DRC: UNT close to finalizing extensions for McCasland, Mitchell

In terms of McCasland, I hope this just an extension which I'd see as reasonable, but not a  raise. He was ok to good this season, but he was already getting paid as if he is good. For a raise, I think we would need to see a second season on an upward trajectory.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 3
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, outoftown said:

In terms of McCasland, I hope this just an extension which I'd see as reasonable, but not a  raise. He was ok to good this season, but he was already getting paid as if he is good. For a raise, I think we would need to see a second season on an upward trajectory.

100.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 1

Honestly, under a previous administration, I'd worry this was premature (see McCarney) but I've come to really trust that Wren knows exactly what he's doing and has a long-term vision with each new development.

I'm definitely excited about the trajectory of both programs and the individuals at the helm

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2

Devil is in the details but I trust current admin. Many thought the extension of Littrell was premature. Reality is that these young coaches have buyouts that decline each year of the contracts (both ways). So extensions increase our liability if we had to fire them but also increase what it cost power 5 schools to come hire them. With Jalie, McCasland and Seth we have three young coaches that probably will draw attention. Hard to imagine any of the three getting fired in the next 2-3 years. I agree with WB and NS that the smart money is to keep rolling them over and keep the buyout for them to leave high. The probability of that is higher than the probability of having to pay out their salary because we fired them. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, meangreenJW said:

Devil is in the details but I trust current admin. Many thought the extension of Littrell was premature. Reality is that these young coaches have buyouts that decline each year of the contracts (both ways). So extensions increase our liability if we had to fire them but also increase what it cost power 5 schools to come hire them. With Jalie, McCasland and Seth we have three young coaches that probably will draw attention. Hard to imagine any of the three getting fired in the next 2-3 years. I agree with WB and NS that the smart money is to keep rolling them over and keep the buyout for them to leave high. The probability of that is higher than the probability of having to pay out their salary because we fired them. 

For some of these same reasons, I never really understood McCarney extension. At his age and health, this was highly likely to be his last stop. Reward him with a modest extension but what we did was more like you'd do with someone you were really concerned would leave. Perhaps someone had called on him. Maybe he had Jimmy Sexton as an agent. But I never really understood a contract that was near the top of CUSA at the time.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

For some of these same reasons, I never really understood McCarney extension. At his age and health, this was highly likely to be his last stop. Reward him with a modest extension but what we did was more like you'd do with someone you were really concerned would leave. Perhaps someone had called on him. Maybe he had Jimmy Sexton as an agent. But I never really understood a contract that was near the top of CUSA at the time.

Well he had just won a bowl game.  As I recall there was also concern about keeping the assistants.  In hindsight it was a BIG mistake.