Rank the UNT 2018 Schedule

TheColonyEagle

So we're a few weeks away from the start of the season and we have some really key matchups early on. I've been thinking about the schedule...

How would you rank the importance of our games: most important to least?

I'll go with:

1)  La Tech - I've gone back and forth between them and SMU and FAU...but it feels like our first conference game could be our most important. They're very talented and will be coming into Apogee ready to rumble. They were banged up last year and we barely got out with the W. They have the best D in the West. Winner should be the front runner in CUSA West

2) SMU - It's not a conference game but it's SMU and it's the opener and I think a huge measuring stick to see where our team is. Does the offense continue to dominate? Does the defense improve? Will we have a sell out? A lot of questions will be answered on 9/1

3) FAU - We got drilled twice by them last year. They could be ranked. Could be the biggest game in Apogee history. 

4) UAB - I'm not as high on UAB as a lot of people....but they have some talent and we're playing on the road. Games 1-3 are all at Apogee. This will be a test.

5) Arkansas - I don't know the last time I looked forward to going to a big boy as much as I do this one. This could be a shootout and I feel good about our chances to actually come out of there with a W. A W will give us national attention that is so important to this program right now. We're putting everything else together.....need to knock off that big boy

6) UTSA - Ugh

7) Southern MIss - I don't know if they're going to be down this year or not....I think they're kind of a mystery. But I enjoy playing them. Last year's game feels like a turning point for this team

8 - 12)  Liberty, Rice, ODU, Incarnate Word, UTEP  - We should win these games handily. New red shirt rule comes into effect for the young guys

• Upvote 2

I pretty much agree.  I'll go with . . .

1. FAU.  Are we really contenders or just pretenders for the C-USA Championship?  This game tells us.  Plus we really need redemption after last year.
  2. SMU.  Always a big deal.
  3. Arkansas.  If we win, it becomes #1.  If we lose, well, we were supposed to lose.
  4. UTSA.  Primarily because of how last year's game ended.  They'll be looking for payback.  The fact that it's the last game of the year could mean this game will decide the division.
  5. LaTech.  Home game against what should be good natural rivals.  They're always among the top 2 or 3 in the division.
  6. UAB.  They ought to be at least as good as they were late last season.  Which is good enough to compete for the C-USA West crown.
  7. Southern Miss.  After losing Ito Smith and others, I think they will be down a little bit.  Unless Griggs really picks up his game, which is not out of the question.
  8. Rice.  Home conference game.  Former SWC team.
  9. UTEP.  We get to see our old buddy Chico.
  10. Incarnate Word.  Gets the edge only because it's a home game.
  11. Old Dominion.  Yes, it's a conference game, but it's away and probably will not be nearly as crucial as our other conference games.
  12. Liberty.  A team that we should destroy, but...they do show some signs.
Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Lovely Take 1

1.  SMU  -  Sets the tone for the entire season.  3 years of frustrations to take out on the Ponies in front of the Mean Green faithful to start the season off with a bang.
2a.  Arkansas (if we win) - A potential program-changing win.
2b. UAB  -  Last year's nail-biter at Apogee was the difference between us winning the West & UAB winning the West.  This year, the game's at their house, & they'll have ambitions of winning the West as well with all of their returning players.  High stakes.
3.  LATech  -  Glad we have them at home, this game kicks off C-USA play.  Need to show the rest of C-USA West we're still on top and the pre-season darlings aren't ready to step up to the throne yet.
4.  FAU  -  Got 'em at home.  Revenge time.  Send a message to all of C-USA that we're going to win it all this year.
5.  UTSA -  The Roadrunner's Super Bowl is in the Alamodome this year.  They're going to give everything for our game, as usual.  Can't be asleep for this one.
6.  USM  -  Keep our foot on the rest of the West division's contenders necks.
7/8. Rice/UTEP  -  either order, we start getting into the part of the schedule where we should be expected to win, but these are C-USA West & Texas teams, so they mean a little more.  Both teams have new coaches, so they'll be in a transition, but they were just awful last year, so I expect a little improvement from both teams.
9.  ODU - On paper, this is the trap game of the season.  ...On the road ...right before FAU.   DO NOT OVERLOOK the Monarchs.  If the team stays focused, this should be an easy win.
10a. Arkansas (if we lose) -  Get out of there with a good showing, no injuries & a big check.  No one expecting us to win this game anyway, so we're playing with house money (literally, over $1million).
10b/c. UIW/Liberty -  These two teams lost to FCS Central Arkansas (UIW) & Jacksonville St. (Liberty) last year by a combined 67 points.   Any team that is serious about contending for a C-USA championship will destroy either of these teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

