Recruiting Ratings for Offensive Line

GrayEagle

Just when I was beginning to have some confidence in the recruiting ratings, I began to scrutinize the figures assigned to our offensive line.  Either we recruited some very mediocre linemen or the rating gurus don't give o-linemen any respect.

Our only 3-star lineman is the former starting center Creighton Barr.  He checked in at .8080.

There was only one .79; former starting tackle Jordan Murray at .7905.

Three were given marks in the .78s:  newcomer Daizion Carroll leads with .7892.  Backup backup center Dakoda Newman comes in next at .7824 and Cole Brown follows at .7803.

The largest group given ratings were the .77s.  Jacob Brammer was rated at .7790; Chandler Anthony .7750; Brian Parish .7709; followed by projected starters Thomas Preston III and Sosaia Mose at .7700.

Two in the .76s were Jordan Redfearn and projected starter Manase Mose.  Redfearn was rated .7691 and Mose .7642.

In the last rated group were Jevin Pahunui at .7483 and arguably our best lineman...Elex Woodworth received a rating of .7481.

The three remaining all transferred from a four year institution and thus did not receive a rating.  One was the remaining starter Riley Mayfield and squadmen Ted Fausak and Chad Hickson.

Edit:  I inadvertantly left off Brendon Weatherspoon from the list.  I found that he was given a rating of .7750...the same as Chandler Anthony and about the middle of the pack.  That, in fact, is better than the average of the starters (.7631).

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Just when I was beginning to have some confidence in the recruiting ratings, I began to scrutinize the figures assigned to our offensive line.  Either we recruited some very mediocre linemen or the rating gurus don't give o-linemen any respect.

Our only 3-star lineman is the former starting center Creighton Barr.  He checked in at .8080.

There was only one .79; former starting tackle Jordan Murray at .7905.

Three were given marks in the .78s:  newcomer Daizion Carroll leads with .7892.  Backup backup center Dakoda Newman comes in next at .7824 and Cole Brown follows at .7803.

The largest group given ratings were the .77s.  Jacob Brammer was rated at .7790; Chandler Anthony .7750; Brian Parish .7709; followed by projected starters Thomas Preston III and Sosaia Mose at .7700.

Two in the .76s were Jordan Redfearn and projected starter Manase Mose.  Redfearn was rated .7691 and Mose .7642.

In the last rated group were Jevin Pahunui at .7483 and arguably our best lineman...Elex Woodworth received a rating of .7481.

The three remaining all transferred from a four year institution and thus did not receive a rating.  One was the remaining starter Riley Mayfield and squadmen Ted Fausak and Chad Hickson.

Edit:  I inadvertantly left off Brendon Weatherspoon from the list.  I found that he was given a rating of .7750...the same as Chandler Anthony and about the middle of the pack.  That, in fact, is better than the average of the starters (.7631).

Well considering how many times Fine gets hit this a seems right so far. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, H-towngreen said:

What has our O-line ever done or shown to make anyone think they should’ve been 3*? 

It seems to me that the other positions have a decent amount of 3* or near 3* athletes.  For those that don't (or didn't) we have been able to recruit better talent or the ratings didn't match the talent.  In other words we've been able to find those athletes that were underrated.  

For example, look at quarterback.  Mason Fine was a less than average recruit (.7743) who was sadly underrated and has blossomed beyond all expectations.  That's been true for nearly all positions.  Jeff Wilson didn't turn any heads but he was very successful.  Kelvin Smith at tight end didn't get much attention but I believe that he has done a more than acceptable job.  The same has been true for virtually every position except the offensive line.  For some reason, we weren't able to get any 3* recruits  on the o-line and none of the other recruits have blossomed to acceptability although I'm hoping that Manase Mose breaks the trend.  

Was it the coaching, the coaching evaluation, or the recruiting?  Whatever it was it doesn't appear to be working. 

• Upvote 1

I think that getting ratings right is probably harder for the O-line than pretty much any other position. Given that O-linemen don't collect any stats and one does not always know what their exact assignment on a given play is, given that opposition quality usually differs more on the lines than any other position between different high school classifications, I feel size and high school of origin is never more overvalued in the rankings than there. And yet it is obvious do you do need size at that position.

That said, there really is not much to argue that UNT recruited all that great at OL the past seasons.

p.s.might it be that overall, there are less highly rated OLs than there should be given how every team is starting 5 each game?

• Upvote 2

O-Line is the hardest position to recruit. Most of the "projected proven" are snapped up by P5 school's. At least the successful P5 school's. All the G5 school's have a harder time with O-Line and D-Line for that matter. So, it all comes down to winning record, coach's evaluation, then O-Line/D-Line skill's teaching technique. It's hard to find big boy's/men with foot speed, quickness at O/D line position, with size, and agility. After that they need to stay healthy ie knee injury and to lesser extent broken foot. I'm sure Mr. English can comment on that given the chance.

When I was at NTSU one of my good friends was an offensive lineman recruited from Newman Smith. My friend was a stud recruit as a jr. at Newman Smith. He tore his ACL and had to have surgery. His recruiting value dropped per surgery and came to NTSU/UNT. Had he not torn his ACL there's was no way he'd end up at UNT. He would have played somewhere in the SWC for sure!!!

I wonder how many are apparently coming to the conclusion, that NT hasn't recruited any good offensive linemen.  It is almost impossible to rate an individual linemen without a lot of game film study.  A team could have a great offensive lineman and if the total line is sub-par few would know it.  

The facts are that NT's last year offensive stats were very good and that could not have been done without an effective line.  

No, I don't think the OL is a strength for NT, however they are much better than you would think from reading the above.  

They may not be rated highly, but I trust this staff will get it right and get what we need regardless of how many stars they have. Murray was recruited by Mac and he has more stars than Woodworth, but he is not hardly as good as Elex is. Long story short, trust the SL process. We are seeing results on the field and in a short time. As long as they continue to win, I wouldn't give a damn if they were rated zero stars.

• Upvote 4