C-USA 2018 Preseason All Conference Teams

Harry

Link:  http://conferenceusa.com/news/2018/7/16/football-fb-2018-preseason-awards.aspx

FB: 2018 Preseason Awards

A trio of standouts headline the list of 2018 preseason Conference USA Football award winners, as chosen by the league’s 14 head coaches.  Florida Atlantic junior RB Devin Singletary was selected as the C-USA Offensive Player of the Year, Florida Atlantic senior LB Azeez Al-Shaair was tabbed the Defensive Player of the Year, while Southern Miss senior K Parker Shaunfield earned Special Teams Player of the Year honors.

2018_Preseason_Awards

"Motor" Singletary was named C-USA Most Valuable Player last season after scoring a nation-leading 32 rushing touchdowns last season (nine more than any other player) and 33 total TDs (five more than any other player).  He scored more rushing touchdowns last year (32) than previous school career record-holder Alfred Morris had in four years from 2008-11 (27).  Singletary also topped 100 yards in each of the final 11 games of the season for the Owls.  Both the rushing TD’s and total TD’s are new C-USA records in those categories, breaking records held by UCF RB Kevin Smith, now his running backs coach. Singletary finished fifth nationally with 1,920 rushing yards and FAU was sixth nationally in rushing at 285.9 yards per game.

Al-Shaair was a first team All-Conference USA selection in 2017 after he set a new Florida Atlantic single-season record with 147 tackles.  He posted nine games with double-digit stops and also helped the defense with 11 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, four passes defended and one forced fumble.  Al-Shaair already holds the schools’ career tackles mark with 354.

Shaunfield converted the first 89 extra-point attempts to start his career (a school record) and is now 104-for-106 all-time as a Golden Eagle.  The first team All-C-USA performer converted 17-of-20 field goals last season, including 15 in a row at one point.  Shaunfield was a semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award in 2017.

Defending conference champion Florida Atlantic had the most overall preseason selections with six, while Marshall produced five and Louisiana Tech and Middle Tennessee each had players comprising four spots.  Eight schools had multiple players named to the squad.

The league’s 23rd football season begins on Thursday, August 30.  The 14th annual Conference USA Football Championship Game, pitting the champions of the East and West Divisions, will be held Saturday, Dec. 1. 

The C-USA Media Poll (Predicted Order of Finish) will be released on Tuesday.

2018 C-USA FOOTBALL COACHES PRESEASON AWARDS

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Devin Singletary, Jr., RB, Florida Atlantic

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Azeez Al-Shaair, Sr., LB, Florida Atlantic

SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Parker Shaunfield, Sr., K, Southern Miss

OFFENSE
QB         Mason Fine, Jr., North Texas
QB         Brent Stockstill, Sr., Middle Tennessee
RB          Spencer Brown, So., UAB
RB          Devin Singletary, Jr., Florida Atlantic
OL          Reggie Bain, Sr., Florida Atlantic
OL          Chandler Brewer, Sr., Middle Tennessee
OL          Jordan Budwig, Sr., FIU
OL          Levi Brown, Jr., Marshall
OL          O’Shea Dugas, Sr., Louisiana Tech
TE          Harrison Bryant, Jr., Florida Atlantic
WR         Tyre Brady, Sr., Marshall
WR         Jalen Guyton, Sr., North Texas
WR         Ty Lee, Jr., Middle Tennessee
WR         Teddy Veal, Sr., Louisiana Tech

DEFENSE
DL          Jaylon Ferguson, So., Louisiana Tech
DL          Fermin Silva, Sr., FIU
DL          Kevin Strong, Jr., Sr., UTSA
DL          Oshane Ximines, Jr., Old Dominion
LB          Azeez Al-Shaair, Sr., Florida Atlantic
LB          Khalil Brooks, Jr., Middle Tennessee
LB          Chase Hancock, Sr., Marshall
LB          Josiah Tauaefa, Jr., UTSA
DB          Ben DeLuca, Jr., Charlotte
DB          Malik Gant, Jr., Marshall
DB          Shelton Lewis, Sr., Florida Atlantic
DB          Amik Robertson, So., Louisiana Tech
DB          Jalen Young, Sr., Florida Atlantic

SPECIAL TEAMS
K            Parker Shaunfield, Sr., Southern Miss
P            Jack Fox, Sr., Rice
KR          Isaiah Harper, Sr., Old Dominion
PR          Darrell Brown, Jr., Old Dominion
LS          Matt Beardall, Jr., Marshall

I often hate to see these lists because there always seems to be a player or two that gets shafted.  In this case it was one of our own...E J Ejiya.

E. J. should have been the number 2 or 3 linebacker on the list.  He was third in several categories of the returning players from last year.  One of the four, Tauefua, only played in 8 games.  

I guess the only consolation is that it is preseason.  I hope that Ejiya leaves no doubt that he belongs on the all-conference list when this season ends.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I see the listing as a reflection from C-USA that we remain sort of a flash in the pan type of program.  I just don’t think the FAU’s and La. Tech’s of the world see us as a long term threat in term of the  upper tier of the conference.  

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I see the listing as a reflection from C-USA that we remain sort of a flash in the pan type of program.  I just don’t think the FAU’s and La. Tech’s of the world see us as a long term threat in term of the  upper tier of the conference.  

There's a few La Tech fans on the CUSA board that doesn't see any team as long term competition in CUSA.   I think most fans on that board see us as competition as long as Littrell and Fine are here. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

There's a few La Tech fans on the CUSA board that doesn't see any team as long term competition in CUSA.   I think most fans on that board see us as competition as long as Littrell and Fine are here. 

I admire what La Tech has accomplished on a-bang-for-the-buck-basis.   However, some of their entitled fans puzzle me. 

The future should be that NT dominates La Tech.   Nearly every metric other than history favors NT. 

This will be laughed at by many La Tech fans, but I think I see a little apprehension creeping into their view of La Tech's football future.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4

On 7/16/2018 at 5:08 PM, GrandGreen said:

I admire what La Tech has accomplished on a-bang-for-the-buck-basis.   However, some of their entitled fans puzzle me. 

The future should be that NT dominates La Tech.   Nearly every metric other than history favors NT. 

This will be laughed at by many La Tech fans, but I think I see a little apprehension creeping into their view of La Tech's football future.   

If only some of those fans came on this website & spewed a bunch of nonsense trash talk, we’d have a “rivalry” with them.

• Upvote 2