Walkon Benefits

GrayEagle

We had a recent post about COA benefits.  What are the benefits for a walk-on?

I assume that they get board.  After all, they need to follow a menu in order to be in shape and have a chance for a future scholarship.  It would be a shame if scholarship players were eating near the locker room and practice facilities and the walkon had to either leave campus to eat or do without.

What about room?  Do they get a room in Victory Hall or do they have to go elsewhere and pay their way?

I realize that they pay their own tuition and books.  At least, I believe that walk-ons pay for their books.

Lastly, can they receive any part of a COA adjustment?  If they are getting none of these benefits then I've got to admire even more the sacrifices they make in time and money to contribute to the sports program.  And for some, they're not even rewarded with a game appearance.

• Thanks 1

I don't think there is a standard.  I know a friend of mine was a walk on and was provided a meal plan and dorm room, everything else was on his own.  This was not at UNT, but a Power 5 school so I imagine things are different depending on where you go.  Knew another guy where everything was on his own dime, paid for meal plan and rent to eat and live with other athletes who weren't paying for the same thing.  Typically unless a walk-on is lucky enough to have parents/savings/loans that can provide almost everything for them they usually just can't make it.  Again neither of these examples were at UNT so I can't comment specifically about here, but it's a tough road. 

Edited by UNT18Grad
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Good discussion. My question is do the preferred walk-ons have to meet the same entrance requirements as regular students at UNT.  That can have a big impact on the level of walk on you can attract.

I've always been conflicted about entrance requirements and why they are in some cases significantly dipped for athletes. You can get in to X school, or you can't. There should be no gray area. IMO, simple as that. And for the very, very select few schools that have held to their academic standard, kudos to them. 

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I've always been conflicted about entrance requirements and why they are in some cases significantly dipped for athletes. You can get in to X school, or you can't. There should be no gray area. IMO, simple as that. And for the very, very select few schools that have held to their academic standard, kudos to them. 

I read that Tom Herman says it is difficult for them to land quality walk-ons at Texas because they require them to meet the academic standards of a regular student at UT and few can get in.  From my understanding it is up to the school to make that policy.

A walk-on gets nothing financially other than swag/pregame meals mentioned previously from the team.  They must pay for everything unless traveling with the team.

They must get a meal plan, but they can eat in the team dining hall.  Even if you only get books, you are considered on scholarship.  This mainly happens in Olympic sports.  Those sports have to divide a number of ships by the team.   Baseball now has a 25% minimum scholarship requirement for any funding.  I believe baseball gets 11.9 ships for a 29 man roster.  Men's golf has 4 scholarships that they must split between their roster.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Walk-ons.. You are responsible for everything just like a normal student. Besides game day meal, if you are scheduled to dress, you get two game tickets.   That's it.  Not even a jersey with your name on the back.  You will see lots of walk-ons survive a season or two but then have a realization that their time is more important studying than spending 6 to 8 hours a day being a tackle dummy.  Schools spend a lot of money on scholarships.  They are not going to give walk-ons a chance unless they are hidden gems.

I did it for four years at A&M.  I was lucky. I got to play on special teams quiet a bit.  But for the guys that didn't it was brutal getting the crap pounded out of you everyday and then not even get to dress on game days.  

In regards to athletes admissions?  Schools have different standards when it comes to athletes and normal students.  Let's take Rice for example.  A normal student is required to have something like a 28 or 29 SAT score.  A football player has to have a 19. Two points above the NCAA minimum of 17.  Same for Baylor.  Lots of schools stick with the NCAA minimum. 

• Thanks 3

18 hours ago, DT 90 said:

I did it for four years at A&M.  I was lucky. I got to play on special teams quiet a bit.  But for the guys that didn't it was brutal getting the crap pounded out of you everyday and then not even get to dress on game days.  

But at least you and the others tried and got the OPPORTUNITY to be a part of something very few get to do.  

I bet you and the others wouldn't trade the experience for anything?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Thanks 2

On 8/7/2018 at 10:07 AM, FirefightnRick said:

But at least you and the others tried and got the OPPORTUNITY to be a part of something very few get to do.  

I bet you and the others wouldn't trade the experience for anything?

Rick

Oh hell no..  Not for all the money in the world.     

12th Man Kick Off Team   

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1