McCarney was a very poor recruiter and relied primarily on Dodge's signees to win in his one good year.  

McCarney's talent level was going down after 2014 were Littrell's is going up this year.   

Plus Littrell is just a better coach than McCarney was in Denton.    McCarney's heath issues might have been a big factor, but he just was not up to the job.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Zero comparison.

Mac constantly trashed the previous coach and players.

Mac hated recruiting and even allowed his D.C. to skip recruiting altogether.

Not only has SL never trashed the previous coach...he's never flashed his national championship ring in our faces to brag about himself.  

Absolutely no comparison at all.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I look forward to the day when our past doesn't shape our perception of the program.

My concerns are based on last year.  If my math is right, we were only 14 points away from a 5-7 regular season last year.  I hope losing Jeffery Wilson and Trevor Moore doesn’t equate to a 14 point season swing in the wrong direction.   I just need to see more from their replacements.  I suppose you could say I’m letting the past shape my perception.  

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

My concerns are based on last year.  If my math is right, we were only 14 points away from a 5-7 regular season last year.  I hope losing Jeffery Wilson and Trevor More doesn’t equate to a 14 point season swing in the wrong direction.   I just need to see more from their replacements.  I suppose you could say I’m letting the past shape my perception.  

I think it's natural....(I do it too)

I'll just be glad when our program is to a point where we don't...

I think we're getting there.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

My concerns are based on last year.  If my math is right, we were only 14 points away from a 5-7 regular season last year.  I hope losing Jeffery Wilson and Trevor Moore doesn’t equate to a 14 point season swing in the wrong direction.   I just need to see more from their replacements.  I suppose you could say I’m letting the past shape my perception.  

Those guys were critical to the team last year, no question.  I think the hope is not just on their specific replacements, because I don't think a Trevor Moore is replaceable.  He's maybe the best kicker we'll ever see in Denton.  To me, the hope is on other areas of the team maturing and becoming strengths and the staff building around them, instead.  We were completely built around Wilson in 2016, and really mostly still last year.  You saw it emerging last year, but we've got more playmakers emerging on that side of the ball and I expect we'll be less focused on having a RB setup the passing game than we have been.

The offense is going to be good.  The big question to me is on defense.  We're not ever beating an FAU with what we fielded last year.  I don't care how good the offense is.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

NT lost two of their best and most valuable players in Moore and Wilson.   However, both the offense and defense should be better this year.  

The closeness of last year's games demonstrates to me that NT was a team that did what was necessary to win and did not quit.  FAU and Troy frankly were just much better teams than NT.   Wilson could have made those games closer, but not wins.

NT should be one of the best offensive teams in the country this year.  The defense will be improved, but how much is the question.   There are no guarantees in football, but I like NT's odds to be a significantly better team this year. 

• Upvote 2