Dallas punts on giving ESPN $300,000 to keep Heart of Dallas Bowl at Fair Park

Wait Dallas has to pay ESPN $300K?

Call me naive, but from a financial standpoint, do they even make their money back? What does Dallas have to gain for a mediocre slot on a mediocre day at a mediocre venue?

If HOD could garner a better matchup then it would make sense.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Shut down the cotton bowl, give the HOD Bowl to Jerry Jones.  Or..........

The HOD Bowl simply folds tent.  When it does, re-create the Bluebonnet Bowl and have it played in Austin at UTs stadium.  It could easily become a major bowl game.

And I might add.....I am no fan of Austin, Tx, nor the University of Texas.  Despise both.  But like my Dad use to say,  "business is business".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Why hold a bowl in a city, where the venue is in a high crime area and the city is nearly 1000 police officers short because they ran them off with low pay and a pension that will disappear in 2024. Besides....they have to build their rumble park over 35 E in Oak Cliff to give their gangs a place to hang put!

Edited by RBP79
Lang
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This...Austin would be a much better bowl city venue than Dallas , anyway.

Have you been downtown lately? Trinity grove? The Cedars? Deep Ellum? Uptown? Bishop Arts,? Fair Park? Sylvan - Thirty area? Design District? Katy Trail?

Changing very fast some of the best food and bars in DFW and the State. 

11 hours ago, Harry said:

State Fair move too?  Texas OU? That would be a shame for the City and it’s history.  But you’re right - if they keep sitting on their hands They deserve to lose it.

There have been discussions as about moving the state fair and Texas/OU has already discussed moving to AT&T after the current contract. Who wants to take their family down to the ghetto for a fair or game? Not me. It sucks. That part of Dallas is terrible. Sad truth. 

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, KingDL1 said:

Have you been downtown lately? Trinity grove? The Cedars? Deep Ellum? Uptown? Bishop Arts,? Fair Park? Sylvan - Thirty area? Design District? Katy Trail?

I have. Many of those areas are great places to get your car broken in to while you feel trendy hanging out on a clean looking spot on a turd next a homeless guy.

Katy Trail and Uptown are nice though.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 5

18 hours ago, UNTexas said:

The Armed Services Bowl or the Frisco Bowl aren't looking so bad for local bowl games. (Especially for schools that are opening a new campus in one of those towns.) The HOD was pretty sad looking on tv. The sad truth is the Cotton Bowl ran its course. It's falling apart and in a rough area. The City of Dallas has given up on football over the years. At least we earned a trophy from the HOD if it dies.

Go to the Frisco Bowl they said.

It will be a good time they said.

The only thing that happened was my alcohol budget being bolstered.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

@PlummMeanGreen would be a better source for this but I'll try. 

As I recall, Jerry Jones had a meeting with then Mayor Laura Miller The topic was how much money the City of Dallas would pay to build the new stadium  at Fair Park.  Jerry Jones said he had an offer for a "zillion" dollars from Arlington.  Mayor Laura Miller thought he was bluffing and said something like, "If you can get that deal you should go get it."  He wasn't and he did and that was the beginning of the end of the Cotton Bowl and the area around Fair Park for that matter.  The mayor had a chance to completely rebuild that part of downtown Dallas and got out bluffed.  Too bad.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, malonish said:

Go to the Frisco Bowl they said.

It will be a good time they said.

The only thing that happened was my alcohol budget being bolstered.

La Tech took no mercy on ya'll. I took a group of kids to that game so I sadly didn't drink. I always cheer for Texas teams so crappy outcome but we had fun. We did all the Christmas stuff across the street instead of tailgating.

2 hours ago, UNTexas said:

There have been discussions as about moving the state fair and Texas/OU has already discussed moving to AT&T after the current contract. Who wants to take their family down to the ghetto for a fair or game? Not me. It sucks. That part of Dallas is terrible. Sad truth. 

Guess that says a lot more about you. I go to the fair every year I've never had a problem in the area

2 hours ago, UNTexas said:

I have. Many of those areas are great places to get your car broken in to while you feel trendy hanging out on a clean looking spot on a turd next a homeless guy.

Katy Trail and Uptown are nice though.

Not really and these areas are gaining steam, in the old days it Deep Ellum was in the middle of a bottomless hole, but most of the crappy slum apartments have been taken down in that area and north Oak cliff is really changing. Trinity grove area  is pushing west with the river creating a barrier so it depends where you are. Things are changing fast and rat nest are getting cleaned out pretty fast. 

Plenty of cars get broken into Austin as well, I know 6th street was not the safest place to park a car at night. 

The trend is massive surrounding downtown like never has been attempted before. And much more to come we see new deals and new developments almost everyday hit the book in Retail Real Estate. 

21 hours ago, Harry said:

Should have been us but you’re right the matchups have sucked.  Still 300K is chicken feed for Dallas and this would be a dumb move as there are plenty of cities that would want to host it and do a much better job.  Dallas really pisses me off -  it’s politics are very dysfunctional and have been for decades.

amen

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Legacy West and the Boardwalk at Granite Park are pretty nice. The area around The Star is developing into a cool place to visit as well. All are closer than downtown Dallas if you don't live in Dallas Co.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Oh I agree on all of this...but the venue, DKR vs the Cotton Bowl, is a no-brainer. DKR is superior in almost every way to the Cotton Bowl, save for history. But Dallas doesn't care about college football unless it involves one of the regional P5 giants. Austin may not either, but they do love college football down there.

• Downvote 2

• Harry locked this topic