Here's a theory...

meanrob

I get what you are saying, but with our O-line problems I do not see it being a good idea if teams score 35 a game on us hoping we will outscore them. That happened too much last season and we often relied on a guy named Trevor Moore (anyone ever heard of him?) to pull us through. I seem to remember a Dolphins team in the NFL, with arguably the best QB to ever play the game in Dan Marino, scoring a ton of points, but they couldn't stop teams from scoring. It was a shame really because IMO, Marino is the best QB to ever play the game to not win a championship. Now if the line can keep Mason upright, then this may be an effective strategy. I may just be too old school, but I still think defense wins championships. I do understand in today's game it is harder for defenses to keep offenses from scoring, but I would much rather see us keep teams under 30 because I believe our offense has the ability to put 30 up on most teams including a lot of P5 teams.

• Lovely Take 1

44 minutes ago, Venson said:

I get what you are saying, but with our O-line problems I do not see it being a good idea if teams score 35 a game on us hoping we will outscore them. That happened too much last season and we often relied on a guy named Trevor Moore (anyone ever heard of him?) to pull us through. I seem to remember a Dolphins team in the NFL, with arguably the best QB to ever play the game in Dan Marino, scoring a ton of points, but they couldn't stop teams from scoring. It was a shame really because IMO, Marino is the best QB to ever play the game to not win a championship. Now if the line can keep Mason upright, then this may be an effective strategy. I may just be too old school, but I still think defense wins championships. I do understand in today's game it is harder for defenses to keep offenses from scoring, but I would much rather see us keep teams under 30 because I believe our offense has the ability to put 30 up on most teams including a lot of P5 teams.

I didn't say a whole season of this, I said come out super aggressive against SMU. It'd be nice if the Ponies looked up and saw they were down 14-20 points rather than us playing catch-up against them. Get the lead, get the crowd into it and run the ball down their throat in the fourth quarter. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, meanrob said:

In my twenty-five years of UNT fandom this might be the most attack-oriented offense we have ever had. The Dodge years could move the ball but took what the defense gave them and didn't dictate much.  This offense tries to dictate everything.

That's one way I would have put things.

• Lovely Take 1