SOMEONE HAD TO ASK ...

The way I remember, last I heard SL said he was on course to return for the seasons beginning (somewhere in a Vito week summary or somesutch). I take that with a grain of salt though, not thinking that he is about to be back to his old form

Edited by outoftown
  • Lovely Take 1

On 7/30/2018 at 12:56 PM, UNTLifer said:

I would rather our players use the English language as intended and not the slang crap that is used by most today.

Outside of just saying "day ones' it all seems quite english to me. But, I understood what he meant the first time.  Because I am hip. And cool. And 'with it' with the kids.

Decent english, English.  Except for the double negatives. Bryce, get your double negatives together! You aren’t not killing me!

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

I would rather our players use the English language as intended and not the slang crap that is used by most today.

I hear ya, but that's not realistic....

With social media being the main way 18-22 year olds communicate today...."slang crap" is what you're going to get. You might as well say " I would rather we not have any 18-22 year olds on our team.

And I don't want to bury the lead here.....He seems to be saying he feels good and is ready to play. As a Mean Green fan that excites me.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

You realize language is constantly evolving, right?

Internet has accelerated two things, IMO:

1) Evolution of informal language and slang
2) The blending of informal/formal

I personally don't mind new vocab/slang, but it wigs me out when structure is in question.  I think what Bryce is doing here that should be corrected is the double negative.

Last thought if anyone cares: write what you want but be mindful if you're trying to impress the right people.

EDIT: It's my understanding that more and more prospective employers are looking at your social media presence.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

Switching to physicality, I sincerely hope that his body is ready for the demands he is going to make on it. I expect the coaches to have a leash on him to some extent so that he doesn't overdo it in the first week and find himself re-injured. Bryce...we want to see you lined up on September 1 and thereafter. Please ease back into game shape.

200w.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Christopher Walker said:

You realize language is constantly evolving, right?

Into slang?

The point of my earlier post was that I hate it when players are interviewed on television and can barely put a sentence together.  I hope our players, when provided that opportunity, represent themselves and UNT in a professional manner.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 5

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Into slang?

The point of my earlier post was that I hate it when players are interviewed on television and can barely put a sentence together.  I hope our players, when provided that opportunity, represent themselves and UNT in a professional manner.

Let's worry about getting our players on TV first. This was twitter for Christ's sake. 

Now, I am not saying English is Shakespeare, but I find the irony awesome. Shakespeare "invented" - aka slang - 1700 words that we have continued to use over the years. 

http://shakespeare-online.com/biography/wordsinvented.html

Here is a book from 1886 laying out the words that Shakespeare only used once: https://archive.org/details/onceusedwordsins00butl

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2