Question about 1988 UNT vs UT?

52 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Was it not Dale Hansen who for along while used tape of the last fake TD for footage when talking about UT football....UT didn't appreciate it.

Possibly?  The next night on Sunday night on his show Dale showed the highlights and made it a huge point to show the bias in the game.  Of course, immediately after the game several of us met the team on 6th street and the first bar we went into had the news on and the local Austin affiliate did basically the same thing.

Everyone who was there knows who should have won that game.  In fact, we played Texas again in 1991 and that morning's AAS sports page had a large write up about it on the front page with interviews of players and coaches from both teams discussing the controversy.

Rick 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

Yep, I was there and viewing the replay of that game today still make me SICK!  I sat basically on the opposite end zone and I could clearly see the game ending TD was not a catch.  The UT fans around me were astonished by the ref calls.  I remember the '88 team beat Texas Tech and Rice both SW Conference teams that year.  As bad as losing to Texas was that year, losing to Marshall 7-0 in the 1st round of NCAA playoffs hurt even more.   The '88 team was one heck of a team.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

I was a freshman at UNT that year and that was my first college road trip.  Everyone's hit the nail on the head about what a con job the refs pulled in that game but one thing that I thought was pretty funny -- as we did our long slow drive back from Austin to Denton on Sunday we passed a car on I-35 with the following scrawled in shoe polish on their back window:  "UNT 24  Refs 14 Texas 13".  Thought that pretty much was spot on!  haha

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I still say the game with Ramsey to Shanklin @ Fayetteville was even more obvious bias officiating. Chuck Dicus of ARK (and a Garland Owl) was covering Shanklin that night. He told Ron years later that from his perspective as the covering DB that two touchdowns were definitely taken away by the refs. Two years later after I had begun work for a national CPA firm after graduation. I worked on two audits in Ark. People at those companies still remembered the game and were quick to praise Ramsey to Shanklin as the best QB to receiver combo that they had seen @ Razorback Stadium in years.

I was at the game in Austin in 1988. It was my freshman year and first road game.  We won that game.  There is no doubt in my mind.  It still makes me sick!  As others have mentioned that were at the game, our fans were very upset.  Most of the UT fans sitting around us made remarks during the game about the one sided officiating.  The one I remember most was "It's a good thing we're playing at home.  We wouldn't be getting these calls in Denton."  Several remarked after the game that we were robbed.  Many were complimentary of the team.  I can't say how many fans were there.  But, there was a lot of green in the stands and it was very loud.  

• Upvote 1