10 GUYS WHO COULD COACH THE RED RAIDERS IN 2019

Cerebus

10 GUYS WHO COULD COACH THE RED RAIDERS IN 2019

Seth Littrell
Current Job: North Texas HC
The candidate from outside of the program that makes the most sense for me is Seth Littrell.

---

I made the note in last years write up on the same subject that Littrell might also bring his coaching staff with him to Lubbock, which includes offensive coordinator Graham Harrell and Joel Filani as the outside receivers coach.

That, and previous stories like it, is a VERY tough read! Every time I see an article like that, I want to ignore it...but I can't.  A song starts to play in my head and I am reminded of the words of the immortal Etta James..."I would rather go blind, boy, than to watch you walk away from me."  😞

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2

IMHO, Seth Littrell will not be leaving North Texas for some other gig, especially

a dump like Tx Tech.

Here are my thoughts.

Some people are forgetting Home Boy is the HFC at Tech. Home Boy shows any

improvement he will stay another year or longer. All the sports talking heads are trying to come up with news stories daily stating Seth Littrell will not staying at North Texas which is their big news. I have seen the same story probably 50,000 times, this year alone!

Towards the end of the season, the same crap story will feed the sports talking heads with more fodder for their sports reporting.

Seth Littrell has what all coaches want - an administration that

supports all athletic programs, the University President that supports the coaches and their work, and a AD that is developing all North Texas athletics!

Salary is not always the number on factor. Look at Frank Solich at Ohio-  he is still working at Ohio and has a great team every year. Solich has turned down better offers. Solich likes where he is at!

I believe Seth Littrell likes where he is at, and likes what he is doing for North Texas.

Seth Littrell will  be at North Texas for a long time to come!

So stop with the speculation that Littrell will leave North Texas.

Littrell knows what he is doing and he can see that North Texas is a very good gig to have!

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

IMHO, Seth Littrell will not be leaving North Texas for some other gig, especially

a dump like Tx Tech.

Here are my thoughts.

improvement he will stay another year or longer. All the sports talking heads are trying to come up with news stories daily stating Seth Littrell will not staying at North Texas which is their big news. I have seen the same story probably 50,000 times, this year alone!

Towards the end of the season, the same crap story will feed the sports talking heads with more fodder for their sports reporting.

supports all athletic programs, the University President that supports the coaches and their work, and a AD that is developing all North Texas athletics!

Salary is not always the number on factor. Look at Frank Solich at Ohio-  he is still working at Ohio and has a great team every year. Solich has turned down better offers. Solich likes where he is at!

I believe Seth Littrell likes where he is at, and likes what he is doing for North Texas.

Littrell knows what he is doing and he can see that North Texas is a very good gig to have!

I certainly hope that you are right. My only concern with the Solich analogy is that Solich did coach at Nebraska when they were in the Big 12 right after Tom Osborne retired so he has tried his hand in the P5. Littrell has yet to be a HFC at the P5 level, I just often think that maybe in the back of his mind, he wants to prove he can win at the highest level of college football. You are right when you say it is not all about money, but most of these guys have big egos and that is what drives them to prove that they can win at the highest level. Otherwise, college coaches would not jump ship to the NFL when they are making just as much or more money at the collegiate level. They go to the NFL to prove they can win at the elite level. If they fail, they run back to college. Nick Saban, Chip Kelly, Steve Spurrier, and Bobby Petrino come to mind.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Venson said:

I certainly hope that you are right. My only concern with the Solich analogy is that Solich did coach at Nebraska when they were in the Big 12 right after Tom Osborne retired so he has tried his hand in the P5. Littrell has yet to be a HFC at the P5 level, I just often think that maybe in the back of his mind, he wants to prove he can win at the highest level of college football. You are right when you say it is not all about money, but most of these guys have big egos and that is what drives them to prove that they can win at the highest level. Otherwise, college coaches would not jump ship to the NFL when they are making just as much or more money at the collegiate level. They go to the NFL to prove they can win at the elite level. If they fail, they run back to college. Nick Saban, Chip Kelly, Steve Spurrier, and Bobby Petrino come to mind.