1.  SMU  -  Sets the tone for the entire season.  3 years of frustrations to take out on the Ponies in front of the Mean Green faithful to start the season off with a bang.
2a.  Arkansas (if we win) - A potential program-changing win.
2b. UAB  -  Last year's nail-biter at Apogee was the difference between us winning the West & UAB winning the West.  This year, the game's at their house, & they'll have ambitions of winning the West as well with all of their returning players.  High stakes.
3.  LATech  -  Glad we have them at home, this game kicks off C-USA play.  Need to show the rest of C-USA West we're still on top and the pre-season darlings aren't ready to step up to the throne yet.
4.  FAU  -  Got 'em at home.  Revenge time.  Send a message to all of C-USA that we're going to win it all this year.
5.  UTSA -  The Roadrunner's Super Bowl is in the Alamodome this year.  They're going to give everything for our game, as usual.  Can't be asleep for this one.
6.  USM  -  Keep our foot on the rest of the West division's contenders necks.
7/8. Rice/UTEP  -  either order, we start getting into the part of the schedule where we should be expected to win, but these are C-USA West & Texas teams, so they mean a little more.  Both teams have new coaches, so they'll be in a transition, but they were just awful last year, so I expect a little improvement from both teams.
9.  ODU - On paper, this is the trap game of the season.  ...On the road ...right before FAU.   DO NOT OVERLOOK the Monarchs.  If the team stays focused, this should be an easy win.
10a. Arkansas (if we lose) -  Get out of there with a good showing, no injuries & a big check.  No one expecting us to win this game anyway, so we're playing with house money (literally, over $1million).
10b/c. UIW/Liberty -  These two teams lost to FCS Central Arkansas (UIW) & Jacksonville St. (Liberty) last year by a combined 67 points.   Any team that is serious about contending for a C-USA championship will destroy either of these teams.

I'll say:

1.) SMU--its who the fanbase cares the most about, while getting the most DFW coverage we ever get each season

2.) La Tech--have to prove that they aren't still above us as a program, that we have surpassed them in CUSA West

3.)FAU--only team that truly looks as if they are heads and tails better than everyone else in CUSA play

4.)Arky--old SWC P5 giant with a new coach in a money game--this would get some major attention from lots of folks with a win

5.) UAB--this will be the game that I believe will determine who wins CUSA West--they have a great coach and lots of talent

6.)USM--Still a good solid G5 name, need to keep them down in CUSA West (A lesser version of La Tech right now)

7.)UTSA--in state rival that absolutely hates us, will play like its their Super Bowl (again), but they are sorta rebuilding again

8.) ODU--trap game, will be tougher than most imagine

9.) Rice--need to keep the bad CUSA West Texas team down, although they get kids often because of their academic pedigree

10.) UTEP-- need to keep bad CUSA West Texas team down, although they don't get many kids because of remote location

11.) Liberty--beat Baylor last year, but still a very low-level G5 team

12.) Incarnate Word--obvious

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I'll say:

1.) SMU--its who the fanbase cares the most about, while getting the most DFW coverage we ever get each season

2.) La Tech--have to prove that they aren't still above us as a program, that we have surpassed them in CUSA West

