• Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
Mean Green 93-98

How one 'ridiculous' tactic took over college football recruiting

It seems insane that the NCAA still doesn't regulate this.

These days, the trend of offering college scholarships to prospects early in high school and still in junior high is trending toward normal.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/one-ridiculous-trend-took-college-football-recruiting-023913463.html

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

My daughter is about to be a sophomore in high school and college coaches can't talk to her until September 1 of their junior year.  The only exception is to invite kids to summer camps or gather information.  It seems this would be an easy rule to add for football. 

Edit:  I failed to mention my daughter plays basketball. 

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

My daughter is about to be a sophomore in high school and college coaches can't talk to her until September 1 of their junior year.  The only exception is to invite kids to summer camps or gather information.  It seems this would be an easy rule to add for football. 

Edit:  I failed to mention my daughter plays basketball. 

You do lady who plays at tc has offers from every major college softball program and got them as an 8th grader going into 9th grade. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

You do lady who plays at tc has offers from every major college softball program and got them as an 8th grader going into 9th grade. 

Then I suppose basketball has different rules?  Every NCAA presentation I've seen says they can't do that. 

• Upvote 1

I believe Alabama has offered a 8th grader a football scholarship .

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Then I suppose basketball has different rules?  Every NCAA presentation I've seen says they can't do that. 

Not saying the rule isn't there, but the coaches have ways around that rule.  Talk to travel coach, HS coach, parents etc and tell them you're offering.  Btw these are more or less educated guesses by me.  I'll have to do more digging but I'd imagine that is how it happens.