C-USA Media Days: Can the Lane Train be derailed in 2018?

FRISCO, Texas – It only took one season, but Lane Kiffin changed the dynamic of Conference USA.

The Florida Atlantic head coach enters his second year at the helm in Boca Raton as the reigning conference champion, the first for the program. Those surrounding the 14-team league expected Kiffin to have an immediate impact, but no one could’ve imagined the Owls going undefeated in C-USA play en route to winning the title.

“I don’t think we surprised ourselves, I think we surprised everybody else,” Kiffin told media members Thursday on the second day of Conference USA Media Days at The Star. “Maybe the players were surprised. When we took the job, we knew there was some good players there and we’d have a chance to do something special.”

Special mildly describes what FAU pulled off for the first year of the Kiffin era. The Owls ran roughshod through the league and in all but one game, a five-point win against Marshall at home, it wasn’t even close. On average, FAU defeated C-USA competition by 22 points and scored north of 30 points in all nine contests, including the 41-17 mauling of Western Division champ North Texas in the title game.

read more:  https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/louisiana-tech/2018/07/19/conference-usa-media-days-who-can-stop-lane-kiffin-and-fau/801883002/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

If we put together an all-time ranking of top CUSA HCs, where would Kiffindorf rank?

If you ask any media outlet, Kiffin is the only HC in CUSA. The rest of us are all coached on a rotating schedule of what players dad is available that week and can also bring the orange slices. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, SAGreenFan said:

If you ask any media outlet, Kiffin is the only HC in CUSA. The rest of us are all coached on a rotating schedule of what players dad is available that week and can also bring the orange slices. 

Lane Kiffin is a great get for the FAU and the conference.  It is obvious he inherited some great athletes from Charlie Partridge.  I didn't know about Coach Partridge so I looked him up.  It appears he was one of the better recruiters of the state of Florida.  Was he fired too soon?  3 years of losing records but his recruiting efforts were about to pay off.  Did FAU bail on him because Kiffin was available?  Would Partridge and his staff get the most out of the 2017 team as Kiffin did?  Obviously Kiffin and his staff did get the most out of them.  They were and still are loaded with talent.  I hated getting stomped by FAU but they are a fun team to watch.  They are a legit top 35-50 program in the country and could be ranked higher at the end of the season.  This is good for the conference and we need more teams like this in the conference.  I will root for FAU (And all CUSA teams out of conference games) every game except ours.  It will make beating them that much better.

I don't know if they can beat Oklahoma but I am confident they will give them one heck of a game to open the season.  The line has already moved from 24 to 21.  FAU might be a good bet to cover.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Partridge

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1