Hopefully Littrell can take UNT to the highest level and accomplish both.  Just keep winning.  Be the Gary Patterson of UNT.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Hopefully Littrell can take UNT to the highest level and accomplish both.  Just keep winning.  Be the Gary Patterson of UNT.  

That would be ideal. If we can bring both basketball programs up because Soccer is already there, then maybe the Big 12 makes us an offer and cans that mess down in Waco. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Harry said:

I think I will be a Troy fan this season!

I think that is the way to go. However, if the right job(s) opens up, I think you might have to root for more than one other school. I don't think T-Tech is the right job.

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

My two cents.....he'll wait for one of the two Oklahoma jobs to open up. Why drag your family to west Texas. Hopefully, he has his ego in check.

Agree. Its that or an SEC or super high profile ACC job (Miami, FSU, Clemson, with the only likely one to possibly open and him taking it being North Carolina, but don't think he'd take that either). Beyond that I think he will stay another year or two to build his resume while enjoying being close to home and taking advantage of the improved recruiting. UNT DID do what is UNTs power to make this a nice place for him. If he leaves, there oughta be no regrets.

Overall, reading the article I also think that Tech fans slightly overestimate their schools place in the college football universe. For example, Sonny Dikes is on there just behind Littrell. I doubt they could poach SMUs coach after just one season.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Graham next head coach?

In Tech's case, as hinted in the article, they will want him and Filani as well. And they are probably not the only school that would want the whole package, thereby gutting us and bombing us back to the Stone Age.

• Upvote 1

While we all hope Seth will stay for a long time the reality of the "business" is that coaches move on in many cases. If he does I would hate it, but be thankful to him for answering the question "Why not NT"?

I am confident that Wren will have his "list" ready and if it's in the cards have one of the current assistants ready to step in.

• Upvote 2

What does all this speculation do.?  Anyone who follows college football knows that almost any coach can be hired away.   Successful coaches are eventually going to be a target and most at all but the premium power programs will be hired away.

That is the probability, unless you are extremely wealthy and want to throw in a few million to keep a coach than there is little you can do. 

Everyone should know that reality and obsessing about it from the day a coach is hired serves no purpose. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

What does all this speculation do.?  Anyone who follows college football knows that almost any coach can be hired away.   Successful coaches are eventually going to be a target and most at all but the premium power programs will be hired away.

That is the probability, unless you are extremely wealthy and want to throw in a few million to keep a coach than there is little you can do. 

Everyone should know that reality and obsessing about it from the day a coach is hired serves no purpose. 

We got a good thing going here @GrandGreen

We are winning games, recruiting battles.  For the first time that I can recall we are holding our own with the Tulsa’s of the world.  Not yet handling SMU but certainly making inroads there.  This is not just a one year blip like we saw under Danny Mac in 2013.

I think the fan base would like to lock into the current situation for as long as we are able.  We are realists, we know it won’t last for ever.  But every year that we can keep this staff in place is a better year for our program.

With the Tennessee news that came out in the spring, he is not about dropping his anchor in Denton. He and/or his agent are obviously working with one ear to the ground. If he leaves, next man up. If he stays, great. But quit getting blown out. 

I know SL has moved the needle in a timely manner, but 14-13 is still 14-13. And the record isn't all that ugly considering what he inherited, but the style of many of those 13 losses is. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 5

On 7/15/2018 at 8:25 AM, wardly said:

Texas Tech is a good job that pays well, with fan and university support. If offered Littrell should take it.

