New Touchdown Terrace at Apogee

Harry

It's the revival of the Fouts Field endzone tent city! Would be good for one game -- or maybe only one half of that one game a year where the weather is neither blistering hot nor cold and rainy.  I like their ambition on trying to create game day appeal. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

They’re way at the end of the field, so I’ll stick to 105.  

Plus I don’t have $650 a seat to spend

Where does that $650 figure come from?  That's more than buying club seats to go sit in the end zone. 

Anywho, Apogee not the only one coming up with gimmick seating.  The student section at SMU has been moved to an end zone standing only "Party deck."  Check this new see, be seen, and liquor up before nefarious post game activities joint. 

DkAWOEGVAAANf7p_1533667654663_5897263_ve

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

Trying to google this thing, and it repeatedly appears that a "Touchdown Terrace" was supposed to be part of the original Apogee plans with a VIP reception to be held there on September 30th, 2011. Interesting. 

That was the original purpose of that rooftop patio on the athletic center.

In the end the AC ended up not being directly attached to the stadium, and they put a huge billboard the block the view.

2 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I do believe I've heard that before.  What..uh...what went awry on that plan? 

I heard the plan was to put the scoreboard on top of the Athletic Center but it was going to cost a ton of money to add the infrastructure to support the weight of the scoreboard so it was moved to where it is today.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

From what I was told, the original plan was to put the larger scoreboard/video screen in the north end zone.  However, noise and light complaints from Denia forced them to put it in the south end zone facing north.  Putting it on top of the AC wasn't feasible for a lot of reasons, so it was put right in front of what would have been the touchdown terrace.  I think there are now plans being evaluated to somehow move that scoreboard/video screen, add another one so all of stadium has one to view and finish a build out of what was planned to be a touchdown terrace by extending it out.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

From what I was told, the original plan was to put the larger scoreboard/video screen in the north end zone.  However, noise and light complaints from Denia forced them to put it in the south end zone facing north.  Putting it on top of the AC wasn't feasible for a lot of reasons, so it was put right in front of what would have been the touchdown terrace.  I think there are now plans being evaluated to somehow move that scoreboard/video screen, add another one so all of stadium has one to view and finish a build out of what was planned to be a touchdown terrace by extending it out.

I believe this is the last season the big jumbo-tron will be in the south endzone. From what I remember, the plan is to have 4 slightly smaller screens in the four corners of the stadium. 

• Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, meangreanmick said:

This.  See graphic below with scoreboard above North end zone. 

render-09f.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

@UNT 90 Grad it appears to be a design flaw as the diamond vision screen if placed on top of the wing would be way to small and high.  Also it would see you want the screen to face the highways for optimal visibility from traffic.  

I don’t know what the answer is to be quite honest.  Need to get some architects engineers etc to think it thru.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

@UNT 90 Grad it appears to be a design flaw as the diamond vision screen if placed on top of the wing would be way to small and high.  Also it would see you want the screen to face the highways for optimal visibility from traffic.  

I don’t know what the answer is to be quite honest.  Need to get some architects engineers etc to think it thru.

I agree.  I was just showing what the original plan was, which was later scrapped.  The pic is from before the stadium was built.  The scuttlebutt I’ve heard for the future was the scoreboards in the four corners.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

19 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

They’re way at the end of the field, so I’ll stick to 105.  

Plus I don’t have $650 a seat to spend

I ended up getting the Touchdown Terrace tickets because it was better deal for me. I told them that I rarely sit down during the games. I kind of walk back and forth in the stadium as the ball is moving up and down the field. The location of the seats would have you baking in the sun on hot days. They are great seats when the ball is in that part of the field. When the ball goes to the other side, you won't have a very good view of what is happening down there. So, I would say if you like to use your seats during the game, I would not get them. If you walk like me, then it is worth it because you still have access to the club level and you can always sit in the silver chairs outside if you want to get out of the sun. As far as cost, they are $1000 each. For that you get club access, parking pass, and your seat. That price includes the donation to the Mean Green scholarship fund. You also get access to the club level for events outside of Mean Green football if the club level is open. Again if you like to sit during the game, I would suggest spending the extra money to stay out of the sun. I hope this helps everyone.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 2

3 hours ago, Stan R said:

Not crazy about the idea of 4 smaller screens instead of the one large one we have now... Let's be honest, I hate it.  

Right now everyone is dialed in on the big screen and it creates excitement.  I feel like 4 smaller screens just dials back the hype during the games. 

Huh? I think everyone is dialed in to whats happening on the FIELD, not the screen.

Multiple screens won't change a damn thing. If you've ever been to a sports bar for a big game you'll notice people watching the game on about 10 different TVs and it doesn't dial back the excitement at all. It's about giving people the best possible view. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Huh? I think everyone is dialed in to whats happening on the FIELD, not the screen.

Multiple screens won't change a damn thing. If you've ever been to a sports bar for a big game you'll notice people watching the game on about 10 different TVs and it doesn't dial back the excitement at all. It's about giving people the best possible view. 

Don't disagree with the fact that people are mostly watching the action on the field, I do as well.  I still think the jumbotron is a big focal point during the games and it doesn't change my opinion.  

4 smaller screens is a terrible idea. Sticking with that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Stan R said:

Don't disagree with the fact that people are mostly watching the action on the field, I do as well.  I still think the jumbotron is a big focal point during the games and it doesn't change my opinion.  

I agree with you.  Like it or not size does matter in terms of your stadium video screen.  It makes an impression on fans and lots of people watch it during the games.  Also helps with recruits.

14 minutes ago, Stan R said:

Yep.   I don't want to be squinting at small screens across the stadium when trying to watch replays of challenged calls.