Redshirt QB

Wag Tag

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

We are looking stacked at Qb! Seems like we would red shirt the freshman ?

I would assume so...

With the new red shirt rule....I would love to see some of the young guys get some reps.

All indications are Kason Martin is looking good so far. He may force himself onto the field at some point...

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2

Yes, the stable looks full now but situations change.

The new redshirt rule should enable that to happen generally but what if not playing a strong freshman causes him to transfer?  Not every quarterback is content to want to stay five years.  Especially a good one.  Game experience can be worth a lot.  

Mason Fine played as a true and I'm sure glad that he did.  If Kason Martin plays this coming season it would put him in line to be the backup in 2019.  If Kason doesn't play this year and Cade Pearson does then he's the heir apparent in 2020 due to experience.  I like Pearson's play but I don't know that he's the best quarterback behind Fine.

As long as we get one good quarterback every year then I hope that the coach has the option of putting his best two quarterbacks on the field.  Now that the third best quarterback can play in up to four games, give him an opportunity in blowout games.  In my opinion, there is no substitute for game experience.

• Thanks 1
  • Ray 2

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I know everyone wants to see Mason with video game numbers this year but I really hope if we're in the situation we get the backup(s) in the game. We need to have someone ready if the "worst-case" happens

Do we have anything like an Oline this year? 

Without Wilson making lifesaving blocks for Fine I am worried about Fine this year? I not seen any major reason to get excited about the Oline I hope I missed something. What are the thoughts? 

11 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Without Wilson making lifesaving blocks for Fine I am worried about Fine this year? I not seen any major reason to get excited about the Oline I hope I missed something. What are the thoughts? 

I think the biggest part of Nic Smith's transition to starter will be his blitz pickup. Wilson was second to none in this category and it's a underrated aspect of a RB's game in this offense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

I think the biggest part of Nic Smith's transition to starter will be his blitz pickup. Wilson was second to none in this category and it's a underrated aspect of a RB's game in this offense.

I'm thinking Wilson's abilities came with Tashard Choice's coaching. Hoping that Smith is as good a student.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I know everyone wants to see Mason with video game numbers this year but I really hope if we're in the situation we get the backup(s) in the game. We need to have someone ready if the "worst-case" happens

Absolutely. Shanbour and Pearson should get some game time in case  the worst-case scenario happens. From what I observed in the spring, Pearson looked good and Martin looked......raw.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Absolutely. Shanbour and Pearson should get some game time in case  the worst-case scenario happens. From what I observed in the spring, Pearson looked good and Martin looked......raw.

IMO, as I commented last year with Pearson unless a true Freshman is clearly the #2, I hope they redshirt him. 

• Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If we want recognition from a national perspective & possibly get some poll votes, Fine is going to have to put up video game numbers that force people to take notice.

Unfortunately, that means he’s gonna have to stay in from whistle to whistle.  Maybe he can come out in the 4th vs UIW or Liberty.

While I along with most others want to see the accolades and understand how vital Mason is, I would like to see us build the foundation that allows us to move forward (understandably not as strong) if one of your best players goes down, not in a situation where we self-destruct if our backups are not ready.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

18 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Much like the defense, skeptical until I see something else to allow me to believe otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

While I along with most others want to see the accolades and understand how vital Mason is, I would like to see us build the foundation that allows us to move forward (understandably not as strong) if one of your best players goes down, not in a situation where we self-destruct if our backups are not ready.

Maybe a killer year from Fine would be more beneficial to the foundation of the Program.

I suppose I'm not sure what is meant by some wanting to see more PT for the backup QBs.

Going into the 4th quarter against UIW at 49-14?  I think we can all agree that would be a time to rest Fine.
Midway through the 4th quarter against Rice at 42-21?   If Fine has already had a big day, I may be on board.  If no, it may be time for some RB swing passes to pad those stats.
Midway through the 4th quarter against USM at 30-24?  Absolutely not.

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Maybe a killer year from Fine would be more beneficial to the foundation of the Program.

I suppose I'm not sure what is meant by some wanting to see more PT for the backup QBs.

Going into the 4th quarter against UIW at 49-14?  I think we can all agree that would be a time to rest Fine.
Midway through the 4th quarter against Rice at 42-21?   If Fine has already had a big day, I may be on board.  If no, it may be time for some RB swing passes to pad those stats.
Midway through the 4th quarter against USM at 30-24?  Absolutely not.

Agree, we have to find that Fine line (pun absolutely intended) between getting Mason all the reps he deserves and having a backup who is ready if needed.