Art Briles Lands New Job...

58 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Gee Art.  You are in charge of the football program, multiple players in said program get accused of sexual assault, you essentially do nothing, this mess goes all the way up through the BOR.  I don't think it is too difficult to understand.  Baylor is playing CYA and will throw everyone under the bus trying to avoid huge penalties.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

There has only been one defense raised that has any degree of plausibility and isn't just outright poor pitiful me. That came from the AD who got snatched up to be AD at Liberty.

He contends that the sexual assault problems and the lack of university effort to do anything were actually campus wide and the school tried to contain it within football to head off a deeper look at the overall problem.

Given that complaining witnesses were threatened with honor code violations for "causing" assaults I find it plausible that Baylor did in fact have a widespread problem and created an environment for it to flourish when word spread that filing a complaint would place you at risk of punishment.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

There has only been one defense raised that has any degree of plausibility and isn't just outright poor pitiful me. That came from the AD who got snatched up to be AD at Liberty.

He contends that the sexual assault problems and the lack of university effort to do anything were actually campus wide and the school tried to contain it within football to head off a deeper look at the overall problem.

Given that complaining witnesses were threatened with honor code violations for "causing" assaults I find it plausible that Baylor did in fact have a widespread problem and created an environment for it to flourish when word spread that filing a complaint would place you at risk of punishment.

Agree.
"Hey, look, the rapes and stuff were happening INSIDE THE HOUSE TOO!!!!!!  It wasn't just on the front porch where I was!!!"

Lock-tight defense right there.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

At the end of the day they were all at fault.  Baylor absolutely has/had a culture problem.  I haven't been around the school in a while, but what he's saying about the school's policies discouraging reporting of incidents is absolutely true.  That said, it's not a secret.  There have been stories of a double standard going around down there for decades.  One that I know was from the early aughts.  A member of the women's basketball team was kicked off the team and out of school after she became pregnant out of wedlock.  The very same year they had a fluff piece running in the men's basketball program touting how great a Dad one of the players was---to his kid he had out of wedlock that year.  This kind of stuff was a joke and these stories were numerous.

Someone should have done something sooner.  Briles, specifically, was absolutely in a position where, if he wanted to, he could have helped bring about that change.  Instead, he followed the status quo and now points fingers at everyone else.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1

8 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

At the end of the day they were all at fault.  Baylor absolutely has/had a culture problem.  I haven't been around the school in a while, but what he's saying about the school's policies discouraging reporting of incidents is absolutely true.  That said, it's not a secret.  There have been stories of a double standard going around down there for decades.  One that I know was from the early aughts.  A member of the women's basketball team was kicked off the team and out of school after she became pregnant out of wedlock.  The very same year they had a fluff piece running in the men's basketball program touting how great a Dad one of the players was---to his kid he had out of wedlock that year.  This kind of stuff was a joke and these stories were numerous.

Someone should have done something sooner.  Briles, specifically, was absolutely in a position where, if he wanted to, he could have helped bring about that change.  Instead, he followed the status quo and now points fingers at everyone else.

100% accurate.  My in-laws live in the area and the hypocrisy of Baylor is not lost on the residents of Waco.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

On 8/3/2018 at 3:42 PM, Arkstfan said:

Man I know longer understand the world around me.

Baylor has a player murdered and the coach tries to paint him as a drug dealer to explain all the improper benefits that will be found at his apartment. Then that coach gets a job coaching at a Christian high school.

Baylor doesn't just cover up sexual assaults, the school tells the victims that if they don't tell the truth they can't do anything and if they do tell the truth and it includes breaking the honor code the victims can be punished including expulsion. The AD involved get a job as AD at Christian school.

Baylor must be built on an Indian burial ground or they are experiencing the consequences of the soul sale to get in the Big XII but none of this crap makes any sense to me as to how it could even happen.

What about the entire NCAA Division 1 basketball  coaching fraternity, taking Coach K's lead in blackballing the assistant who brought "that coach" down:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/370071-former-baylor-assistant-abar-rouse-should-be-given-an-opportunity

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I think at times Baylor’s position in the Big 12 has been tenuous. They were very fortunate to get into the conference, it seems they will sacrifice their principles in order to stay. 

If there is one thing that faux religious schools like Baylor have been consistent on over the years, it is their willingness to sacrifice their principles when the need arises.