Hopefully Seth’s family are becoming accustomed to the many things there are to do in the DFW metroplex and remember (at least his wife) what it’s like living in Lubbock.   

giphy.gif

• Lovely Take 1

Seth has obviously exceeded many expectations and I would hate to see him go but I think Graham is the big picture here. Seth leaving is logical if he has another great season and at that point we need to do everything to keep Graham or I think we lose most of this recruiting class. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/15/2018 at 11:07 PM, Ben Gooding said:

With the Tennessee news that came out in the spring, he is not about dropping his anchor in Denton. He and/or his agent are obviously working with one ear to the ground. If he leaves, next man up. If he stays, great. 

Wasn’t there a story out that he turned down one P5 interview?

So yes, there are probably only 20 coaches in the country that would turn down an opportunity at a Tennessee. But Littrell has said (you can say it’s coach speech, maybe it is, maybe it’s not) he loves it here, this place “can be a monster,” if anyone thinks he wants to leave “they don’t know me”

Point being, maybe it would take a top 20-30 job to pull him away. Maybe he’ll take a million a year to stay here, close to home, building a program into “a monster.” I’m not convinced that the first P5 job that comes up, he’ll jump at. 

If that’s the case, it may take 3 or 4 more years of consistent 9, 10 win seasons to get that Top tier offer. Maybe get NY6 Bowl mentions....

And if that’s the case. Imagine what kind of position we’ll be in IF he leaves. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

On 7/14/2018 at 11:48 PM, Charlie NT 73 said:

a dump like Tx Tech.

Here are my thoughts.

When Harry Met Sally GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

But Littrell has said (you can say it’s coach speech, maybe it is, maybe it’s not) he loves it here, this place “can be a monster,” if anyone thinks he wants to leave “they don’t know me”

Tom Herman: ""If you want to win championships and you want to win New Year's Six bowl games and win 13 games and kiss trophies … you can certainly do it at one of the finest institutions in the country and … the greatest city in America"

Art Briles: "still proud to be a Houston Cougar."  11/27/2007

"Art Briles on Wednesday accepted the position as head coach at Baylor," 11/29/2007

Not saying it will happen to you, but if it does, don't be surprised.

And regarding waiting, sometimes they go when jobs are opening up.  

Sometimes they go when you think a decline us coming.  Sumlin leaves when Keenum is leaving (5-7 the year before when Keenum is hurt).  Herman leaves when Greg Ward is leaving (no lined up QB star ready for the next season).  Since Fine isn't a Sr, that might bode well for another year

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, NTXCoog said:

Tom Herman: ""If you want to win championships and you want to win New Year's Six bowl games and win 13 games and kiss trophies … you can certainly do it at one of the finest institutions in the country and … the greatest city in America"

Art Briles: "still proud to be a Houston Cougar."  11/27/2007

"Art Briles on Wednesday accepted the position as head coach at Baylor," 11/29/2007

Not saying it will happen to you, but if it does, don't be surprised.

And regarding waiting, sometimes they go when jobs are opening up.  

Sometimes they go when you think a decline us coming.  Sumlin leaves when Keenum is leaving (5-7 the year before when Keenum is hurt).  Herman leaves when Greg Ward is leaving (no lined up QB star ready for the next season).  Since Fine isn't a Sr, that might bode well for another year

I won’t be surprised. 

But again, there aren’t too many coaches that would turn down a UT job. And I would argue Briles got to stay close to home while moving up. (Assuming that was important?) TTech is a wildcard here.....it’s a Big 12 gig in Texas and he has experience there. I would say OU is probably his dream job but it looks like they’re set for a while. OSU would maybe be a possibility (although I don’t know why everyone says Gundy is on the hot seat.) 

I don’t know if staying close tonfamily is as important as it seems to Littrell. History has shown that “close to home” is probably a little overrated when it comes to coaching moves or free agents, etc. So History says the odds are certainly against Littrell staying if he continues his success. But every individual is different in what they want. I think at the very least it would take a top tier job or a P5 close to this area. For example, I don’t think he would jump at a Kansas type situation just to move up.

My point is, if that ideal situation is not available yet (top tier P5, close P5) I could see him waiting it out here.