North Carolina suspends 13

Kudos to UNC for not just telling them to go stand in the corner or giving them a scowl and a finger-wag. Perhaps the punishment will be sufficient to deter future transgressions and deliver a message to all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Remember when Dickey's team had all those players with their mugshots on the Denton County sheriff page?

One of those incidents was for players stealing textbooks from locker rooms and then selling them back to the campus bookstore. Some of those players were our favorite talents (purposely not naming names) and didn't see any notable suspensions. 

Though UNC is in a different boat because they have such smoke above their fire..  All programs have some smoke though. Unfortunately. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Harry said:

These types of situations should not be allowed to take advantage of the new redshirt rule.

How is this taking advantage of the redshirt rule? 

They need to get booted from the team...Anything outside of a parking/speeding ticket should warrant a boot from the team, any team. Too much of this shit has been allowed to manifest itself in the fabric of collegiate sports as if it's just a part of it and if it's not murder or basically taped rape, 9/10 they get a pass. I call BS. 

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know. I mean don't get me wrong, the school has to react because this can easily become an NCAA violation with consequences for the school and it is a misappropriation of the gift. However, there is not exactly a need to completely nail those guys to a cross (unless they ran afoul of rules already once before). I do think that some of these dudes probably have trouble understanding that these shoes are not a gift to them but simply a work tool they need to take care of. If it were a gift you could do with it whatever you want. There needs to be a difference between this kind of thing and something that is a much more serious crime (domestic violence etc). So a suspension and maybe also a suspension of some future school issued material seems appropriate (since they seem not to be able to handle it).

Edited by outoftown
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

I don't know. I mean don't get me wrong, the school has to react because this can easily become an NCAA violation with consequences for the school and it is a misappropriation of the gift. However, there is not exactly a need to completely nail those guys to a cross (unless they ran afoul of rules already once before). I do think that some of these dudes probably have trouble understanding that these shoes are not a gift to them but simply a work tool they need to take care of. If it were a gift you could do with it whatever you want. There needs to be a difference between this kind of thing and something that is a much more serious crime (domestic violence etc). So a suspension and maybe also a suspension of some future school issued material seems appropriate (since they seem not to be able to handle it).

Agree. This situation brought back to my mind a long-ago investments class. The lecture topic was selling stock short. The prof quoted someone who said "He who sells what isn't his'n must buy it back...or go to prison!". Maybe some sort of reimbursement mechanism should be placed on the offenders.

• Upvote 2

UNC screws over students athletes for over 18 years with fake classes....zero suspensions. Students sell gear that the school profited over? Intolerable, the worst of the worst, suspensions handed out like candy and some calling for these kids to be kicked off the team....for selling some damn t-shirts and sweatpants?! I guess the lesson here is don’t mess with money pot kids. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1