3.)FAU--only team that truly looks as if they are heads and tails better than everyone else in CUSA play

4.)Arky--old SWC P5 giant with a new coach in a money game--this would get some major attention from lots of folks with a win

5.) UAB--this will be the game that I believe will determine who wins CUSA West--they have a great coach and lots of talent

6.)USM--Still a good solid G5 name, need to keep them down in CUSA West (A lesser version of La Tech right now)

7.)UTSA--in state rival that absolutely hates us, will play like its their Super Bowl (again), but they are sorta rebuilding again

9.) Rice--need to keep the bad CUSA West Texas team down, although they get kids often because of their academic pedigree

10.) UTEP-- need to keep bad CUSA West Texas team down, although they don't get many kids because of remote location

Pretty close to what I was thinking. 2-3-4 are all very close in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1. SMU. We need to actually contribute to the rivalry and the metroplex (and G5 fans) will take notice if we beat them.

2. FAU. Revenge? Eh. I just really want to beat them.

3. LA Tech. They were, like, 3 points away from being 10-2 last year. 

4. Arkansas. All I ask for is a good game. I don't demand a W. Just go out there and show we can compete with P5 athletes. A W would be nice though. Nice as in I'd never shut up about it to my hog friends until the day I croak.

5. UTSA. Even the rivarly up and assert our dominance of I35.

6. UAB. I have no facts to back this up, but this game just doesn't scare me. I don't know why. We handled them pretty easily for most of the 2017 matchup. We'll be better. We should beat them. Meh.

7. Liberty. No slouch whatsoever and on the road, I can say this game makes me a little nervous.

8. USM. Hope they're better and give us a better game.

9. ODU. Might be a trap? I don't know anything about ODU football, sorry

10. UTEP. We should beat them this year, but they've actually played us *RELATIVELY* well recently despite struggles. I actually want UTEP to rebuild properly. Them being good helps us out and we need some beef in the west.

11. Rice. Have fun using a run first offense in Texas/CUSA, Rice lolololololololol

12. Incarnate Word. Really hoping I'm not wrong here.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So we're a few weeks away from the start of the season and we have some really key matchups early on. I've been thinking about the schedule...

How would you rank the importance of our games: most important to least?

I'll go with:

1)  La Tech - I've gone back and forth between them and SMU and FAU...but it feels like our first conference game could be our most important. They're very talented and will be coming into Apogee ready to rumble. They were banged up last year and we barely got out with the W. They have the best D in the West. Winner should be the front runner in CUSA West

2) SMU - It's not a conference game but it's SMU and it's the opener and I think a huge measuring stick to see where our team is. Does the offense continue to dominate? Does the defense improve? Will we have a sell out? A lot of questions will be answered on 9/1

3) FAU - We got drilled twice by them last year. They could be ranked. Could be the biggest game in Apogee history. 

4) UAB - I'm not as high on UAB as a lot of people....but they have some talent and we're playing on the road. Games 1-3 are all at Apogee. This will be a test.

5) Arkansas - I don't know the last time I looked forward to going to a big boy as much as I do this one. This could be a shootout and I feel good about our chances to actually come out of there with a W. A W will give us national attention that is so important to this program right now. We're putting everything else together.....need to knock off that big boy

6) UTSA - Ugh

7) Southern MIss - I don't know if they're going to be down this year or not....I think they're kind of a mystery. But I enjoy playing them. Last year's game feels like a turning point for this team

8 - 12)  Liberty, Rice, ODU, Incarnate Word, UTEP  - We should win these games handily. New red shirt rule comes into effect for the young guys

I like your ranking but @ ODU is going to be a tough game.  That was a young team last year and they gave us a scare last year in Denton.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1. UAB- I think this road game could decide who wins C-USA West.

2. LA Tech- This will probably be the toughest divisional home game this season.

3. SMU- We need to jockey ahead of the Mustangs this season. If we do, we could stay there for the foreseeable future. DFW will have a hard time ignoring that.

