DRC: Highly regarded recruit Williams not with team (updated with story)

Brett Vito

OK, Williams was a "no-show". He was signed on the dotted line, so he won't show up on the field elsewhere this fall.  Question: What are the rules? Could he sit out a year and show up somewhere else? Or could he go JUCO and play this year? 

• Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

OK, Williams was a "no-show". He was signed on the dotted line, so he won't show up on the field elsewhere this fall.  Question: What are the rules? Could he sit out a year and show up somewhere else? Or could he go JUCO and play this year? 

I just did some research on the National Letter of Intent (NLI) rules. He can choose to go to a non-NLI school and participate. If he does go to another NLI school, he would be banned from playing any sports for a year. He would also have to be in residence at the new school for a year as well. He can practice and receive financial aid, but he would not be able to play and he loses a year of eligibility. So if he did that, the school would only get a max 3 years from him. Just so you know, the only Div I schools that do not participate in the NLI program are the Service Academies and the Ivy League schools. Based on that, I doubt he will end up somewhere else. He was a three star athlete. I doubt if any DIV I school is willing to lose a year of eligibility for a kid rated as a 3 star. The only maybe would be him going to Navy since they did offer and they are not an NLI institution. I really doubt if the kid has Navy or USMC aspirations. Most likely it is what jtm0097 said, he didn't qualify.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 2

5 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Williams left after attending only a few summer conditioning workouts. Apparently has some tough dynamics at home, and did not show up in the physical shape expected for student athletes at this level. 

That sucks. If this is true, it is best we found out now before he actually enrolled and we lost a scholarship on a kid that's going to have family issues and doesn't have the dedication to arrive in at least some type of shape. I do hope that he can get the family issues worked out for the best.

• Ray 1

If he did not qualify maybe he will be back after some work and maybe some growth, but it is better than him getting here and possibly falling out after he is counted on and the graduation success rate would take a hit. It seems like when every we have a high rated recruit there is weak link, grades or injury or work ethic etc.. It seems we do the best when it is a physical perceived issue where perhaps size  or lack of the player seems to really take that on. 

13 hours ago, Venson said:

That sucks. If this is true, it is best we found out now before he actually enrolled and we lost a scholarship on a kid that's going to have family issues and doesn't have the dedication to arrive in at least some type of shape. I do hope that he can get the family issues worked out for the best.

Once on campus he counts against your ship limit. Burned a ship 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

On 8/4/2018 at 8:15 PM, Venson said:

The only maybe would be him going to Navy since they did offer and they are not an NLI institution. I really doubt if the kid has Navy or USMC aspirations. Most likely it is what jtm0097 said, he didn't qualify.

I struggle to imagine that if he failed to qualify at North Texas that the Naval Academy would be an easier road to traverse. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1