At which position would you like to see most improvement in 2018?

Harry

At which position would you like to see most improvement in 2018?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. At which position would you like to see most improvement in 2018?

• Defensive Line
    • Linebacker
    • Offensive Line
    • Special Teams
    • Defensive Backs

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I have and it's basically they beat us at the line of scrimmage on both sides.  Their running back is top notch and their roster is littered with top notch transfer and juco talent at pretty much every position.

I think it is a noble goal to just compete with them better this season.  I honestly think they are as loaded as any G5 in the country.  The problem they seem to have this season is the same as last, chemistry.  It may take a few games for them to settle on a new QB etc.  I don't think their game against OU early will be a good barometer of where they will be mid season.  If they have a good showing against OU they could be one of the best teams to ever come out of C-USA.

This.

i don’t think we’ve ever played in a conference with a team like FAU. They have lots of great talent, lots of questionable characters, and a coach with a mix of offensive genius, a lack of ethics, and a name to gain national attention at the G5 level.

Kiffin and FAU are unlike anything we’ve seen in our SBCUSA years...

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

On 8/14/2018 at 2:33 PM, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

If Mason goes down you can forget about the gobs of points you mentioned.  Last I checked you win the game by having more points than the other team.  LOL

Mason is great no question. But somehow I also have trust in QS and think UNT would score less, but wouldn't completely fall off a cliff offensively without Mason. But I don't think UNT will make any significant improvement defensively unless the DL does. I do have hope on that account though. I think it will at the very least be deeper than last season.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, outoftown said:

Mason is great no question. But somehow I also have trust in QS and think UNT would score less, but wouldn't completely fall off a cliff offensively without Mason. But I don't think UNT will make any significant improvement defensively unless the DL does. I do have hope on that account though. I think it will at the very least be deeper than last season.

I agree that for the most part Mason is great, but I still can not get out of my mind that opening possesstion of the second half of the NO Bowl when we were much in the game. He is hit from behind and coughs up the ball in our end of the field, and it's pretty much game over from there. He says he turned the wrong way and basically busted the play. That's understandable, but the fumble is not. We fumbled way too much last year, and a lot was slow release or failure to know when to throw it away. FAU both times took advantage of this. We must stop turnovers. SMU will turn every one of these into scores, and soon we will be in too deep a hole to ever climb out by constantly keeping a thin defense on the field. With regard to last year I can respect 4 losees before the bowl game( SMU where Sutton entirely dominated the game and Iowa and FAU(2) where we were clearly outclassed), but Troy was an aberation. They beat us worse than anybody on their schedule other than Coastal Caolina. Their QB had a hot hand and we were w/o Jeffery Wilson, but I still feel we played poorly on both sides of the ball and our game plan was non existant. No way Troy is that much better if at all. We just seemed to be going through the motions with no real desire to win. I suspect the 2 FAU blow outs had a lot to do with destroying any confidence. Just remember that yes 2017 was a nine win season, but we LOST 3 of the last 4 games. I would give 7 and take SMU in the opener if anyone is so inclined at the ticket pick up tommorrow.

• Downvote 1

I don't see any argument here that convinces me that O-line is not hands down the most important improvement the team needs. Fine had nearly the most sacks last year, how many hits? Our O-line last year was almost not there, Fine could rarely step into a pass the oline was getting pushed back and had more holes in it than a screen door. The year before was worse. For Fines Health we need improvement, Defense has plenty of problems but we are done without Fine.