4. UTSA- I will never accept losing to them.

5. FAU- We can't get the crap beaten out of us for a 3rd straight game.

6. Arkansas-  It would be a statement win on the road, and we could do it.

7. ODU- This will be a difficult trip to the east.

8. Southern Miss- Two in a row against USM sends a message. Being bowl eligible after week 7, sends a bigger message.

9. Rice- We should beat our conference mate from Houston.

10. UTEP- Going undefeated against the other C-USA Texas programs is important for recruiting, and UTEP is awful.

11. Liberty- Got to beat the new kid.

12. Incarnate Word-  FCS program

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Smu 

La tech

Arky

Everyone else

All things considered, the smu game is a must win. Dropping that one is inexcusable imo. 

I agree SMU is huge but I hate to think we can blow a whole season in the very first game.

1. SMU (measuring stick vs. last season)

2-7. All Divisions Games (with LA Tech at the top of the list.  I care more about the teams we play & recruit against every season)

8-9. All Conference Games (FAU at the top of that list)

10. Arkansas (Its a payday game)

11-12. The fcs games. (Payday games the other direction.  I'm against all FBS vs fcs games.  There's a 120+ D1 teams, teams have plenty of options to schedule good games.)

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Dropping that one is inexcusable imo. 

As bad as I want to win it, I completely disagree.  SMU has the more talented roster.  The oddsmakers have it as a toss-up, and I'm sure a lot of experts will be picking SMU.  They  annihilated us last year, they return their starting QB, and they have been improving each year.  The primary advantage going for us is that they are going to a new coach and a new system, but I'm not sure their new system (Air Raid) is going to be all that difficult to implement.  Sonny Dykes had success at this level before.  Losing to Incarnate Word is inexcusable.  Losing to SMU, though undesirable, is understandable.

2 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

As bad as I want to win it, I completely disagree.  SMU has the more talented roster.  The oddsmakers have it as a toss-up, and I'm sure a lot of experts will be picking SMU.  They  annihilated us last year, they return their starting QB, and they have been improving each year.  The primary advantage going for us is that they are going to a new coach and a new system, but I'm not sure their new system (Air Raid) is going to be all that difficult to implement.  Sonny Dykes had success at this level before.  Losing to Incarnate Word is inexcusable.  Losing to SMU, though undesirable, is understandable.

Everything is in our favor, including being favored. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I'll say:

I'd say your list is spot on for me.

-I'd add SMU is for recruiting purposes.

-Arkansas would be an epic win that we'd talk about forever. Plus recruiting.

-UTEP needs to be crushed because of that beat down they gave us a few years ago. (I'm from El Paso too and have a lot of friends and family that went there so I want to crush them annually.

-UTSA is a must win mostly because their fans and I'm more of a Chich fil A guy.

• Haha 1

1.  FAU - at this point looms to be the favorite for the CUSA crown and maybe the best team on the schedule

2.  Arkansas - I feel this is a winnable game that would do more than other to enhance NT's perception.

3.  La Tech - A program that NT needs to start to dominate and should be very important in deciding the CUSA West champion.

4.  SMU - Most important game for a lot of NT fans, but has little national importance especially being the first game.

5,  UAB - Apparently a popular pick to win the West, should be a very competitive game

6.  UTSA -  For Texas CUSA championship

7.  USM - Traditionally a very good program

8.  ODU - Crossover game that NT should win

9.  Rice -  Looks like another down year for the Owls

10.  Liberty - Will be better than most think

11. UTEP - Rated near bottom of most preseason polls for FB division teams, however seems to play NT very tough

12.  Incarnate Word - Pay for win team

• Lovely Take 1

On 8/10/2018 at 3:38 PM, untjim1995 said:

I'll say:

This is nearly verbatim my order and same reasoning.

• Ray 1