances for a win. But anything over 6 wins may be a stretch.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If NT is going to beat y'all, we have to be ahead by at least 10 going into the 4th quarter, otherwise your lines will start wearing our lines out & take full control like what happened last year @ Iowa.

I don't know.  We have more depth on our lines than we have had in a long time.  Going to be an interesting game.

I have always been an Arkansas fan.  My Dad played there years ago as a freshman, my entire family is from the state, I am the first Texan, so behind UNT, I have always followed Arkansas.  It has become more difficult to follow them once they left the SWC, and I am not a fan of Coach Chad.  Man, I hope we win so I can gloat over all of my family.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, North Texas Shep said:

Going to Arkansas right now for a masters degree. Will be at the game sitting with some people I know from school. However I will be sporting my unt hat. Most their fans have no clue who we are. Coach Morrison knows and has beat us with a lesser talented smoo team. Unt has a chance and I hope they win. 

I just got my master's from Arky in May and I work for the University now. Glad to know there are other MG transplants up here.

• Thanks 1

Morris has pretty well owned us.  Now he's got even better athletes than he had at dirty schmoo.  I dismiss the whole rebuilding angle as it relates to us.  Maybe in week 1 they'll struggle with the new systems, but by week 3 they should be settling in much better.  Also, if their staff really believes it's a rebuilding year, they'll be looking harder at those sure wins that they'll need to keep their record from looking just completely dreadful.  We're one of those sure wins they'll have circled.

37 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Morris has pretty well owned us.  Now he's got even better athletes than he had at dirty schmoo.  I dismiss the whole rebuilding angle as it relates to us.  Maybe in week 1 they'll struggle with the new systems, but by week 3 they should be settling in much better.  Also, if their staff really believes it's a rebuilding year, they'll be looking harder at those sure wins that they'll need to keep their record from looking just completely dreadful.  We're one of those sure wins they'll have circled.

SMU did tons better than Arkansas against common opponent TCU. Maybe game plan with Chad at either helm makes the difference but perhaps not.

Proposal: even if you do lose to SMU ( 😄 ) you'd get a good idea of the offensive capabilities since they will be similar and will be better prepared for it. Also, beat Chad.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1