Potential candiates to replace Larry Fedora at UNC?

Harry

North Carolina head coach Larry Fedora blew up ACC Media Day by saying the future of the United States of America hinges on football and questioning CTE research. Could, should and will North Carolina fire him? If so, what precedent would it set for other programs? And who could replace him as head coach in 2019? Seth Littrell, Neal Brown and Blake Anderson are among the possibilities.

Read more:  https://herosports.com/college-football/larry-fedora-north-carolina-fired-candidates-cte-ahah

A lot of these meat head coaches think a long these lines. Jim Harbaugh said similar things not that long ago. Harbaugh just articulated it much better. A lot of these guys are woven with the same fabric. UNC is just looking for a justifiable exit strategy out of a horrible, and I mean horrible contract. Granted that is if they do actually let him go right now for this. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

A lot of these meat head coaches think a long these lines. Jim Harbaugh said similar things not that long ago. Harbaugh just articulated it much better. A lot of these guys are woven with the same fabric. UNC is just looking for a justifiable exit strategy out of a horrible, and I mean horrible contract. Granted that is if they do actually let him go right now for this. 

I agree with this. 

• Upvote 1

No, he should not be fired for this.  Stupid-ass media always looking to make a story out of nothing.  OK, so he said a hot take on a big topic.  This is the same media that bitches & moans about boring "robot Garrett" pressers.  One thing about the media -- they always have to make a big deal about stuff like this to generate click bait.  That's my .02 cents ... we now return you to Wolf Blitzer in the "Situation Room".

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 3

I cannot see how this is a fireable offense. It is an opinion that is maybe held by a minority, but it is not exactly like he said something denigrating, racist, sexist or other "ist".

a) you can't blame a football coach for overestimating the cultural impact of football on the nation. Why else (other than money) would he do the job? He has to believe its important.

b) The thing on CTE may be a minority opinion, but where are we getting when voicing any minority opinion can get you fired? Well, media days sure are about to become even more boring. Besides that, the research on CTE is not as black and white as people say, for several reasons. The most important one is that changes to the game made in the last few years will take decades to really properly factor into the long-term studies necessary to understand the impact of changes made today. Beyond that, other than linemen, NFL players live longer on average than most males in the US. And you have to be allowed to say, that maybe the changes already effected may well be enough when people keep bringing up CTE in order to justify rule changes.

c) I get the feeling that this is primarily such a big story, because of how incredibly slow an off-season this has been even compared to most off-seasons, and sports media outlets are just reeeeeeaaaallly starved for controversy.

d) I think Ben is right, that this is only important if UNC is looking to save money on a buyout, but I don't think they will do this (I don't think the AD or president have reacted at all). It would be tough to pull off legally and be a problem in the next coaches negotiations.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

2 hours ago, outoftown said:

I cannot see how this is a fireable offense. It is an opinion that is maybe held by a minority, but it is not exactly like he said something denigrating, racist, sexist or other "ist".

a) you can't blame a football coach for overestimating the cultural impact of football on the nation. Why else (other than money) would he do the job? He has to believe its important.

b) The thing on CTE may be a minority opinion, but where are we getting when voicing any minority opinion can get you fired? Well, media days sure are about to become even more boring. Besides that, the research on CTE is not as black and white as people say, for several reasons. The most important one is that changes to the game made in the last few years will take decades to really properly factor into the long-term studies necessary to understand the impact of changes made today. Beyond that, other than linemen, NFL players live longer on average than most males in the US. And you have to be allowed to say, that maybe the changes already effected may well be enough when people keep bringing up CTE in order to justify rule changes.

c) I get the feeling that this is primarily such a big story, because of how incredibly slow an off-season this has been even compared to most off-seasons, and sports media outlets are just reeeeeeaaaallly starved for controversy.

d) I think Ben is right, that this is only important if UNC is looking to save money on a buyout, but I don't think they will do this (I don't think the AD or president have reacted at all). It would be tough to pull off legally and be a problem in the next coaches negotiations.

The AD came out with a statement the following day trying to save face in recruiting stating that Fedora didn't articulate his words right and he cares about the well being of players yada yada yada...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The AD came out with a statement the following day trying to save face in recruiting stating that Fedora didn't articulate his words right and he cares about the well being of players yada yada yada...

ok then, lets eat some popcorn and see where this goes. Have I mentioned that this has been the deadest offseason ever?

Edited by outoftown
  • Lovely Take 1