UNT loses backup linebacker (updated with story)

Brett Vito

16 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Heres an updated story. He is headed to Juco route. Sounds like between Chris Thornton, William Lemasters and incoming freshman linebacker room got a little crowded for him. 

Man, That sucks. I thought he had the potential to be very good and beat out the competition

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Man, That sucks. I thought he had the potential to be very good and beat out the competition

I was pretty pumped about Fulp, but he reminded me a little too much of Garner in play style, and it doesn't fit this defense well. Slow, Downhill thumpers are not ideal. Every play I saw Fulp in it seemed like he was always the 2nd or 3rd guy to get to the ball

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

On that list you’ve got two seniors who will open up starting spots after this year, three walkons who have proven very little at the division 1 level, and two true freshman who held I think just one other FBS offer between the two of them (Nixon and Hunt). I’m not saying that’s a bad group, but at the FBS level that’s about as favorable a situation as you’re going to get if you’re in Fulp’s shoes.

Davis and the commits are solid, but if you’re scared about those younger guys taking your spot while older guys above you are opening up spots, then going JUCO is not going to solve your playing time problem.

Kody Fulp just had a ULM offer.

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Kody Fulp just had a ULM offer.

That does not surprise me. After Kody made his decision and discussed his future with Coach Reff, I suspect Reff talked to some of his old contacts at ULM to see if they still had a need. No info, just my gut.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

That does not surprise me. After Kody made his decision and discussed his future with Coach Reff, I suspect Reff talked to some of his old contacts at ULM to see if they still had a need. No info, just my gut.

His ULM offer was before he signed with us.  In fact, I think we flipped him.

• Lovely Take 1

On 8/8/2018 at 7:12 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

Seniors

Ej

BG

Jr

Tim faison

Other underclassmen to watch for

Corey Mann

William Lemasters

Mike linehan

Kd Davis

Larry Nixon

Jordan hunt

The 4 three star lb committed. Some can see the writing on the wall. 

Exactly. We are reaching a point in the program where the quality of talent and depth in the program is constantly rising. If a player sees that the future isn’t bright for him, or doesn’t like the demands of working to improve to better prepare oneself to compete with better athletes, they are likely going to leave. It’s obvious that Littrell and staff care about their players, and ultimately want kids who want to be here.

16 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Point is, if he doesn’t think he has a good shot at future playing time because of walkons and dudes in high school, he may struggle trying to find a program with a situation that he finds favorable from a competition standpoint.

Completly agree

4 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Exactly. We are reaching a point in the program where the quality of talent and depth in the program is constantly rising. If a player sees that the future isn’t bright for him, or doesn’t like the demands of working to improve to better prepare oneself to compete with better athletes, they are likely going to leave. It’s obvious that Littrell and staff care about their players, and ultimately want kids who want to be here.

This is very true

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

...waitagoshdarnminute

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, greenjoe said:

"...to advance my football career with new opportunities."

Isn't this a major step backwards ?

Sometimes the player will decide that they don't like the situation and bail to juco where they could have a chance to better their recruiting lot IF and that is a big IF they are able to perform well at the Juco level.  Juco is a tough road.  There is p5 talent all over the place and also some bad apples.  He evidently decided UNT was not the place for him and decided to roll the dice for a better situation.

On 8/15/2018 at 9:24 AM, greenjoe said:

"...to advance my football career with new opportunities."

Isn't this a major step backwards ?

I think he meant to say that by using advanced analytics to review the current roster he recognized an opportunity to pivot and build more  synergy at Navarro.  You can never have enough synergy.

• Upvote 1