Roster Update 7.30.18

GrayEagle

Most of the newcomers are known...notably Austin Aune, Daizion Carroll, Caleb Colvin and Jordan Redfearn.  Aune is a former highly rated quarterback from about six years back who has been playing professional baseball.  The latter three are scholarship athletes (at least I believe that Colvin is a blueshirt).  There are about another half-dozen walkons new to the roster since spring training

There have been two reductions to the roster that are noteworthy and a little shocking.

The first loss is Creighton Barr.  Creighton was a two-year starter at center before being replaced last year by Sosaia Mose.  Perhaps injury had dropped Barr's performance level.  He was listed as second string center after spring training.  The second loss is more shocking...Blake Patterson, our #1 punter, has left the squad.  He had improved during last year to a 41 yard average.  He will be missed.

Three others who have left the program are DB Warren Cotlong, WR Kerry Hall and DS Jake Davis.  Davis was expected to contend as the #1 deep snapper this fall.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 5

I don’t understand why an experienced player would come this far and then leave the team other than for a career ending injury.  Getting through the spring, 110 degree Texas heat and countless weight lifting sessions and quit with what promises to be a big payoff within 30 days.  

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

7 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

The second loss is more shocking...Blake Patterson, our #1 punter, has left the squad.  He had improved during last year to a 41 yard average.  He will be missed.

So does this mean we are stuck with Alvin “Shanks” Kenworthy? I hope we don’t have many 3 and outs this year or we will be playing a hell of a lot of red zone defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So does this mean we are stuck with Alvin “Shanks” Kenworthy? I hope we don’t have many 3 and outs this year or we will be playing a hell of a lot of red zone defense.

Not necessarily. There are two guys listed at K/P, so I'm sure there will be some competition from them. Not looking ideal though.

Also, I guess that means Dakota Newman is our backup C? Or maybe Pahinui

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I don't think so. Sure he improved throughout the year, but our punting was awful the first half of the season. 

Kenworthy was splitting time at punter early in the season before Patterson took over full time so Kenworthy may have contributed to the poor numbers early on last season.  I think Kenworthy averaged well under 40yds/P. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

Kenworthy was splitting time at punter early in the season before Patterson took over full time so Kenworthy may have contributed to the poor numbers early on last season.  I think Kenworthy averaged well under 40yds/P. 

PUNTING No. Yards Avg Long TB FC I20 50+ Blkd 

PATTERSON, B.  34 1398 41.1 68 2 12 13 5 0 

KENWORTHY, A.  18 663 36.8 51 0 7 7 1 0 

Total.......... 52 2061 39.6 68 2 19 20 6 0 

Kenworthy is still on the roster along with two players listed as K/P:

Ethan Mooney: http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ethan_mooney_1069551.html

Christian Cole: http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/christian_cole_1067093.html

Mooney has stats listed from high school for kicking only and Cole doesn't have any stats listed.

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Kenworthy is still on the roster along with two players listed as K/P:

Ethan Mooney: http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ethan_mooney_1069551.html

Christian Cole: http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/christian_cole_1067093.html

Mooney has stats listed from high school for kicking only and Cole doesn't have any stats listed.

I can speak to Cole as he is a friend of my son.  He played for WT White and then transferred to Shelton.  He has a big leg and is a very good kid from a good family.  I think his parents may have graduated from UNT and I know they have had Club seats and go to games.  Also, I believe his sister is the current student government president at UNT.   Will be pulling for him this season!

2 hours ago, outoftown said:

Ouch about Barr. Even if he got placed on second string...we can use all the O-line depth and experience we can get.

Smart young man who made great grades. He may have already graduated and decided to move on.  I wish him well and thank him for his time representing UNT. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Littrell said he had to quit due to a back injury. 

Saw that.  Hopefully it doesn't bother him for years.  Thanks for your time at UNT Mr. Barr.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2