Mean Green Mania 8/18

Every time I see Mean Green Mania I think of my old college roommate who coined the phrase in 1968.  He did it for his advertising design campaign many years before Mustang Mania.  He was ahead of his time.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

where's the beer??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, THOR said:

where's the beer??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Find the blank door at the end of the hall. You will see a keypad, waist-high on the right. Key in this password..."cervezafria". The door will open and you can enter. Beer is in the fridge immediately on your right.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

Find the blank door at the end of the hall. You will see a keypad, waist-high on the right. Key in this password..."cervezafria". The door will open and you can enter. Beer is in the fridge immediately on your right.

giphy.gif

i love you....in a totally heterosexual way...

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

8 hours ago, THOR said:

Pre-Scrimmage Tailgate?

🙂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NT91 said:

Do you think was done on purpose?

My un-educated, wild-ass guess is that they want the guys to play on the surface and work in all of the pellets, or whatever they added to the base turf. By the time game day rolls around, they will clean it up and "groom" it some. JMO.

• Upvote 1

Kudos to the guy who gave me my tickets.  Asked for my last name, then knew my first name, where my seats were down to the row and seat number, and had me verify that everything was there and correct.  Big change on that front.  

The posters and various swag they had was great.  I particularly like the wrestling poster, and of course snagged myself a "The Drive" poster because that thing is epic.  Picked up a couple Beat SMU buttons for game day as well.  

I believe it's well known that I'm not a person who generally cares one way or the other about aesthetics (Hint: uniform talk), but I really thought the new turf looked bad. I couldn't see the state of Texas at all, and the end zones look like they were borrowed from the 1970s Oakland Athletics.  This could not possibly have been the look they were going for.  

I didn't stop to look.  Was the bar open today? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Kudos to the guy who gave me my tickets.  Asked for my last name, then knew my first name, where my seats were down to the row and seat number, and had me verify that everything was there and correct.  Big change on that front.

I had a similar experience last year with my first encounter with Mike Smith.

https://meangreensports.com/sports/2018/7/6/genrel-michael-smith-966250-html.aspx

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NT91 said:

Do you think was done on purpose?

Wren addressed it with a group of people I was around on the deck.

He said the original intent was to be something subtle akin to different shades of varnish on a basketball court. If they could have it over again he says the my would of would have done the state in a lighter shade.

He’s more concerned with the whole field settling in time for 9/1, however. The rain has thrown things off schedule. While most turf is raked twice a week to aerate the pellets in, Wren indicated our crews are doing it twice a day.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

While I was looking for the line with my last name initials,  Mike Smith called to me and handed me my tickets.  I thanked him and told Wren how impressed I was.  Wren seemed pleased.

The event was packed.  Lots of old friends and I met some new season ticket holders as well.  

One of the best Mean Green events I’ve been to.  I got one of those Cherokee GMG shirts also.  

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Yep.  It was Mike Smith.  I'd heard the name, but never had a face to put to it.  I was duly impressed. 

Mike is really good at what he does.   Note that he’s with the MGSF, not the ticketing office.  I think he must be a little like Rain Man memorizing the phone book when it comes to season tickets (and likely donor levels as well).   I asked him about it once and he said that he’s in the data so much that he just remembers this stuff.   Pretty amazing.  

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 2