Dallas punts on giving ESPN $300,000 to keep Heart of Dallas Bowl at Fair Park

6 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Who played in that bowl last year? Utah and West Virginia? No one showed up to that game. 

Should have been us but you’re right the matchups have sucked.  Still 300K is chicken feed for Dallas and this would be a dumb move as there are plenty of cities that would want to host it and do a much better job.  Dallas really pisses me off -  it’s politics are very dysfunctional and have been for decades.

22 minutes ago, Harry said:

Should have been us but you’re right the matchups have sucked.  Still 300K is chicken feed for Dallas and this would be a dumb move as there are plenty of cities that would want to host it and do a much better job.  Dallas really pisses me off -  it’s politics are very dysfunctional and have been for decades.

If they'd ever gotten the chance to match North Texas up against a Big 10 (Thanks Sandusky and Penn St!) or a Big 12 opponent, they wouldn't be having this discussion as there'd be 60,000-70,000 people in the stands with the right match-up.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, wardly said:

I believe this money came from budget that is used to create tourism and drive hotel business.UNT does neither. What they want is 40,000+ out of state fans who will spend money.

Exactly. No one will travel across the country to see their 6 win BIG team play another 6 win team or a CUSA squad, but if you put 30k UNT fans in there there is very little hotel need.

Ideal would be NT versus a close BIG12 team, like Tech or even Nebraska. 

• Upvote 1

The Armed Services Bowl or the Frisco Bowl aren't looking so bad for local bowl games. (Especially for schools that are opening a new campus in one of those towns.) The HOD was pretty sad looking on tv. The sad truth is the Cotton Bowl ran its course. It's falling apart and in a rough area. The City of Dallas has given up on football over the years. At least we earned a trophy from the HOD if it dies.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Exactly. No one will travel across the country to see their 6 win BIG team play another 6 win team or a CUSA squad, but if you put 30k UNT fans in there there is very little hotel need.

Ideal would be NT versus a close BIG12 team, like Tech or even Nebraska. 

Nebraska is the definition of a 6-6 Big Ten team. 

• Upvote 1

C-USA never should have sold this bowl to ESPN. If legal, North Texas should subsidize the $300K for Dallas to host the HOD for the next two seasons, provided we are the first option when bowl eligible. I would hope the city of Denton partnered would partner with North Texas and consider negotiating with ESPN to have the game moved to Apogee after the current deal with the Cotton Bowl expires.

Boise had a pretty good deal with the Potato bowl for a number of years, and it allowed Boise to grow their program.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

C-USA never should have sold this bowl to ESPN. If legal, North Texas should subsidize the $300K for Dallas to host the HOD for the next two seasons, provided we are the first option when bowl eligible. I would hope the city of Denton partnered would partner with North Texas and consider negotiating with ESPN to have the game moved to Apogee after the current deal with the Cotton Bowl expires.

Boise had a pretty good deal with the Potato bowl for a number of years, and it allowed Boise to grow their program.

As much as I'd like to see a bowl in Denton, I don't think it will happen because people in Denton don't turn out for football. There's also a new bowl game on the other side of the lake that rolls out the red carpet for anything sports related.

I seriously doubt it's legal to buy your way into a bowl the way you mentioned. Even if we could I'd also hate to see UNT waste money on ridiculous Dallas politics that does very little for UNT. I also wouldn't want us in a bowl game we don't deserve to be in. 

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I think the Cotton Bowl’s time is up as a major venue. Just tear it down already and move the Bowl to Jerry’s World. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I think the Cotton Bowl’s time is up as a major venue. Just tear it down already and move the Bowl to Jerry’s World. 

State Fair move too?  Texas OU? That would be a shame for the City and it’s history.  But you’re right - if they keep sitting on their hands They deserve to lose it.

7 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Who played in that bowl last year? Utah and West Virginia? No one showed up to that game. 

No one showed up because it was colder than a witch's tit. I work outside in snow and have to wear balaclava at times, and I was freezing my ass off. It also doesn't help that the city and organizers don't do enough to get the word out to local police, fire, and ems agencies that they get honored at the game and it's played for them and they get free tickets. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Shut down the cotton bowl, give the HOD Bowl to Jerry Jones.  Or..........

The HOD Bowl simply folds tent.  When it does, re-create the Bluebonnet Bowl and have it played in Austin at UTs stadium.  It could easily become a major bowl game.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, Harry said:

State Fair move too?  Texas OU? That would be a shame for the City and it’s history.  But you’re right - if they keep sitting on their hands They deserve to lose it.

Isn’t Texas vs OU done at Jerry’s world now? 🤨....and the State Fair at State Fair Park in Dallas?  The death of the Cotton Bowl I think is more of a result of Dallas not getting it’s house in order to get the new Cowboys stadium built within the city limits  

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, wardly said:

Maybe I am missing something, but why would Austin want a 2nd tier bowl game?

Austin is a fast growing market with a desire to hold marque events. It’s only a 2nd tier event because Dallas can’t front the money to make it better. The venue doesn’t create any buzz anymore. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Isn’t Texas vs OU done at Jerry’s world now? 🤨....and the State Fair at State Fair Park in Dallas?  The death of the Cotton Bowl I think is more of a result of Dallas not getting it’s house in order to get the new Cowboys stadium built within the city limits  

Texas/OU is at the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair.

• Thanks 2