COACH’S CARAVAN In DENTON 2018 in REVIEW

greenjoe

Is Tuesday the long awaited DENTON Coach’s Caravan ?  Please, someone, fill in the details. YIPPEE !!

By the way... Has this been promoted somewhere else and I have just missed it ?  I saw nothing in the Denton Record-chronicle.  How does John Q. Public know ?

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

Denton
Tuesday, July 31
6-8 p.m.
Armadillo Ale Works
221 S Bell Ave, Denton, TX 76201

Mean Green superfans young and old, don't miss the 2018 Coaches Caravans brought to you by the UNT Alumni Association and the Mean Green Scholarship Fund!

Get in the Mean Green spirit with a family-friendly celebration, then get the UNT Athletics inside scoop directly from Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker, coaches and players.  Staff, coaches and student athletes will mingle with the crowd to personally meet attendees and sign autographs. 

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

• Thanks 3

Huge turnout.  This is an old warehouse that has been converted into a really big bar.  Seth, Jalie, Quinn Shanbor, another FB player, other coaches and the entire Men’s BB team.  Sound system was awful.  Very hard to hear what was said and impossible to hear cute little cracks.  Again, crowd was packed in and this is a big venue.  

I hope this translates into a Apogee sellout September 1.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 3

It was very packed. I couldn’t hear much, but I enjoyed the event. Coach McCasland was very cool. I was talking the East Texas area with Coach Brown, The beer and venue were great. I plan on going to Armadillo Ale works again during the season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Huge turnout.  This is an old warehouse that has been converted into a really big bar.

Armadillo Ale Works is more a full-fledged brewery and taphouse than just a really big bar.

Sound system was awful.

Cringeworthy, even. Not sure why Athletics doesn't have its own portable system to deploy for these events.

Great event despite that though.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

Sound setup was bad.  The only speakers they had were stage monitors that they turned around, but they were still pointed up toward the ceiling.  I’m not sure there was actually anyone “running sound”.  When they were having feedback problems, there seemed to be a lot of looking around like no one knew what to do.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

Some there last night didn't seem interested in hearing what the coaches had to say.  And that's fine.  But perhaps the coaches could be in one room with fans that want to hear what's up and those than want to socialize could be somewhere else.  Someone pointed out to me on this board that having the Caravan at a local watering hole provided an opportunity for a Denton business to associate with the Mean Green.   But with a first class facility such as the Club at Apogee, tables and chairs already in place and a sound system that people can hear, I don't understand why we don't use the obvious.  I hope we're back at Apogee next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 4

16 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Huge turnout.  This is an old warehouse that has been converted into a really big bar.  Seth, Jalie, Quinn Shanbor, another FB player, other coaches and the entire Men’s BB team.  Sound system was awful.  Very hard to hear what was said and impossible to hear cute little cracks.  Again, crowd was packed in and this is a big venue.  

GO MEAN GREEN

Think my wife and I had tacos with you last night.  We ended up pushing as close to the front as possible but still couldn’t really make out everything they were saying. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, greenjoe said:

The AD always holds back a few Club level tickets for people they want to invite, and for club members to be able to buy extra tickets.

However, outside of those hold backs, I have heard the club level is sold out.  That is great news, those all require a gift to the stadium fund and a considerable donation to the MGC MGSF.  

7 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Some there last night didn't seem interested in hearing what the coaches had to say.  And that's fine.  But perhaps the coaches could be in one room with fans that want to hear what's up and those than want to socialize could be somewhere else.  Someone pointed out to me on this board that having the Caravan at a local watering hole provided an opportunity for a Denton business to associate with the Mean Green.   But with a first class facility such as the Club at Apogee, tables and chairs already in place and a sound system that people can hear, I don't understand why we don't use the obvious.  I hope we're back at Apogee next year.

Naw, I think it was great that it was Armadillo; just needed the sound situation shored up. I guarantee had everyone in that room been able to hear the coaches, there would not have been as much chatter around the bar. 

Having the final stop of what's billed a "Coaches Caravan" be at Apogee doesn't gel with me. It's implicitly supposed to be out in each of the stops' communities, including the hometown.

6 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I sampled some of Armadillo's beers and really enjoyed their "Session" flavor.  Good stuff.  And whoever did the catering had some great soft tacos as well.

Rick

Ooooh, that was all coming from Chef Andres across the parking lot in Boca 31. Rick, if you liked those tacos you should check out their Cuban sandwiches and empanadas. They're to die for.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, greenjoe said:

GO MEAN GREEN

Would have been easier for all to hear if the folks in the back would have been polite enough to STFU while all the coaches were talking.

Now..that being said, I was just happy they came...lame manners or not...the crowd was great and I saw lots of new and old Mean Green fans and GMG.Com-ers. It was tons of fun, and those actually wanting to hear the coaches just had to move up front a bit.

Loved the venue and the Boca catering. Just need to add speakers and to position the speakers a tad better so everyone could hear better.

Fun time with the Mean Green Nation. Now...BEAT SMU and fill Apogee!

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 6